A good day to be retired

Khan

Gone but not forgotten
This morning, at the time I would have commuted, conditions were such that ice formed on overpasses and bridges.

There was much sliding and smashing of vehicles.

I had lunch near the beach today and decided to stroll along the sand instead of returning to work immediately. It was a gorgeous day, the surf was glistening in the bright sunlight, the temps in the upper 70s... you get the picture. I thought to myself, gee I could spend the entire afternoon out here and then have a glass of wine at sunset if I didn't have to get back to work.

It's a good day to be retired no matter what the weather is like. Further motivation, as if I needed any more ;)

Got up late and screwed around until about 10 am. Beautiful day! Met an old friend for lunch at 11:45. Left there (nice place) at 2:30. Ran errands until 3:30 and then walked my doggie. Now, a decent chardonnay and catfish with
turnip greens. Read the paper, write a couple of letters and then off to bed with a good book.
And so it goes....................

JG

Mr._johngalt said:
Now, a decent chardonnay and catfish with
turnip greens.
JG

So how'd you cook the catfish? And I hope the greens were sauteed with garlic & lemon juice?

I retired August 1st, and live in the northern part of the country. When working I would tell my wife in the winter, "if the roads are bad I'm not going to work". She would laugh because she knew if there was any way to make it I would go. Ice, snow even "white outs" would not stop me. I always made it. I at the time wondered why. Why risk it? I always hated to drive in that weather. There was no pressure from my work to have to go. Now, it retirement I say "I look forward to the times when the weather is bad and I don't have to go to work". I'll see soon.

sooner said:
Now, it retirement I say "I look forward to the times when the weather is bad and I don't have to go to work". I'll see soon.

I miss the days the snow was deep enough to close everything down. An unexpected day off was such a pleasure. Then I got stuck with the term "essential" employee which meant I had to come in. Of course I couldn't do anything since no one was around to execute.

The Other Michael said:
Waking up to the sound of rain drumming down and then rolling over with the brief thought of "sure glad I'm not having to go to work in that" is very satisfying.

:)

cheers,
Michael

Amen

sooner said:
I retired August 1st, and live in the northern part of the country. When working I would tell my wife in the winter, "if the roads are bad I'm not going to work". She would laugh because she knew if there was any way to make it I would go. Ice, snow even "white outs" would not stop me. I always made it. I at the time wondered why. Why risk it? I always hated to drive in that weather. There was no pressure from my work to have to go. Now, it retirement I say "I look forward to the times when the weather is bad and I don't have to go to work". I'll see soon.

As a teacher many days when the snow and ice came we were closed however when I worked in the city the last 20+ years when it snowed well the schools many times stayed open. I would say I was going to stay home BUT for some reason i would go in, deep snow Ice etc. Why I always wondered why? Maybe our parents instilled something in our heads about going to work unless you were really sick. All I know is I have 200 sick days left and am done in 15 days, I get a small percentage in a payment for them something like 18,000 dollars. Kool, maybe I will use some for a vacation in Feb.

I once had to stay at work for 3 days straight while a blizzard was going on, followed by the big shovelling job. Ah, the pleasures of healthcare! I really look forward to FIRE when I can stay home and read instead.

I called in one morning when the temp was -25F with a predicted high of -10F. I came in the next morning and the parking lot had many cars that had not started when it was time to leave.

Khan said:
This morning, at the time I would have commuted, conditions were such that ice formed on overpasses and bridges.

There was much sliding and smashing of vehicles.

Ha! I admit that, with some private gloating, I used to watch the morning rush hour traffic reports.

There but for the grace of ER go I.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom