A solution to 'divisive issues' Politics

C

Cut-Throat

I was listening to a radio program today, and the guest had a great solution for the 'divisive issues' in politics today.

The Congress has been debating the following issues lately, that most experts agree are not the major problems facing this country. While the deficiets keep piling up.

1.) Flag Burning
2.) Gay Marriage
3.) Illegal immigration
4.) Abortion

The reason that these topics are being brought forth is to 'energize' the base of the party to get them to turn out the vote for the upcoming elections.

His solution is mandatory voting with a small fine if you don't. He claimed that this is done is Australia, and the speaker thought that the fine was around $25. He claimed that Austraila had about a 96% voter turnout. It also prevents a small minority from running the country.

This sounds like a great idea. Maybe not an end-all solution, but certainly a step in the right direction. It's the only idea I've heard of that would bring about real change.

I've heard of countries like that and thought it was a good idea at first. I started to think about it. The only way for the gov't to know whether you voted would be for someone/something to review your completed ballot. You think the wire taps started a hugh debate? That one would get real ugly real fast. Not to mention there would be a lot of people who would vote without knowing anything about the issues and just making pretty patterns on the ballot. I'd prefer a minority to vote knowing hte issues than a majority not knowing anything about the issues.

lets-retire said:
I've heard of countries like that and thought it was a good idea at first. I started to think about it. The only way for the gov't to know whether you voted would be for someone/something to review your completed ballot.

Eh? I have to show my voter card/ID and sign a booklet indicating that I am who I am. Why would anyone need to look at my completed ballot?

lets-retire said:
I've heard of countries like that and thought it was a good idea at first. I started to think about it. The only way for the gov't to know whether you voted would be for someone/something to review your completed ballot. You think the wire taps started a hugh debate? That one would get real ugly real fast. Not to mention there would be a lot of people who would vote without knowing anything about the issues and just making pretty patterns on the ballot. I'd prefer a minority to vote knowing hte issues than a majority not knowing anything about the issues.

Showing up at the polls would be mandatory. Not casting a ballot for an office would be optional. So no ballots would need to be reviewed. It would force Politicans to start talking about things that the middle cares about, rather than the extreme at either end of the party.

Most of the people voting today today don't understand the issues anyway. That's why Congress is currently talking about nonsense! It's already ugly and we need a change!

Cut-Throat said:
His solution is mandatory voting with a small fine if you don't.  He claimed that this is done is Australia, and the speaker thought that the fine was around $25.
Isn't that called a "poll tax"?

I bet all the absentee-ballot voters abroad (and afloat or submerged) are a little nervous about this proposal.

But you gotta love it-- a capitalist solution to a democracy problem. Is this a great country or what?!?

I'm not looking for a job, but I wonder what the market is for counterfeit voting receipts...

Nords said:
Isn't that called a "poll tax"?

I thought a poll tax was a fee you pay TO vote, not a fine for violating a law (which is what the fine for not voting sounds like to me; I could be wrong).

I got a better idea. You give everyone $20 to vote. Put your ballot in the machine, out spits 20 bucks.

Martha said:
I got a better idea. You give everyone $20 to vote. Put your ballot in the machine, out spits 20 bucks.

Don't we already have a supersized version of this? Big $ campaign contributions for Representatives and Senators to vote? Yeah, they have to vote a certain way, but...

Martha said:

Great idea, but don't you think the left would complain that this benefits the wealthiest americans because they are the ones most likely to vote? :D

dusk_to_dawn said:
Great idea, but don't you think the left would complain that this benefits the wealthiest americans because they are the ones most likely to vote? :D

Not if there is $20 bucks in it for you. :)

eridanus said:
Eh? I have to show my voter card/ID and sign a booklet indicating that I am who I am. Why would anyone need to look at my completed ballot?

Because otherwise how would anybody know if you voted.  Just because you showed up doesn't mean you voted.  I like Martha's idea.  Heck I'll even vote twice if they let me. :D

Martha said:
Put your ballot in the machine, out spits 20 bucks.
ATMs appear to have 95% of the necessary design already present.

Better look up that patent application, Martha...

califdreamer said:
You could get rich in Chicago.

Yep, was just thinking that myself as I read the thread. We have a "pay for your vote" system here in Chicago already and it has been working effectively for years.  My dad worked for the city and the whole family spent countless hours "getting out the vote" to ensure his continued employment and that services were delivered to our neighborhood.  It didn't take $20 to buy a vote back then, only a pack of cigarettes given as a gratuity for doing your civic duty!

not sure how i feel about fines. but i saw something else on tv that mentioned giving a lottery ticket to everyone who showed up to vote. seems a little cheezy but i think it would catch on and it's not as threatening.

the fine thing would work but is it sort of counter-democratic? sort of like going over to another country and forcing them to be a democracy.

be free or be fined.

lazygood4nothinbum said:
not sure how i feel about fines. but i saw something else on tv that mentioned giving a lottery ticket to everyone who showed up to vote. seems a little cheezy but i think it would catch on and it's not as threatening.

the fine thing would work but is it sort of counter-democratic? sort of like going over to another country and forcing them to be a democracy.

be free or be fined.

The next time you get called for Jury Duty, tell them that you live in a democracy and this jury duty thing is a little counter-democratic, so you're not going to show up! :)

Freedom isn't free.

Cut-Throat said:
This sounds like a great idea. Maybe not an end-all solution, but certainly a step in the right direction. It's the only idea I've heard of that would bring about real change.

Sounds like a horrible idea to me. The fewer voters the better. I will always vote, and I figure people like me with a stake will also always vote. Who cares if crack-heads, schizophrenics and people with IQ of 75 don’t vote?

Ha

Did I hear lottery:confused:

Ok, everyone who votes receives a lottery ticket (put one of those machines at the exit door of the polling place), vote by mail folks get a voucher to go to their local supermarket machine. One month after the election the numbers are drawn. A pot of a million or two would draw enough interest. Cheap to administer (except the return mailing to vote by mail folks will cost a couple bucks), fun and likely to attain result desired.

HaHa said:
Sounds like a horrible idea to me. The fewer voters the better. I will always vote, and I figure people like me with a stake will also always vote. Who cares if crack-heads, schizophrenics and people with IQ of 75 don’t vote?

Ha

No these are the ones that are currently voting today. - That's why we have the government we do!

Mikey, are you sure no one has highjacked your moniker in the last few days? :confused:

I'm fine with low voter turnout, provided there's no impediment to folks exercising their right to vote. I'd rather not have disinterested folks (or ones who won't take the time to understand the issues) voting. If you DO understand and care about the issues/candidates, how could you choose NOT to vote?

North Korea and Cuba have really high voter turnout, too.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom