ACA sign Up

Status
Not open for further replies.
on the nevada site i am getting an incorrect subsidy calculation.
the nevada exhange people acknowledge it is incorrect.

any suggestions on what to do i am stuck.

Lots of us are stuck and I don't have Obama's phone number...:(

I heard today on the news that the "new" tech team is going to have it all fixed by the end of November. :rolleyes:

I have decided to continue my low-cost plan for reduced health care-exercise and healthy eating (and an apple a day).

i redid the whole signup process using my wifes name now it works.
used exact same income data

well i guess i can move on to the next pitfall

waiting is logical but the problem with that approach could be a higher volume of screw up will swamp them.

Wait 3 or 4 months. Generic advise to everyone. Never buy the first release of software, wait for Service Pack 1 at least.

Assuming it's not software that can save your life (or prevent you from going broke from it) in an emergency which has a license that expires on December 31....

i redid the whole signup process using my wifes name now it works....

+1 I got sick of waiting for them to add the functionality to allow mw to add my wife under my existing account. There was an obscure "Add+" button on the screen when I put in my information that I missed (not "Add a family member" button or anything like that. But anyway, I was able to establish an account in DW's name, get it verified, put in her and my personal information and it is now showing me plans that will cover both of us so I am ready to buy.

I am delaying for now only because I have a question in to them as to whether I can buy a catastrophic policy, which would be about 55% of the cost of the bronze policy even though the coverage is poorer but isn't that much different than the high-deductible bronze policy but I suspect that will be a wild goose chase.

Hard to say how much blame should go to the contractor.
I used to provide a lot of timely information about ACA and I then I started indicating that my information was no longer going to be as timely. And in what I will claim is completely unrelated news, my spouse is much happier in a new job, thanks for asking, and so glad to be out of where my spouse used to work that we won't pick up or return the calls my spouse gets from her previous employer. (There's a relevant response to what you wrote, inherent in my reply - sorry I cannot be more explicit.)

And then, if I understand this correctly, an awful lot of the ACA really just offloads decisions to the Dept of H&HS - so have those decisions been defined and time allowed for coding? How much of that is still in flux?
To be fair, many of the details regarding the requirements for the exchanges were indeed up to the states (and by proxy H&HS) and there is good reason to believe that changes were being made far later than any reasonable person would expect to be able to make changes without risking significant regressions.

Last edited:
+1 I got sick of waiting for them to add the functionality to allow mw to add my wife under my existing account. There was an obscure "Add+" button on the screen when I put in my information that I missed (not "Add a family member" button or anything like that. But anyway, I was able to establish an account in DW's name, get it verified, put in her and my personal information and it is now showing me plans that will cover both of us so I am ready to buy. I am delaying for now only because I have a question in to them as to whether I can buy a catastrophic policy, which would be about 55% of the cost of the bronze policy even though the coverage is poorer but isn't that much different than the high-deductible bronze policy but I suspect that will be a wild goose chase.

I believe you're going to find that the catastrophic plan is available only to those under 30 years of age (at least thru the exchange).

"Forget the website, our phone lines are opens, operators are standing by and so will you...or do it the nostalgic way of a good old snail mail....and if you order before midnight tonight we'll through in a date with Kathleen Sibelius..."

And it seems many concerns about healthy young people not signing up are already being realized Medicaid enrollment spike a threat to Obamacare structure? - CBS News

Tech savvy young will not tolerate poor web design, and will be the first to abandon the plan due to these "glitches" or more to the point incompetence

"Forget the website, our phone lines are opens, operators are standing by and so will you...or do it the nostalgic way of a good old snail mail....and if you order before midnight tonight we'll through in a date with Kathleen Sibelius..." And it seems many concerns about healthy young people not signing up are already being realized Medicaid enrollment spike a threat to Obamacare structure? - CBS News Tech savvy young will not tolerate poor web design, and will be the first to abandon the plan due to these "glitches" or more to the point incompetence

Those at the 800 # have to use the exact same website as the general public when entering information. And there was an article yesterday that the subcontractor that was hired to handle the paper applications is concerned that they're going to be overwhelmed (since it was expected they would handle limited numbers). Again, turns out, they're having to enter the paper application information, again, into the same website system that the general public uses.

I wonder how many of those paper applications will, between now and the end of December, somehow mysteriously go missing (and how many of them will be disposed of, after the fact, in non-shredded form).

"Forget the website, our phone lines are opens, operators are standing by and so will you...or do it the nostalgic way of a good old snail mail....and if you order before midnight tonight we'll through in a date with Kathleen Sibelius..."

And it seems many concerns about healthy young people not signing up are already being realized Medicaid enrollment spike a threat to Obamacare structure? - CBS News

Tech savvy young will not tolerate poor web design, and will be the first to abandon the plan due to these "glitches" or more to the point incompetence

That's a real easy decision for some because of the following:

1. many part time workers (and more being created these days) have small incomes and qualify for Medicaid,
2. it's easier to sign up for Medicaid vs. this crappy ACA process,
3. Medicaid is free to users,
4. You see the same doctors in a lot of cases,
5. it's state run,
6. no insurance companies to deal with.

Not a hard decision for the right people.

The fact that dependents have been allowed to remain on their parents' policies until the age of 26 might help get more young ones signed up with Obamacare.

Those accustomed to having health insurance up to an age where they are actually beginning to think like adults might think a bit longer and harder about exposing themselves to the financial risk and health risk of going naked.

I believe you're going to find that the catastrophic plan is available only to those under 30 years of age (at least thru the exchange).

The BCBS rep that I talked with indicated that we might be eligible if we are over 30, not eligible for subsidy (which we could make happen with some capital gains or Roth conversions) and the cheapest plan available to us >8% of our income. So I'm thinking if we go just over 400% FPL that the cheapest plan available would be more than 8% pf our income and we would qualify to buy a catastrophic policy. My main question is what happens if we do buy a catastrophic policy based on a $64k projected income and I take more in capital gains/Roth conversons and our income is higher so the premiums are less than 8% of our income.

BTW, I think the catastrophic qualification requirements for Vermont may be different than nationally since we have taken a number of different tacks than Obamacare nationally (no age grading of premiums, merging individual/small group markets, no HI available outside the exchanges, etc.).

I got a little further today. First time I have tried the site in over a week. Got to the point where it says my application is complete. Then prompts me with a green button to view eligibility results. And of course nothing happens when clicking on the area. Previous pages where I clicked on a similar button I was able to move on. I guess this is the next bug in the system. Guess I'll wait another week to see if I can get any further.

I got a little further today. First time I have tried the site in over a week. Got to the point where it says my application is complete. Then prompts me with a green button to view eligibility results. And of course nothing happens when clicking on the area. Previous pages where I clicked on a similar button I was able to move on. I guess this is the next bug in the system. Guess I'll wait another week to see if I can get any further.

Look for downloads.

MRG

Look for downloads.

MRG

Saw none.

Actually I should say none on this attempt. I did get a download on 10/6 giving me my eligibility and there was just a dot in the box. Another dot under 'next steps'. Maybe that is a code for I am screwed. ;)

Last edited:
It's official, we have ACA insurance. Got a notice from the insurer that we need to make the first payment to confirm our coverage. Then they will send us the Summary Benefit of Coverage. I read what I could on the HealthCare.gov site when I was still able to see plans and also from the insurers own page about their ACA plan. It better be the same.

I was very surprised when this came in the mail. I had been checking my account and nothing changed, no online notices, no updates showing progress, no email notifications. I honestly thought it was all still stuck in limbo.

For once, falling through a crack is a good thing. I think......

Our 26 year old son is still getting nowhere. He has made 2 accounts, filled out all the info in one and was told to click to see his eligibility but nothing happens, no letter shows up. On the other account the same thing happens but now whenever he checks, his info is gone and has to be re-entered. Still can't see the Eligibilty Letter.

Last Wednesday he called the 800 number, got escalated and has been waiting for his "2 business day" callback.

True, but in our state the cost difference between a couple and family bronze plan exceeds the cost of of a catastrophic plan for a single , so if your kid is healthy I think one might be better off buying a separate catastrophic plan for the kid.

On the flip side, if you are eligible for subsidy and if you are in your 50's (most of us ER's are), it is quite likely that the kids policy is given gratis.

Yes, it costs you ZERO additional dollars as your expenditure is capped at fixed percentage around 9%. If you are already at that level, which is what subsidy-eligible means, adding a person to the policy doesn't cost any thing more. The subsidy just expands to accommodate the increased cost!

After I signed up for coverage through my state's (New York) exchange back on October 5th, I was hoping to hear from my new company to confirm coverage. (Actually, my new company is not really new. I have an existing policy through them which is not ACA compliant and will be expiring at the end of 2013. I just happen to choose them for my new, broader policy through the exchange.) It took two attempts in the last week or so, navigating through some hellish automated phone system just to be able to talk to a live person, only to be told they would not have the new exchange customers in their system until early November. That's okay as long as the voice on the other end of the line wasn't just putting me off by covering for the possibility that she had no idea if that would be true. I guess I'll find out pretty soon.

After I signed up for coverage through my state's (New York) exchange back on October 5th, I was hoping to hear from my new company to confirm coverage. (Actually, my new company is not really new. I have an existing policy through them which is not ACA compliant and will be expiring at the end of 2013. I just happen to choose them for my new, broader policy through the exchange.) It took two attempts in the last week or so, navigating through some hellish automated phone system just to be able to talk to a live person, only to be told they would not have the new exchange customers in their system until early November. That's okay as long as the voice on the other end of the line wasn't just putting me off by covering for the possibility that she had no idea if that would be true. I guess I'll find out pretty soon.

I was told the same by both the agent and the 800 line ... It'd be late November before I'd hear anything.

I received my welcome letter and first months bill in the mail yesterday.

It looks like I was able to upload two documents into the ACA application for my daughter yesterday. Previously, this function on the website was not working for me. We uploaded an Employer Coverage Tool form and a letter from her employer stating she is not eligible to be covered under their health insurance plan.

I hope this will finalize the application and provide her with the subsidy as there was no indication that she was approved for one through the application.

How does one tell the system has approved an applicant for the subsidy if they qualify by income level and non-existing coverage?

It looks like I was able to upload two documents into the ACA application for my daughter yesterday. Previously, this function on the website was not working for me. We uploaded an Employer Coverage Tool form and a letter from her employer stating she is not eligible to be covered under their health insurance plan.

I hope this will finalize the application and provide her with the subsidy as there was no indication that she was approved for one through the application.

How does one tell the system has approved an applicant for the subsidy if they qualify by income level and non-existing coverage?

Log out and in, do you see a 'download eligibility results'. Ive also seen a green view eligibility, but never got that to work. Try looking at the next steps for your application, hopefully its 'enroll'. Failing all else 1-800....

Best wishes,

MRG

Log out and in, do you see a 'download eligibility results'. Ive also seen a green view eligibility, but never got that to work. Try looking at the next steps for your application, hopefully its 'enroll'. Failing all else 1-800....

Best wishes,

MRG

I was going to give it another try this morning. Guess what? System is down.

I was going to give it another try this morning. Guess what? System is down.

Now how can that be? I just heard K. Sebelius testify it was never down, just slow:). Guess she shouldn't have jinxed it.

MRG

Now how can that be? I just heard K. Sebelius testify it was never down, just slow:). Guess she shouldn't have jinxed it.

MRG

What she said is that the Verizon hub or something is not working and you cannot access it (along with other sites)... but it is up and running....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom