Active Shooter Awareness Training at work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2HOTinPHX

Full time employment: Posting here.
Wow we get a few online training emails every year for things like corporate compliance and stuff but never one like this. I guess it's a sign of the times and perhaps a good thing in today's environment.
Just started a few screens seems like common sense things so far. Look out for strangers outside and strange behavior by fellow employees and report it.
Not sure what else you could do in an actual incident other than run for your life if possible. Scary to even think about.

Any chance of training and arming a few of the employees?

We started receiving these types of training several years ago during my last few years of w***ing in a medical office. I always though that if I couldn't make it out through the fire exit, I would lock myself in one of our storage closets and drop to the ground.

I had that training at work almost 10 years ago, and there was a quiz. I flunked the first question -- what should you do if you hear gunshots? So did the head of the department, a Marine. Both of us had variations on the same answer - go toward where you hear the gunfire, find out what is happening and try to make it stop. Evidently, the proper answer is, in order, 1) run, 2) hide, 3) fight.

We used to have that.

Also we had armed guards walking around.

And I worked in an office not readily open to the public. It wasn't like just anyone could waltz in.

We train on this, too. Several at work are weapons-trained and armed. It’s a sobering type of training.

We had a situation at work where active shooter training would have been helpful. A man chasing another man with a pistol ran into our office, chased the other man through some hallways and out the door. Nobody was hurt in our office, but the women in the office were shaken up over the event. I wasn't there at the time.

Never had any. The buildings were all secured with a gaurd that handled anyone else. While anything is possible, someone probably would have picked a softer facility.

We had shooter incidents in Megacorp offices from the 1980s, so that has been part of the annual business ethics/safety education, in some form, since those times.

Several of the Megacorp locations had data center rooms, which were more secure than general office space. When my office was located close to those rooms, that is what I planned (or hoped to) make a beeline for should any incident arise. Lots of places to hide, including under the raised floor.

I worked for a very large organization with many field offices. During my 40 year career we had two active shooter tragedies in remote offices.

Everyone, including us at Corporate, got the active shooter awareness training every year or two. Training was pretty basic … Run-hide-fight.

After the second tragedy i trained up and got a concealed weapons permit. Carried daily for many years. No one in my office ever knew.

A shooter got into a business a few blocks from us. Same industry as us. So, we took it pretty seriously. We did a few drills. Yes, the Run, Hide, Fight was taught.

CC wasn't allowed in our building before the incident, but was allowed afterward.

There was a shooter back in the 80s at the site I was working at. It was in a manufacturing building, and maybe it was before I even started because I don't recall any site wide announcement or warning. I knew a guy who was there and he heard shots and someone one went running by him yelling "Scatter!" so that the shooter couldn't just fire into a clump of people. I don't recall other details.

I know what is meant by training to run towards danger. A clip I saw of the Boston marathon bombing showed a middle aged cop looking toward the camera, and when the bomb went off behind him he turned and ran towards it with no hesitation.

We had shooter incidents in Megacorp offices from the 1980s, so that has been part of the annual business ethics/safety education, in some form, since those times.

Several of the Megacorp locations had data center rooms, which were more secure than general office space. When my office was located close to those rooms, that is what I planned (or hoped to) make a beeline for should any incident arise. Lots of places to hide, including under the raised floor.

Cold under those raised floors!

I had corporate training several times on this by an expert. My takeaways was first choice run away if you can. Second choice hide. Final choice is fight.

We had lots of training when I w*rked for the bank. Lots. But never this. That said I worked in a back office environment, not at a bank branch. And went self employed in 2009.

Run hide fight! Could be a Metallica song. They might prefer to fight first though.

A shooter got into a business a few blocks from us. Same industry as us. So, we took it pretty seriously. We did a few drills. Yes, the Run, Hide, Fight was taught.

CC wasn't allowed in our building before the incident, but was allowed afterward.

I would have been very apprehensive if I knew that some of my co-workers were armed, legally or not.

I would have been very apprehensive if I knew that some of my co-workers were armed, legally or not.

The day my job allows armed employees they will immediately be short one doctor as I’ll quit on the spot.

The day my job allows armed employees they will immediately be short one doctor as I’ll quit on the spot.

Wow, I feel the exact opposite. Most of our male employees were ex military (Vietnam vets) and very accomplished with firearms. I would feel comfortable if these people were armed in our workplace.

^^^^^
+1 (or more) Especially if I know they have had training/experience and are "mature" individuals. And I prefer folks that legally conceal carry vs open carry.

Nevada allows open carry and if I see someone doing that I immediately leave the business.

Nevada allows open carry and if I see someone doing that I immediately leave the business.
You probably wouldn't like it around here. This sign is posted outside one of the local restaurants. Most folks carry concealed (I think) but every time I go there I see a few that are open carrying. Lot's of cops eat there too...

Attachments

• Guns Welcome.JPG
    Guns Welcome.JPG
    104.9 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
My last office had many law enforcement personnel in it on a regular basis, so it was a good bet that there was always somebody armed there. I have never wanted to carry, because it is too much of a pain in the butt. You always have to be aware that you have a weapon and obsess about whether it is safe and secure.

Yes carrying is a bit of a PIA. For me, when I do carry (concealed) I never carry with a round in the chamber (Auto) or one under the hammer (revolver)

Final choice is fight.

I always asked "With what?"

No answer, surprise, surprise.

I had a stapler on my desk, but I don't think that would help - nor would my fists.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom