Adventures in building a forever home (Move in date 12/2024)

That's a lot of concrete. Off hand do you know how many yards? I'm curious on the "brick" pattern on your foundation walls. Was that pattern on the inside of your concrete forms? Never seen it before. I kinda like it

The brick pattern is a component of the forms. I agree, it looks better than just blank walls, although the front concrete surfaces are getting stone.

Total concrete so far - 132 yards. Still have the garage slab and back lower patio to go, so probably 150+.

Last edited:
The DW and I got out to the construction site yesterday. First time she had seen it in person since setting the corner. Interior walls on the main floor were mostly in, so we I got to walk her through it. Pretty fun. Trusses were delivered as we were on site.

There will be a few changes we discussed with the builder...based on some good input from an interior designer (and the builder's wife) whom we are working with.

More photos for those enjoying watching money fly out of my pockets:)

https://photos.app.goo.gl/8UrTwML8JNY2BcnVA

That's a lot of concrete. Off hand do you know how many yards? I'm curious on the "brick" pattern on your foundation walls. Was that pattern on the inside of your concrete forms? Never seen it before. I kinda like it

The brick pattern forms have been in use for a long time around here. Our home was built in 1999. You can create some interesting effects by painting them. I was really pleased how the area near our patio turned out but when I showed DW she asked when I was going to do the rest of the foundation walls.:facepalm:

Attachments

• IMG_0707.jpeg
    IMG_0707.jpeg
    36.3 KB · Views: 98
The DW and I got out to the construction site yesterday. First time she had seen it in person since setting the corner. Interior walls on the main floor were mostly in, so we I got to walk her through it. Pretty fun. Trusses were delivered as we were on site.

There will be a few changes we discussed with the builder...based on some good input from an interior designer (and the builder's wife) whom we are working with.

More photos for those enjoying watching money fly out of my pockets:)

https://photos.app.goo.gl/8UrTwML8JNY2BcnVA

Nice to see the photos.

I really like the brick impression on the poured concrete, a great idea.

Did you have a an architect design the house ?

Nice to see the photos.

I really like the brick impression on the poured concrete, a great idea.

Did you have a an architect design the house ?

Bought a plan and then did some modifications to it with the architect. Here is the plan as purchased. Big changes were adding 2 feet to the master closet, adding 1 foot and walk in shower to the master bath, re-arranging the guest bathroom, and moving the stairs to the center so my office could occupy the stairs area.

https://www.architecturaldesigns.com/house-plans/one-story-country-craftsman-house-plan-with-screened-porch-architectural-designs-24392tw

It will be beautiful when finished. Enjoy!

The DW and I went appliance shopping yesterday. I had a number of $15k in my head before, now that number has slipped to $20K-$23K. This for an induction cooktop, wall oven set (full and fast oven), dishwasher, refrigerator (built in 42), small beer/wine refrig.

To make myself feel better I poked around a couple of $25k+ refrigerators when there, and dismissed them out of hand:cool:

Lots has been happening on the new home construction front, but visibly there have not been many changes until now:

Google Photos of Progress 5/2/24

Here is a random list of things from the last few weeks:
- HVAC contractor was going to install builder grade Trane duel fuel system and crappy thermostat. Got with the builder and for another $2500 upgraded to a dual stage 96 efficiency system from Trane with their wireless thermostat. The system would have worked OK, but for a little more I have a much better system.
- Roofing was finished. We wanted the blackest asphalt shingles we could find, and they were Tanko Titan X.
- Garage floor has been finally poured.
- Plumber and HVAC contractor are roughing in everything.
- Going with a larger system pressure tank to ensure more steady flow, set to 50-70.
- Windows arrived..all $50K worth, and builder is installing now. He was a big Marvin guy, but he said the Pella windows, and particularly the Pella sliding doors, are superior to Marvin, to his surprise (Pella Lifestyle vs Marvin Elevate).
- Builder was working to install the 16 x 8 foot double slider that opens up to make the screened porch like an additional room. The thing is huge.
- Glad I made the bedroom sliding door larger (72 vs 60) at the last minute.
- The DW and I are working with a designer on Kitchen, utility room, bathrooms. Lots of decisions.
- The preferred cabinet maker is not delivering until December.....may need to go to plan B.
- Are close to deciding on an appliance package. $20K+........everything is either $10K or $20K+......I am numb to it now. Kinda feels like I am struggling forward in a blizzard, knowing that somewhere in the distance there is a warm fire waiting for me. All good though.
- Wood floor is going to be maple...just not sure if select and better or #1 and better. I like a little character.
- I have been scouring the online Bargin bins to save a dollar here, dollar there. Got my bathroom fans from Amazon refurb and Ebay for about 40% savings, putting together the bathroom faucet and shower systems from various sources (Ebay, Delta factory refurb, Amazon refurb) saving 50%+ often. Builder lets me supply whatever I want.
- Purchased $5 K of decorative stuff for the house (shutters, gables, supports). DW and I will paint and deliver to the house.

Enough for now. Will be out there on Tuesday for an electrical rough in walk.

Back
Top Bottom