Adventures in Ketosis (long)

Been on keto for last 2 weeks, and the weight is melting off. I 2nd the use of Keto urine test strips. I'm still craving salty snacks, since I still workout a lot and lose sweat, so now back to roasting and seasoning my own raw almonds and pecans with coconut oil, garlic, paprika, and cayenne, or whatever. Great snack, but don't overdue nuts, either.

I bought Keto urine strips on Monday, My first 3 tests were higher than 15 bit not by much. Today's test I could definitely see more change towards
the 40 mark, not there, but moving that way.

It does take a few days to get into full ketosis.

Your body has to use up all its glycogen, which releases a lot of water, so results in a lot of peeing and initial rapid weight loss. Then it can start burning fat.

It still takes a while to adapt to mostly fat burning (ketones).

After a few days ketones should go up quite a bit, then settle down some as the body becomes more efficient at using ketones.

Some people say after a few months the urine ketones will disappear as the body becomes more efficient at using them up. That didn’t happen to me, I still see ketones in my urine, although lower than what I went up to at the start. Initially after a week or so I was seeing 80 or even a bit darker and stayed at the high level for a long time. Now after 9 months it’s more around 15 or a little darker.

Last edited:
I was a little disappointed I didn't see a larger number, (but I didn't have a reference), But it looks like it's headed the right way.

I bought a loaf of Franz White Keto Bread earlier this week. It is zero net carbs. IOW, total carbs - fiber carbs = 0.

In my opinion, if you must have bread and ordinary bread wont do, then it's an OK substitute. I found it drier than regular white bread and not nearly as tasty as my homemade bread. At $6 a loaf it is rather pricey.

It's best used with foods that have a good substantial taste of their own. In that respect it's kind of like tofu. For example, I toasted a slice, spread some butter on it, and then a spoon of my homemade keto raspberry jam. Good due to my jam and the butter.

Last edited:
Watching Youtube videos about LCHF diet and the lowering affect on insulin.
Here's a video with nutritionist Amy Berger, at 22:00 she's discussing how high insulin contributes to fat tissue growth, skin tag growth, polycystic ovary syndrome and BPH, along with muscle grouth.

It kind of jumped out at me as I've been following the BPH thread.

https://youtu.be/yPPNL_JDxDQ?t=1

2. Urine Ketones aka “peetones” are ridiculous.
This topic has been beaten to death so I’m going to keep it short. Ketones in the urine are often non-detectable post-ketoadaption, resulting in people thinking they are no longer in ketosis when in fact they are just adapting, thus spilling over less ketone, and the Ketostix have outlasted their usefulness. Further, hydration levels are a confounder in urine ketone testing, which can result in a “false positive” and a “false negative.” Additionally, urine ketones measure wasted ketones – those which are being excreted from the body, not those which are actively being utilized. These ketones are not and were not used by brain. How can one verify if the body is using ketones as an energy source if the only ketones being tested are not being utilized as an energy source? Lastly, peeing on sticks is gross.

https://www.ketogains.com/2017/08/stopped-testing-ketones-ketogenic-diet/

Confused by this test strip comparison picture. It's numbers run 0.5, 1.5, 4.0, 8.0, 16. My test strips have numbers 10 times higher, 5, 15, 40, etc.
Is it that I don't see a slip of the decimal point, mMol/L vs mmol/dL?

Second picture here,
https://www.menshealth.com/nutrition/a28139472/ketosis-strips/

These test strips are cheap and have a lower scale. Or pay for the device. What does long life and good health cost ... is what I occasionally tell myself.

F4PabA4.jpg

Link 1: Amazon $6 Ketone Test Strips, 150 Urinalysis Keto Test Strips

Link 2: Amazon $60 KETO-MOJO Bluetooth Blood Ketone and Glucose Testing Kit

Confused by this test strip comparison picture. It's numbers run 0.5, 1.5, 4.0, 8.0, 16. My test strips have numbers 10 times higher, 5, 15, 40, etc.
Is it that I don't see a slip of the decimal point, mMol/L vs mmol/dL?

Second picture here,
https://www.menshealth.com/nutrition/a28139472/ketosis-strips/

Some test strips are marked in mmol/L, others in mg/dL. That’s all. SI units versus typical US units. The range of colors on the bottle is what matters.
https://8fit.com/nutrition/what-are-ketone-test-strips-and-how-to-measure-ketosis/

Last edited:
Some test strips are marked in mmol/L, others in mg/dL. That’s all. SI units versus typical US units. The range of colors on the bottle is what matters.
https://8fit.com/nutrition/what-are-ketone-test-strips-and-how-to-measure-ketosis/
Sorry for any confusion I caused.

LN8nZxK.jpg

mmol/L is the most common measurement used in the UK with mg/dL predominantly used in the USA and continental Europe.

mmol/L International standard unit for measuring the concentration of glucose in the blood – also known as millimolar (mM). This unit is used in the UK. : Millimoles per litre

mg/dL Unit for measuring concentration of glucose in the blood in the USA – milligrams per decilitre. : Milligrams per 100 millilitres

Re: audreyh1: That table would be for a specific molecule, and not acetoacetone, I think.
Seems correct per this conversion site: http://unitslab.com/node/227

Last edited:
It's pretty easy to use urine strips that detect ketosis. They are cheap and available at drug stores and Walmart - usually in the diabetic supplies section.

Tip:
qETm2Xd.png

The Adventure Continues.

I received a Keto Mojo Ketone and Glucose blood test meter today.
My first test was about an hour after supper and I measured 1.9 mmo/L

for Ketone and 129 for Glucose. So I'd say I'm in Ketosis. I don't know what
to think about the Glucose number, Might come down some after my meal processes.

That's a fairly normal seeming glucose level for 1 hour post prandial. Maybe a touch high, but certainly nothing to worry about.

I used glucose measurements to compare different foods, but I found that it's complicated. Note that the readings increased even after zero-carb meals:

NZH3Yt1.png

Well, just got my blood test results after doing the LCHF, sort of keto, lifestyle for the past year. I wasn't religious about it or anything, but for the most part I did a decent job of it. I've been Type II diabetic for 15 years, but recently (and due to LCHF and IF) I've lost 40 lbs and got my A1c down (from 6.2 to 5.2) to the point where I could stop taking insulin. Also have had high cholesterol and was on statins for awhile until I stopped due to bad reactions to the meds.

So now it's time for another doctor visit, and I got my labs done. This time my A1c was 4.9, my fasting blood sugar was 124, which is really low for me, and I got a fasting insulin test for the first time. It was 6.9, which looks pretty non-diabetic to me. Add in pretty decent lipid scores, and I'm happy as a pig in poop. I was still a bit high or low on a couple of numbers, but even those are within a margin of error of normal. This lifestyle rocks! It will be interesting to see what the doctor has to say.

Last edited:
That’s just fantastic! Congratulations!

Yes, fasting insulin under 7.5 - no metabolic syndrome there!

What great A1C numbers, and getting off insulin - what a lifesaver!

Please post what the doctor says.

This is anecdotal, but I suspect it's true, and most of you may know it already, I want for a walk, shortly after getting home I did a blood ketone test, and got 1.6, yesterday, 3 hours after my walk, I had the same 1.6.
When I went to bed I had a 0.6 and when I woke up, I had a 0.6. So, I'm thinking that exercise is very good at raising your blood ketone level, and very easy to understand why.
Exercise uses more energy, meaning I need to burn more fat to power my muscles, that fat is converted to ketones in my blood.
Am I getting close.

Triglycerides (TGs or generically fat) is converted to free fatty acids (FFAs) and glycerol in you fat cells and released into your blood stream. The FFAs can be burned by tissues directly or taken up by the liver which converts them into ketone bodies and then releases them into the bloodstream. The ketone bodies can then be used by various tissues as fuel. The glycerol from the TGs can be converted to glucose in the liver and be released for use in burning the ketone bodies or be used directly for fuel mainly by the brain.

I've been doing well keeping within a ketone range of 0.9 to 2.0mmo/L for a few days now, until last night, I dropped to 0.4.

Two things happened I had a glass of Milk (13grams of carb) and I took two Aleve.
I find nothing about Aleve reducing Ketones online and 13gr of carbs might have pushed me to 30 or 35 gr.
Anyone else have a problem with Aleve?

I think this is just a good example of how something high carb can lower ketosis and why you have to maintain a strict carb limit if you want to be in ketosis. Everyone is different in terms of what that limit is.

I don’t know anything about pain killers and ketosis.

End of second week on a Keto diet, blood monitor says I'm staying between 0.6 and 2.4, with one reading that dropped to 0.4. So I'm doing well at staying in Ketosis.
Just want to report my weight loss. I wanted to lose at least 10 lbs. We will see after that. I started at 163lbs after week 1, 160lbs after 2 weeks, 156-3/4lbs.
I have at least a hot bouillon drink daily occasionally two. And added 1 magnesium pill and my hand and daily lower leg cramps are gone. But this is
complicated by the fact that my BP is dropping and I'm reducing my Statin, which are known to cause muscle cramps.
Doing well so far, will be very interested in my blood tests at the end of March.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom