Aerate or Power Rake First???

FinanceDude

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
It seems to me it would make sense to get all the dead grass out BEFORE doing the aerating, but I thought I would leave it up to the experts on here to guide me.............:)

Thanks.......... :D

Either or.

I'd say dethatch if it's bad...but if its minimal, aeration is just as effective, and cheaper/easier. your goasl by doing either is to get air to the root zone...and doing BOTH is not needed.

Dethatching will have a longer lasting effect. aerating is cheaper, but will need to be repeated a year or 2 down the road....probably next year if the thatch is bad. so if it is, dethatch and fugeddaboutit

Most people don't really have much of a thatch problem. A thin layer of dead stuff in not a problem, just the natural decay cycle. I think it is a bigger problem down south.

Your in WI, right?

As I understand it, aeration is very important. Soil gets packed down and roots can't grow, moisture does not soak in as well, not as much activity going on to cause the thatch to decay, etc, etc, etc.

I got the plug aerator from Home Depot (or Menards?). You put some weight in it and pull behind the garden tractor. So I do it a couple times a year, and it seems to be helping. The areas that get walked on and compacted I go over a bunch of times.

-ERD50

Back
Top Bottom