Aging in place and landlord exit strategies

I not sure if Mrs Nords meant if you actually died in the house or if she meant once you were gone she didn't want to live there alone. We bought the farm we live in now from the widow of a gentleman who had a heart attack and died before the ambulance showed up. I've often wondered where in the house he died, but never asked because I really don't want to know.

Perhaps it's just that Mrs N wants to keep her options open if she becomes a widow and a lack of options would make her uneasy. I certainly understand that viewpoint, but being one block away from a shopping center would be a deal breaker for me. It sounds right now you both are happy with the solution you worked out.

Nice! Inspirational. Am going to take a nap.:blush:

Fixed the lock on my door... once... a long time ago.

A modern version of Tom Sawyer and whitewashing the fence. Nicely done!
Um. I think I'll neglect to share this comment with her.

But she'd agree that she's willing to do the work for something that's important to her.

Congratulations, Nords! I am glad that you and your DW have come to an understanding about the rental, that is completely satisfactory to both. I think that any of us who have ever been married can appreciate what a fulfilling accomplishment it is to work out a difficult solution like that and move on with one mind about it.
I'm very impressed how you two had very frank and productive discussions and came to a solution you can both live with, rather easily it seems.
Our common Navy background helps a lot. We're comfortable at turning over the duty, especially as we get older. We've also inherited too many bag jobs from our ancestors, and we're not going to do that to each other (or to our daughter & son-in-law).

Money is supposed to give us choices. We can't leave a property standing empty, yet we're not going to run a charity shelter. In any case I don't want to live with the burden of caring for it. I especially dislike the stress of repairing plumbing or other problems while everyone's waiting for an update. Maybe a property manager (and their handyman) would ease that stress.

Really nice. This is kind of what I want to do too. Get rid of the island (or peninsula) and open up a wall with a bar counter. Dump the nook.

Thanks for the inspiration.
Seek professional help! I was shocked at how much framing surrounds the "simple" hole in that wall, and at how much electrical wiring had to be re-routed. At least the photo album gives you a template to copy.

I not sure if Mrs Nords meant if you actually died in the house or if she meant once you were gone she didn't want to live there alone.
[...]
Perhaps it's just that Mrs N wants to keep her options open if she becomes a widow and a lack of options would make her uneasy. I certainly understand that viewpoint, but being one block away from a shopping center would be a deal breaker for me. It sounds right now you both are happy with the solution you worked out.
When I'm dead (wherever it happens, preferably in the surf) she doesn't want to be in a house surrounded by memories of me.

Of course we've created plenty more memories together in that rental when we lived in it from 1989-2000. We could discuss that paradox, yet I suspect its logic has little relevance (let alone recency) when compared to the emotional burden.

I agree with you that the shopping center's noise outweighs its convenient proximity. I didn't appreciate that until I spent nearly 10 weeks working near it.

Seek professional help! I was shocked at how much framing surrounds the "simple" hole in that wall, and at how much electrical wiring had to be re-routed. At least the photo album gives you a template to copy.

Yes, I'm going to have to. My wall is load bearing for starters. It also has electrical, and one side serves as a "chase" for many circuits. There is also a vent pipe in there. That whole idea may be untenable. But if it does happen, it will take some serious know how.

Our common Navy background helps a lot. We're comfortable at turning over the duty, especially as we get older....

Money is supposed to give us choices. We can't leave a property standing empty, yet we're not going to run a charity shelter. In any case I don't want to live with the burden of caring for it. I especially dislike the stress of repairing plumbing or other problems while everyone's waiting for an update. Maybe a property manager (and their handyman) would ease that stress.

Kudos. That ability to turn over the duty to someone you trust a bunch is very admirable. Only niggle is you standing by to do repairs as needed instead of a tradesman. I can divorce myself from a duty but have a hard time gracefully stepping down to on call labor force. A problem with wanting to second guess - "if the contract had said", or "if you had scheduled regular maintenence on the AC..". You're a better man than me McGee.

We had a little discussion last night based on your post - sounds like landlording continues in my future unless I come up with something really engaging, at which point she will throw in behind me. Sitting on my duff seems not to qualify.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom