All MS Office Documents Lost!

On windows there is a downloadable file called synctoy from Microsoft that will synchronize to locations so it can be used to backup important documents to usb sticks or additional hard drives.

I think Time Machine is excellent and easy to use. I have an external disk drive attached for the hourly backups. I recently screwed up a file and it was a piece of cake to recover an earlier version of that file from the backup.

When I retired in 2010 I switched from MS Office to Open Office on my Windows PC. When I converted to a Mac I downloaded Open Office for Macs and it works great. My wife and I recently upgraded to High Sierra and no problem with Open Office.

LibreOffice is the continuation of Open Office, forked off when OpenOffice was killed by Oracle, who later gave it away to Apache, where it has continued on again.
LibreOffice is released more often as it has more development going on.

I use Google Docs, but for those that are looking for another solution and have a Mac, they could look at using Apple’s Numbers and Pages apps. I’ve never used them, but they could be a good alternative to MS, especially if you don’t want to use a cloud based solution.

+1 on bullet dodging. Worth remembering what the big iron people used to say, "No backups? No sympathy!"

+1 on this too.

Do you know where your files are?

In the race to "dumb down" operating systems, vendors (Windows, Apple and Google) have been trying to hide everything from the user. Like where their files are stored. Or even what a file is, never mind what the file system looks like.

I strongly recommend you think about where you're putting your files. Maybe your ideal filing system is something more than what the vendor provides. Maybe you don't want all your files spread out in different locations based on which different app created them. Or maybe you don't want them all mixed together in one "my documents" folder.

Having a system that organizes them for the way YOU work is going to take some thought, but it'll pay huge dividends in the end.

Once you know where your "stuff" is, it'll be easy to back up, easy to find, and if you accidentally drag and drop it somewhere else, you'll notice right away.

I totally agree with choosing OpenOffice or LibraOffice over Office 360. That version was the final nail in the coffin for me. M$ has totally converted over to subscription-based pricing and strongly pushes cloud storage. Both of these are non-starters for me.

Edit: I should add that I have a NAS (Network Attached Storage) device, aka "personal cloud", on my network. Everything I care about goes there, in a neatly organized folder structure. I can access it from any laptop or cell phone on my network, or (with some extra security) remotely. I actually have two; the second one just exists to back up the first one, and it's physically located in a different building that's unlikely to burn down if my house catches fire, and vice-versa. There are also services you can use to do automatic off-site backups.

Last edited:
I think Time Machine is excellent and easy to use. I have an external disk drive attached for the hourly backups. I recently screwed up a file and it was a piece of cake to recover an earlier version of that file from the backup.

When I retired in 2010 I switched from MS Office to Open Office on my Windows PC. When I converted to a Mac I downloaded Open Office for Macs and it works great. My wife and I recently upgraded to High Sierra and no problem with Open Office.

+1 for Time Machine and external drive. I bought a 2TB external drive at Office Depot (<$100). It is for Macs and is already formatted. Just leave it plugged in and the updates happen hourly. No fuss.

A few months back I saw a relevant article in TidBits (TidBITS — Apple news for the rest of us, an excellent and free newsletter/website about all things Apple. It warned about Office 2011 not being compatible with High Sierra. So I bought the one-time version of Office 2016. (I tried a couple of other options but some of my volunteer work involves complex formatted documents that just didn't translate properly). I haven't upgraded to High Sierra yet so at this point will probably wait until January.

+1000 on the need for backups. Preferably multiple.

Back
Top Bottom