Aloha from Hawaii!!

Coqui!

Lived in Kona for three years while working at that beautiful airport - all outdoors!

Went back in 2014 for a two week vacation and rented a beautiful vrbo house near Holualoa as we were celebrating our 20th wedding anniversary and my parent’s 60th.

While driving back to the house after going out to dinner on our first night there, noticed an ear piercing noise coming from a small stream in the area... yes it was the nuisance coqui frogs. Yikes!! They come out at dusk and are as loud as a jet engine.

Read up efforts to eradicate these devils but seems like they are there to stay, as they have no known predators on da big island. First thought was how this will really hurt real estate values and what it will do to the visitor industry. What a shame, as people go to Hawaii to relax, which is not possible with these frogs around.

Good decision to sell while you can, but I hear it’s now required to disclose the presence of coqui when you list property.

Good luck. I loved living in Kona (Palisades) and the Big Island in the late 1990’s and exploring all the uniqueness it has to offer.

Kona is wonderful if you can do without the big city. It is still very much a small town feel here, but we have a wonderful, uncrowded international airport! The medical choices are Kaiser, HMSA, Medicaid and ACA. My experience with Kaiser in Kona has been stellar. Good luck!

BTW, for all you scuba divers out there, I am an avid shore diver in Kona, and have dove nearly every accessible spot on this side of the island. If anyone needs suggestions on where to go, let me know.

Have friends/family still in Hawaii. What prompted you to move? I hear a lot of grumblings from those I know there, though not sure how many would actually move. Do you still have family/kids in Hawaii?

Yes we still have family & friends back in 808. Since both wife and I are from there...and lived on an island (Oahu) for over 60 years...we felt like it was time to change local. We never lived anywhere else so research was done and we picked NV for numerous reasons. But Oahu has really changed as has every other place for that matter. But with 1.2 million residents, 25 miles wide and 45 miles long, 7 major highways.....it’s just too crowded....not counting military population as well as visitors either. Over crowding, cost of living, traffic, road conditions, rail fiasco, being held hostage at the hint of a dock strike, the limitations that living on an island is reality and the usual complaints that we kama’ainas have, and countless other issues was enough to take a risk...pull the trigger...and experience a change. Insurance was the condo we kept there just in case it didn’t work out which now serves as our place when we come ‘home’ for a couple months a year. Hawaii will always be home...Las Vegas is where we reside.

Yes we still have family & friends back in 808. Since both wife and I are from there...and lived on an island (Oahu) for over 60 years...we felt like it was time to change local. We never lived anywhere else so research was done and we picked NV for numerous reasons. But Oahu has really changed as has every other place for that matter. But with 1.2 million residents, 25 miles wide and 45 miles long, 7 major highways.....it’s just too crowded....not counting military population as well as visitors either. Over crowding, cost of living, traffic, road conditions, rail fiasco, being held hostage at the hint of a dock strike, the limitations that living on an island is reality and the usual complaints that we kama’ainas have, and countless other issues was enough to take a risk...pull the trigger...and experience a change. Insurance was the condo we kept there just in case it didn’t work out which now serves as our place when we come ‘home’ for a couple months a year. Hawaii will always be home...Las Vegas is where we reside.

Did you ever spend any time on Molokai ? --- We spent 2 months there this past winter..... We'll go back for sure -- But for us, it definitely falls into the category of a nice place to visit, but I don't think I could live there.... But it sure beat Maui and Oahu for us !

Did you ever spend any time on Molokai ? --- We spent 2 months there this past winter..... We'll go back for sure -- But for us, it definitely falls into the category of a nice place to visit, but I don't think I could live there.... But it sure beat Maui and Oahu for us !

Just short trips...a couple of my friends are from Molokai but prefer living in Honolulu and a couple colleagues (PO’s) who worked there for a time with MPD but they basically all say the same thing...nice to go back for family visits and hunt...that’s about it. Very laid back, mellow, kind of like how old Hawaii use to be...lots of family generations still there and very rich in old time history.

While driving back to the house after going out to dinner on our first night there, noticed an ear piercing noise coming from a small stream in the area... yes it was the nuisance coqui frogs. Yikes!! They come out at dusk and are as loud as a jet engine.

I did some investigation into coqui frogs just out of curiosity. I was wondering why they haven't invaded South Florida. The answer seems to be that (so far) droughts and freezes have kept them at bay. I enjoy sitting on my porch just after sunset and listening to the frogs, and so far haven't heard a coqui - knock on wood. :) Call of the coqui.

But Oahu has really changed as has every other place for that matter. But with 1.2 million residents, 25 miles wide and 45 miles long, 7 major highways.....it’s just too crowded....not counting military population as well as visitors either.

I left Honolulu after graduating from college there in '72. Thought it was getting too crowded back then!

I live in Oregon. I’m from Arizona but have lived in Oregon for 40 years....all over the state. Lived in or near Eugene, Salem and Portland.
I recently moved to Central Oregon (Bend). I love Oregon.
Everyone who is not from here will tell you how rainy it is...huge misnomer!
Oregon is mostly a high desert. The rainy part is really the Northwestern part....the Willamette Valley, the populated area. From Eugene to Portland it’s wet from Halloween until the end of June. However summers are very Mediterranean, simply beautiful. Salem is prison town. Lots of impoverished areas with plenty of recently released inmates and/or inmates family members. There are nice areas....just sayin’. I lived near there for 20 years. I moved to Central Oregon to get out of the rain. You travel east of the Cascade Mountains and in 120 miles you go from 40 inches of rain a year to 10. Also, Central Oregon has all kinds of outdoor activities and much more conservative politics. Just depends on what you want.
We now live in Central area but keep a condo in Portland. It’s a fun, vibrant city 2.5 hours away.
Part of the draw to our location is family.
If you don’t have a draw like mine and you can be in a smaller market, I’d go South. Grants Pass, Medford etc. Beautiful landscapes, better weather, cheaper real estate.
You are welcome to PM me.

But with 1.2 million residents, 25 miles wide and 45 miles long, 7 major highways.....it’s just too crowded....not counting military population as well as visitors either. Over crowding, cost of living, traffic, road conditions, rail fiasco, being held hostage at the hint of a dock strike, the limitations that living on an island is reality and the usual complaints that we kama’ainas have, and countless other issues was enough to take a risk...pull the trigger...and experience a change.
You had 60 years, and I've only had 25...you're right, the traffic can be horrendous, and parts are very overpopulated. But, there are beautiful beaches, almost perfect weather, and if you're retired, you don't have to drive during rush hour. I live just over a mile from Ala Moana shopping center. We sometimes walk there, and I bike into downtown for work (for hopefully not too much longer). I do think that the reefs and reef life here has degraded significantly since 1994...but overall, it's a liveable island. Certainly, those buying $3.5M luxury condos seem to think so!

You had 60 years, and I've only had 25...you're right, the traffic can be horrendous, and parts are very overpopulated. But, there are beautiful beaches, almost perfect weather, and if you're retired, you don't have to drive during rush hour. I live just over a mile from Ala Moana shopping center. We sometimes walk there, and I bike into downtown for work (for hopefully not too much longer). I do think that the reefs and reef life here has degraded significantly since 1994...but overall, it's a liveable island. Certainly, those buying $3.5M luxury condos seem to think so!

Heehee....the rush hour traffic isn’t the problem when your retired cuz you know better than to schedule anything around that....it’s the daily stalled vehicles, crashes, road work and rubbernecking that happens in between the rush hour periods...when you have appointments scheduled that make it challenging. Sure that happens everywhere but it’s especially difficult when it’s on a small limited island.

Weather wise I don’t miss the humidity and constant rainfall (lived 36 years in Kahaluu) but you are correct about the scenery and ocean...you just can’t beat it...which is why we come back ‘home’ for a couple of months each year.

Having a place in Waikiki means you do not need a car....Everything you need is 10-15 minutes or less by walking. Car comes in handy for appointments and activities outside of town.

I wish I listened to people 10-15 years ago about Kakaako. I thought is was gonna be like Kapolei....taking years to build and to catch on as the second city.

Back
Top Bottom