Already a record hurricane year

FinallyRetired

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
We're barely into September and already we have two Cat 5 hurricanes, Dean and Felix. This is the only year in recorded hurricane history to have two Cat 5s make landfall at that intensity.

There were four Cat 5s in 2005, and you have to go back to 1961 before you get even two in one entire year. Katrina was 2005 but, remember, it was only Cat 5 for a little while and came down to 3 before it hit. With a good three months to go in the season, it's just a matter of time before a full Cat 5 makes landfall in the U.S. Last one was Andrew in 1992.

Felix went from tropical depression to Cat 5 in 51 hours; that's a record.

We're barely into September and already we have two Cat 5 hurricanes, Dean and Felix. This is the only year in recorded hurricane history to have two Cat 5s make landfall at that intensity.
Great, I've been having this debate all day with my spouse the meteorologist, I came to the board to get a break, and here it is again.

Let me just say that this is the only year in the time that humans have been recording hurricane history where we've DETECTED two Cat 5s making landfall at that intensity. This isn't a trend, this is an outlier.

In 1900, Galveston didn't even detect it:
Galveston Hurricane of 1900 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
NOAA's Galveston 1900 Hurricane
The 1900 Storm: Galveston, Texas

If you're not paranoid then you'll never see 'em coming at you. Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean that people aren't out to get you. But if you become more paranoid every year and get really really good at it, it doesn't mean that there are more people out to get you...

Back
Top Bottom