Alternatives to Quickbooks

Kings over Queens

Recycles dryer sheets
I've been using Quickbooks since 2000, in part because that's what I used when I owned a business, and just kept with it. I've got an old copy loaded on the home pc, and notice that they only allow for new online subscriptions, with the monthly fee.

Anyone using a different automated checking or accounting program they can recommend?

I switched a non profit from QuickBooks to Quicken when I took over from the prior Treasurer. Did many of the same things although I didn't like the subscription model for either. Personally I dropped Quicken when they went from a purchase once model to subscription.

I switched a non profit from QuickBooks to Quicken when I took over from the prior Treasurer. Did many of the same things although I didn't like the subscription model for either. Personally I dropped Quicken when they went from a purchase once model to subscription.
What do you use in place of quicken?

I've been using Quickbooks since 2000, in part because that's what I used when I owned a business, and just kept with it. I've got an old copy loaded on the home pc, and notice that they only allow for new online subscriptions, with the monthly fee.

Anyone using a different automated checking or accounting program they can recommend?

Quicken. Been using Quicken forever. I subscribe to get the updates but they're not needed for the core functions.

I use KMyMoney, it runs on my Linux box and also works with most other platforms. It is free been running it for years after I got away from Quicken.

I'm in the same boat as a Treasurer for a simple HOA. As such we don't have banking feeds, payroll, bill pay, inventory, etc...I just really need a automated check register with GL and chart of accounts to support financial statement preparation for our CPA to do our taxes.

We have been using QuickBooks since 2010 but upgraded to the 2017 desktop version back in 2017. I suppose I could roll the dice and stay with it but it would be nice to have a more supported package. I don't necessarily mind the cloud; we have nothing personal or sensitive to worry about. In fact a cloud solution would make it easier for me to transition the role to someone else should SHTF.

I briefly looked at QB Online and their most basic version doesn't support budgeting like our desktop version does now. I could always use a spreadsheet for that however. An important feature of any new solution would be the ability to easily migrate the roughly thirteen years of data currently housed in the desktop version.

Thanks for any suggestions.

I've been using Sage 50 Complete Accounting (formerly Peachtree Accounting) for my small business since 2002. While it has all the bells and whistles of QuickBooks it can be run as non-subscription software if desired, which is how I use it. There is a payroll module update they sell every year but I don't buy it. Instead I enter the payroll calculations manually and save them as a memorized transaction. I don't use any of the cloud features either.

In the 22 years I've been using it I've bought three versions of it, once because of a major upgrade in 2009 and again in 2018 so it would run on Windows 10.

It's a fairly sophisticated accounting program so it's probably overkill for people looking for an alternative to Quicken. But it's a definite candidate for Quickbooks small business users looking to get away from a subscription model.

Thanks I'll give it a look. I remember Peachtree from back in the day.

I just took a look at it and it is now subscription based. :mad:

Looks like I got in on the tail end of the no subscription format.

I just took a look at it and it is now subscription based. :mad:

Looks like I got in on the tail end of the no subscription format.

Thanks for the update - I'll still have a look as I (and our board) are not opposed to subscription based cloud solutions. I am also looking at manager.io, Gnucash, and Quicken.

Back
Top Bottom