Am I the only one more than a little curious about acquiring...

At approx 200k for the privilege, you are probably at least close to being the only one ?

$200k for the privilege of not needing a visa in some countries I may visit? Meh, I'll pass.

$200k for the privilege of not needing a visa in some countries I may visit? Meh, I'll pass.

I assume it does much more than that: it allows you to live in the UK, and depending on Brexit, perhaps the EU.

I assume it does much more than that: it allows you to live in the UK, and depending on Brexit, perhaps the EU.

It does not not let you live in the UK but does make it easier to visit.

https://www.gov.uk/right-of-abode/commonwealth-citizens

2. Commonwealth citizens

You may have right of abode in the UK either because of your parents or because you are or were married to someone with right of abode.

Parents
You have right of abode if all the following apply:

one of your parents was born in the UK and a citizen of the United Kingdom and colonies when you were born or adopted
you were a Commonwealth citizen on 31 December 1982
you didn’t stop being a Commonwealth citizen (even temporarily) at any point after 31 December 1982

At the moment, I cannot think of anything that I would less rather purchase than a Vanuatu passport. :cool:

There are a lot of islands where you can buy a passport... there was a 60 minutes piece talking about it...

Could it get you into Canada if you were a US citizen with a DUI in your past? Seems like I saw something when we visited about Canada about them not wanting any sketchy south-of-the-border US types (to include DUI holders) in their pretty country. Not sure Canada is $200k-for-a-visit pretty, but...

No DUI here, so I'm keeping my $200k

If bitcoin drops back to fair value, which is something like 10,000 per pizza, I might consider it.

Could it get you into Canada if you were a US citizen with a DUI in your past? Seems like I saw something when we visited about Canada about them not wanting any sketchy south-of-the-border US types (to include DUI holders) in their pretty country. Not sure Canada is $200k-for-a-visit pretty, but...

No DUI here, so I'm keeping my $200k

Heh, heh, I probably could have used an "other than US Passport" recently.

Did a quick trip to the Windsor and Toronto area this summer. It didn't seem they wanted to let me in. My worst "offense" was speeding (back in the 80's) but they kept asking me if I'd ever been arrested. They kept wanting to know if I had any guns. Okay, "if not in your car, how about at home?" "Do you have a concealed carry permit - anyplace?" "Got any drugs?" "Are you sure you've never been arrested?" "Why are you here?" "Where are you going?" "Are you sure you've never been arrested?"

I guess I know when I'm not wanted. I've probably made my last trip to CAN. Nice place to visit, but I wouldn't want to enter it again. I'll keep my over-valued US$ to myself from now on. YMMV

I guess I know when I'm not wanted. I've probably made my last trip to CAN. Nice place to visit, but I wouldn't want to enter it again. I'll keep my over-valued US$ to myself from now on. YMMV

Wow, that's the total opposite of our experience on the east coast. CA customs has been great. Courteous and very relaxed compared to getting back in to the US.

We even had a SNAFU last time. The border crossing in Quebec didn't assign our boat a number like they were supposed to. Many times we were (very politely) questioned about why we didn't have the required number. Luckily, in NB and NS, once we told them it was the Quebecois who screwed up, they commiserated with us for a while before letting it go. Gotta love those inter-province rivalries!

Admittedly, we didn't bring any handguns, and have no OUI convictions. I hear that really changes things.

Back
Top Bottom