Amazon.com store credit card (5% rewards)

Many thanks for your wisdom and experience, audrey. Always feels better when the answer is battle-tested as yours is.

Don't know if it's by design or accident but on the amazon site, if I attempt a trial purpose, the label for default payment method is amazon.com store card (the lesser card) but the 5% rewards is clearly checked......so the name is confusing/misleading but it is comforting that the 5% rewards seems to be the default (not the free financing for extended periods). Now to make a real purchase to see what the rewards are.

Last edited:
Many thanks for your wisdom and experience, audrey. Always feels better when the answer is battle-tested as yours is.

Don't know if it's by design or accident but on the amazon site, if I attempt a trial purpose, the label for default payment method is amazon.com store card (the lesser card) but the 5% rewards is clearly checked......so the name is confusing/misleading but it is comforting that the 5% rewards seems to be the default (not the free financing for extended periods). Now to make a real purchase to see what the rewards are.

I think that if a purchase is high enough, you are offered an option for the financing. Otherwise it's the 5% rewards. For me, the 5% rewards seems to be default. They may offer me the financing option, but I ignore it.

I think that if a purchase is high enough, you are offered an option for the financing. Otherwise it's the 5% rewards. For me, the 5% rewards seems to be default. They may offer me the financing option, but I ignore it.

yes, you are correct. Thanks for reminding my failing memory....
it's $149 for 6 mo. financing; $599 for 12 mo. So will have to remind DW to be on guard for eternity..........do you know if you make a purchase over those thresholds, is 5% rewards still the default or do they make you choose?

Okay, I have to admit that I rarely shop on Amazon (just an occasional book). What is everyone buying that would justify paying to be a Prime member?

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Okay, I have to admit that I rarely shop on Amazon (just an occasional book). What is everyone buying that would justify paying to be a Prime member?

Amazon is my go-to on-line store, but I will check other reputable places on most orders - Amazon is usually (but not always) as good/better in price. The "price Jump" extension helps with that.

However, I am not a Prime member. I rarely need anything quicker than their 'free' shipping, and the few times I might it would likely be cheaper to just pay the shipping.

Some people see value in the video/music streaming service, so that's another calculation.

What do I buy? A very diverse list - hard drives, SD cards, Blood Pressure Monitor, computer mouse, cell phones (+ cases, batteries), kitchen items, tools/supplies, misc gifts, a few 'toys' for myself...

.... what the heck - no secrets here (from the download function I learned about here on the forum)... total was ~ $1,500

BESTOPE Digital led USB Amperemeter Voltmeter,Voltage Current Multimeter,Mobile Power Charger Detector Tester DC 5V/2.1A Digital Ammeter Voltmeter Red
American Weigh Scales AWS-1KG-BLK Signature Series Black Digital Pocket Scale, 1000 by 0.1 G
Nursing Delegation and Management of Patient Care, 1e
Intermatic EJ600 120 Volt Indoor Digital Astro In-Wall Timer, White
7/16" Hunter Green Plastic Binding Combs - 100pk
AmazonBasics Apple Certified Lightning to USB Cable - 6 Feet (1.8 Meters) - Black
Toshiba Canvio 750 GB USB 3.0 Basics Portable Hard Drive - HDTB107XK3AA(Black)
DVI Gear HDMI Cable 2M 6 feet
Max Professional 4125 Electronics Lubricant, 11 oz. - 11 oz.
STABILicers Stabilicers Lite Ice Cleats,Orange,M (7.5-10 Mens / 8.5-12 Womens)
Etekcity Lasergrip 1080 (ETC 8550) Temperature Gun Non-contact Digital Laser Infrared IR Thermometer, -58~+1022┬░F, 12:1 D:S, Instant-read, FDA/FCC/CE/
Inkbird All-Purpose Digital Temperature Controller Fahrenheit &Centigrade Thermostat w Sensor 2 Relays
Rubbermaid Easy Find Lid Food Storage Set, 20-Piece
Kingston Digital 16 GB microSDHC Class 10 UHS-1 Memory Card 30MB/s with Adapter (SDC10/16GBET)
Plugable® USB Bluetooth 4.0 Low Energy Micro Adapter (Windows 8.1, 8, 7, XP, Linux Compatible; Classic Bluetooth and Stereo Headset Compatible)
Aerb Mini Wireless Bluetooth Keyboard W Mouse Function for Android Smart TV Google HTPC (IBK-18 Black)
Quartz Clock Movement Mechanism DIY Repair Parts Kit
Monoprice Micro USB OTG Adapter (109724)
Plugable® USB Bluetooth 4.0 Low Energy Micro Adapter (Windows 8.1, 8, 7, XP, Linux Compatible; Classic Bluetooth and Stereo Headset Compatible)
Kingston Digital 16 GB microSDHC Class 10 UHS-1 Memory Card 30MB/s with Adapter (SDC10/16GBET)
Aerb Mini Wireless Bluetooth Keyboard W Mouse Function for Android Smart TV Google HTPC (IBK-18 Black)
Omron 5 Series Upper Arm Blood Pressure Monitor with Wide-Range Cuff (BP742N)
CMS 500DL Generation 2 Fingertip Pulse Oximeter Oximetry Blood Oxygen Saturation Monitor with silicon cover, batteries and lanyard (Sapphire Blue)
20 Neodymium Magnets 1/4 x 1/4 inch Cylinder N48
BalanceFrom High Accuracy Digital Bathroom Scale with 4.3" Large Backlight Display and Step-on Technology, Silver
20 Neodymium Magnets 1/4 x 1/4 inch Cylinder N48
Alpha Metals #am31605 4oz.032elec Lead Solder
EURO TOOL (BRS-294.01) 24 Pack of Fiberglass Scratch Brush Refills
Ettore 49036 Grip 'n Grab
SE 7616SB Fiberglass Scratch Brush, Pen Type
Energizer 379 Button Cell Silver Oxide Sr521sw Watch Battery (1 Pack of 5 Batteries)
Magcraft NSN0657 80 Count Rare Earth Disc Magnets, 1/4-Inch by 1/16-Inch, Silver
Mediabridge Dual USB 3.4A (17W) Car Charger for Apple Devices, Samsung Galaxy S5, Samsung Galaxy Note 4/3/II, HTC
BESTOPE Digital led USB Amperemeter Voltmeter,Voltage Current Multimeter,Mobile Power Charger Detector Tester DC 5V/2.1A Digital Ammeter Voltmeter Red
The fabulous future: America in 1980, (Essay index reprint series)
OBi100 VoIP Telephone Adapter and Voice Service Bridge
Cheerson CX-10 Part White Blade Guard Cover Protector with 16PCS Propeller Blade Blue Green Red Purple
Alpine Swiss Men's Multi-Card Compact Center Flip Bifold Wallet Black
226 Silicone O-Ring, 70A Durometer, Red, 2" ID, 2-1/4" OD, 1/8" Width (Pack of 5)
Cheerson CX-10 Mini 29mm 4CH 2.4GHz 6-Axis Gyro LED RC Quadcopter Bright Orange
Emerson Microwave Glass Turntable Plate / Tray 12 3/8 in P34
AmazonBasics Dual Port USB Wall Charger - 2.1 Amp
AmazonBasics Apple Certified Lightning to USB Cable - 6 Feet (1.8 Meters) - Black
General Tools & Instruments 88CM Tungsten Carbide Scribe and Magnet
AmazonBasics 3-Button USB Wired Mouse (Black)
Generic Compatible Replacement AC DC Adapter For OMRON 60120HW5SW HEM ADPTW5 HEM 775 HEM 7052 Power Cord
Teenitor Cheerson CX-10 Part White Blade Guard Cover Protector with 16PCS Propeller Blade Blue Green Red Purple
AmazonBasics 3-Button USB Wired Mouse (Black)
Hosa MHE100.5 Right Angle 1/4" to 3.5mm Headphone Adapter/Extension (6 inches)
Weber 6492 Original Instant-Read Thermometer
VicTsing USB IN-OUT MIDI Cable Converter PC to Music Keyboard Adapter Cord
Ear Zonk - Replacement Grado Headphone S Cushion - Fits Grado 60i, 60e, 80i, 80e, 125i & 125e - Pair in Black
Adlens Interface Black Unisex Variable Focus Eyewear
SE LF06R Professional Quality Mini Round Jaw Diagonal Cutter Pliers
Kaboom with OxiClean Scrub Free! System-1 ct
Compare-N-Save Concentrate Grass and Weed Killer, 41-Percent Glyphosate, 1-Gallon
Toshiba Canvio Basics 2TB Portable Hard Drive- Silver (HDTB320XS3CA)
SABRENT 2.5-Inch SATA Aluminum Hard Drive to USB 2.0 Enclosure (EC-US25)
1 X Ceramic Cat Measuring Cups/ Baking Bowls
Hakko CHP-170 Micro Soft Wire Cutter, 1.5mm Stand-off, Flush Cut, 2.5mm Hardened Carbon Steel Construction, 21-Degree Angled Jaw, 8mm Jaw Length, 16 G
Smash Terminator Crystal Clear Hard Case with Free Screen Protector for Smart Phone Android by AllThingsAccessory® ( Motorola Moto G )
Spa-Kem 267 Spa Brominating Tablets Pool and Spa Chemicals, 1-1/2 Pounds
Church And Dwight 35113 "kaboom" Scrub Free Toilet Cleaning System (Pack of 2)
Cook N Home 02401 Stainless Steel 4-Piece Pasta Cooker Steamer Multipots with Encapsulated Bottom, 8-Quart
Snap-E Mouse Trap-6 Pack
Mr. Clean Magic Eraser, Original, 4 Count
4 Acuvar High Capacity AA Rechargeable Batteries 3100mAh NiMH
Fitbit Charge Wireless Activity Wristband, Slate, Small
Smash Terminator Crystal Clear Hard Case with Free Screen Protector for Smart Phone Android by AllThingsAccessory® ( Motorola Moto G )
Samsung Original OEM EB484659VA/VU 1500mAh Spare Replacement Li-ion Battery for Samsung Gravity Smart and Gravity Touch 2 - Non-Retail Packaging - Sil
Motorola Moto G (3rd Generation) - Black - 16 GB - Global GSM Unlocked Phone
uxcell 5 Pcs 2 x 1.5V AA Battery Holder Case Storage Box Black w Wire Leads
beesclover 0-100V/A Digital DC VA Amp Volt Ammeter Voltmeter Ampere 2in1 Blue Red 2-cloer LED Voltage Current Measure BY BeesClover
Kingston 16 GB Class 4 MicroSDHC Flash Card with SD Adapter SDC4/16GB
DEWALT DWASPTRI Hook and Loop Triangle Sandpaper Assorted, 12-Pack
Tech Armor Apple iPhone 5/5c/5s Anti-Glare/Anti-Fingerprint (Matte) Screen Protectors [3-Pack] Lifetime Warranty
Motorola Moto G (3rd Generation) Case Cimo [Matte] Premium Slim Fit Flexible TPU Case for Motorola Moto G G3 (3rd Gen, 2015) - Blue
Mr Shield For Motorola Moto G 3rd Generation Anti Glare [Matte] Screen Protector [3-PACK] with Lifetime Replacement Warranty

-ERD50

I buy much more from Amazon monthly than all other stores together, except local food stores. Many of the people I know are the same. Much of this is just replacements for toothpaste, floss, etc. Gifts too. It takes a while for middle aged females to accept that instead of buying a gift, taking it home, buying paper and ribbon, wrapping it and then walking to UPS to ship it to them they are going to get something from me courtesy of the poor but good enough wrapping by Amazon. Once I did buy gift wrapping by a downtown shop where Asian women made gift wrapping into an art form, and I admit that it was beautiful.

Prime is a big benefit for me. Also, I use the free prime movie streaming, particularly for entertainment while I row my machine.

Both my sons have been prime customers since they moved out of the family home. The US consumer is going to be so screwed if Amazon ever decides that it has cut out enough other sources for needed things to jack their prices. I might cause a depression!

Ha

A lot of grocery/drug store things are cheaper, and the subscribe and save also.

Things I get regularly include:
Shampoo/conditioner, other girly stuff
Pet food, litter

And then pretty much almost anything i buy, i price check on amazon first and they are often (not always) cheaper. The convenience of "oh i ran out of so and so" and it will just show up on my doorstep in 2 days vs. having to go to say Target for an unplanned trip is well worth it for me.

I also have a small home business so I buy a lot of shipping supplies there, and so Prime is a business expense!

I buy a lot of books on Kindle, but we do buy a lot of things other than books. I find that if I check prices we often get the best prices on Amazon.

Things over the last couple of months:

1. We bought a 4k TV.
2. I buy Antep pistachios - by far the best price is on Amazon
3. Quest bars - much cheaper buying from Amazon than at the grocery store
4. Dog food - we just started buying it at Amazon. I was actually stricken when I saw how much cheaper it was than what we had been paying (so much money wasted!).

yes, you are correct. Thanks for reminding my failing memory....
it's $149 for 6 mo. financing; $599 for 12 mo. So will have to remind DW to be on guard for eternity..........do you know if you make a purchase over those thresholds, is 5% rewards still the default or do they make you choose?

I haven't had to choose and I'm not paying off any loan.

Last edited:

One of the longer threads in "other topics" has various member purchases.

http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f27/what-is-the-last-thing-you-ordered-from-amazon-72064.html

For example, I recently reported ordering:
Chain saw replacement chain
stump killer
underwear.

It's truly amazing what you can buy on amazon... (FWIW - DH checked Home Depot for the chain and stump killer and they didn't have what he wanted.)

Anyone know how to delete credit cards on the Amazon site? I finally figured out how to add my Amazon Prime Store Card (the no expiration date was puzzling to me) to DW's account and would like to remove her lesser Amazon.com Store Card so we don't use it by mistake for no rewards.

There is an obvious button to add cards but I don't see one to delete.

Anyone know how to delete credit cards on the Amazon site? I finally figured out how to add my Amazon Prime Store Card (the no expiration date was puzzling to me) to DW's account and would like to remove her lesser Amazon.com Store Card so we don't use it by mistake for no rewards.

There is an obvious button to add cards but I don't see one to delete.

Go to your Amazon Account

Click on Manage Payment Options under Payments Methods in the Amazon Wallet section.

It will list your cards, and next to each card, on the right, is a down arrow. Click on that and you'll see options to Edit or Delete card information.

Go to your Amazon Account

Click on Manage Payment Options under Payments Methods in the Amazon Wallet section.

It will list your cards, and next to each card, on the right, is a down arrow. Click on that and you'll see options to Edit or Delete card information.

Wow! A veritable fountain of knowledge.........Thanks, audrey.
Will try after dinner.

I don't buy that much, but I did sign up for prime when they had the $63 deal. I don't care about the shipping as I used to just leave stuff in my cart until I had enough for free shipping and would then order. I do like it for:
- video streaming
- 1 free kindle book every month (don't need to own a kindle for this)
- 1 borrow from the kindle owners lending library every month (do need a kindle for this)

I joined mostly for the streaming video, although once in a while an order is under the $35 level and I get free shipping on that.

They have oodles of stuff that isn't available locally like a lot more options for gluten free foods, and I'm about to order a 5 cubic foot freezer that DW wants. If available at all local stores are more expensive for that item.

It's not just the free shipping that justifies the Prime membership (but that's a good one). They also have Amazon Prime Videos and Amazon Prime Music. It also includes Amazon Prime Photos and Kindle Owners Lending Library. There's a lot that you get for the $99/year. Here's a link to all the benefits.

Wow...I guess I'll check Amazon before my next purchase. Currently in a purging stage (clearing out a house we've lived in for 30 years), so no shopping for a bit.

We use the Amazon store card no problems. 5% statement credit each month and paid automatically. No annual fees or purchase tiers. I do not really care about customer service since I never call them.

Is the paid directly out of a bank account? I don't want to have to mail in checks each month.

Yes, once a month it is paid automatically from my checking account.

Is the paid directly out of a bank account? I don't want to have to mail in checks each month.
I set it up to draw on due date (the only option is the date due) to draw from a checking account. That's worked perfectly so far.

Good to know. Think I'll check it out. Thanks.

I set it up to draw on due date (the only option is the date due) to draw from a checking account. That's worked perfectly so far.

audrey, how did you set up autopay? Did you have to do it online or are there other ways.......some places allow you to send in bank info on paper or give it over phone.

audrey, how did you set up autopay? Did you have to do it online or are there other ways.......some places allow you to send in bank info on paper or give it over phone.

I did it online at the synchrony/amazon store card site. It's encrypted, just like transactions with any financial institution, so I don't worry about entering that info online.

audrey......thanks for the info. Much appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom