An update on TheFed's popular "Should I Get Married" thread

Sorry for your pain, Fed, and I can certainly see how the institution of marriage would seem like a joke to you right now. I hope things get better.

Amethyst

No, I didn't mean MY marriage. I meant marriage as an institution...as a legal definition which prohibits me from expeditiously protecting my children from emotional harm and distress...a title that is too easy to attain, and too difficult to eliminate. We all make mistakes...marrying her was one of them. Thank goodness the true colors are showing now though - 27 years down the road I can't imagine how things would be!

That said, the concept of marriage is now more easily understood and accepted by TheFed....I had to do it for all the wrong reasons to understand the only reason one should do it!

No, I didn't mean MY marriage. I meant marriage as an institution...as a legal definition which prohibits me from expeditiously protecting my children from emotional harm and distress...a title that is too easy to attain, and too difficult to eliminate. We all make mistakes...marrying her was one of them. Thank goodness the true colors are showing now though - 27 years down the road I can't imagine how things would be!

That said, the concept of marriage is now more easily understood and accepted by TheFed....I had to do it for all the wrong reasons to understand the only reason one should do it!

I can see your viewpoint in terms of the legal definition and the difficulties that can come from untangling a bad relationship, especially when children are being harmed. That said, I believe there are quite a few happily married couples on here who don't necessarily look at their marriages purely from a legal definition standpoint, and when you seemed to sterotype all marraiges based on your own one that encountered problems, that can rub folks the wrong way. Almost akin to insulting ones religion. In any event, I can see your situation has caused you trememdous personal angst, and I truly hope it gets better for you and the kids.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom