Announcement

pb4uski

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Big change soon!

+1 I'm rooting for Texas because we have family in Austin and will likely be relocating there and I'm rooting for Alabama because I'm not a Harbaugh fan (not a Saban fan either but lesser of two evils).

That said, Michigan looks really strong to me as does Texas. Haven't seen much of Washington.

Was anyone else other than me surprised that Georgia, two time defending chanpion and #1 ranked the whole season went from 1 to 5 because of one loss?

+1 I'm rooting for Texas because we have family in Austin and will likely be relocating there and I'm rooting for Alabama because I'm not a Harbaugh fan (not a Saban fan either but lesser of two evils).

That said, Michigan looks really strong to me as does Texas. Haven't seen much of Washington.

Was anyone else other than me surprised that Georgia, two time defending chanpion and #1 ranked the whole season went from 1 to 5 because of one loss?
I caught that (bolded).....are you really moving to Texas? :confused:

Yes, have you totally lost your mind? :cool:

Is there room here for more immigrants from Florida?

Yes, perhaps and yes. It's the grandchildren, not the weather in Dec-Feb!

Cool! Be glad to have you and the misses set up camp here with us Texans (31 years here now so I am one). :cool:

In the NCAA college football playoffs thread I mentioned that we were thinking of moving to Texas and aja8888 jumped right on it.

Unless the home inspection tomorrow is a big fail we will be moving to Sun City Texas later this year.

Quite happy to be nearer to DGS, DD, DSIL, DS and 4 DSisters. Also, DGD is a bun in the oven.

Today, DW, DSIL, DSister and I played 9 while DD cared for DGS at our rental and then DSIL took over caring for DGS who was napping and the rest of us went out to meet some friends. One of many such days I hope.

So starting later this year we'll be snowbirding between Vermont and Texas rather than Vermont and Florida.

But I'm drawing the line at cowboy boots and a cowboy hat... sorry! Florida has spoiled me such that I wear shorts 95% of the time and I don't think that shorts and cowboy boots would be a good look for an old guy but OTOH, the gal below pulls it off nicely.

Might she be Texan? If so, I'm all in. :cool:

8a9bf3aa79c140da0dbb2ff7e01c60bb.jpg

Last edited:
But I'm drawing the line at cowboy boots and a cowboy hat... sorry! Florida has spoiled me such that I wear shorts 95% of the time and I don't think that shorts and cowboy boots would be a good look for an old guy but OTOH, the gal below pulls it off nicely.

Would you wear cowboy boots and a Stetson for her? (No answer expected!)

Give the boots and hat a try. I've still got my Arizona boots in Hawaii but only wear rarely. But I'm buying a cowboy hat for shade when I mow the lawn!

Congratulations on the move and your new grandchild. Nothing like being around family.

Congrats pb4uski! You will be missed at the SWFL meetups.

Bought just in time for the eclipse (and probably not much more expensive than hotels in Austin that day!). Looks like my hotel is about 10 miles south of Sun City.

Pb4, welcome to TX!

Sun City is an interesting place, believed to be one of the largest populations of California expats east of the Rockies. My BIL lives nearby and based on what he has told me, SC sounds a nice place to live with a very active social life.

Last edited:
Congrats. I remember way back when when Sun City Texas was way out in the middle of nowhere. No longer!

I’m glad you have a place for the summer though because the central TX summers are brutal.

Last edited:
Good luck with the move, exciting times. Our daughter lived in Austin then just south of Round Rock over a period of 12 years. Lovely area to be living in. We lived for 14 years in Texas, Houston area, and once we’d retired we’d leave for several months each summer to escape the heat, but you have that covered already.

Congratulations, pb4uski. Texas will be all the better after your move and the state of Florida wishes you a find fare-thee-well

A few links you may find helpful:

How to talk Texan (here) and here

How to dress Texan here

Here’s a book you may find very useful, “How to be a Texan, The Manual here and here’s a review of that book here

Here’s a band and a song you need to know. Very important cultural reference

Last edited:
Welcome to heaven, well sometimes.

Oh, I really like the boots and hat of your idea of a Texas gal... The rest of her picture ain't bad either. :)

Congrats. I’m the only one in my family that didn’t retire to Texas. But I’ve lived there twice and I loved it there, I suspect you will too.

We also lived in Florida for 3 years, and you couldn’t pay me to go back there…

Congratulations on your newest family member!!! :dance:

In the NCAA college football playoffs thread I mentioned that we were thinking of moving to Texas and aja8888 jumped right on it.

Unless the home inspection tomorrow is a big fail we will be moving to Sun City Texas later this year.

Quite happy to be nearer to DGS, DD, DSIL, DS and 4 DSisters. Also, DGD is a bun in the oven.

Today, DW, DSIL, DSister and I played 9 while DD cared for DGS at our rental and then DSIL took over caring for DGS who was napping and the rest of us went out to meet some friends. One of many such days I hope.

So starting later this year we'll be snowbirding between Vermont and Texas rather than Vermont and Florida.

In a past life I used to travel several times a year to Houston. I hated the humidity, heat, traffic and general chaos of the place. But, I must admit the women dressed and looked fantastic. Good luck with your move. A Win/Win for the family.

Last edited:
Congratulations, pb4uski. Texas will be all the better after your move and the state of Florida wishes you a find fare-thee-well...

Here’s a band and a song you need to know. Very important cultural reference

Thanks. My 3 sisters have lived here for over 25 years and are all avid UT fans and they have sort of dragged me to being a UT fan too. When visiting during the Christmas holidays we attended a UT men's basketball game. So I'm very familiar with the song.

One of my bucket list items has been to attend a big-time D1 college football game so I think I'll get my chance to do so at one of the home games. We even gave some thought to stopping in New Orleans for the Sugar Bowl (UT v Washington national semi-finals) on our way here but the ticket prices were astronomical so we passed. Even my wealthy sister and BIL who are rabid UT fans thought the price was too much.

See, here's the thing -

She would look GREAT in an Idaho potato sack.

Congrats Pb4uski!

I predict it won't be long till your new surroundings will have you speaking properly!

I was in Sun City last November to visit my brother. He has been there about 7 years and seems to enjoy it. Good golf and golf cart friendly too!!

Best to you on the move,

VW

Best wishes on move to Texas but so just can’t root for the Cowgirls. ��

Interesting point. The Patriots have been my AFC team my whole life since I grew up and lived in NE until very recently. When we started snowbirding to Sarasota I adopted the Buccaneers as my AFC team and it was pure luck that Tom Brady ended up with the Bucs and immediately won the Super Bowl.

I suppose that the Cowgirls should become my NFC team once we've moved to Texas but that is too unpalatable... however I will keep the door open for one of the Dallas Cowboys cheerleaders to try to convince me otherwise.

Welcome to heaven, well sometimes.

Oh, I really like the boots and hat of your idea of a Texas gal... The rest of her picture ain't bad either. :)

There were a lot of very acceptable choices available.

Last edited:
In a past life I used to travel several times a year to Houston. I hated the humidity, heat, traffic and general chaos of the place. But, I must admit the women dressed and looked fantastic. Good luck with your move. A Win/Win for the family.

+1 I traveled to Houston for work and we've visited my sister in Conroe. Way too humid for me... I sweat like a pig in that humidity.

Congratulations! I think you made a brilliant decision. Texas’ state song captures my feeling perfectly.

Texas, our Texas! All hail the mighty State!
Texas, our Texas! So wonderful so great!
Boldest and grandest, Withstanding ev'ry test;
O Empire wide and glorious, You stand supremely blest.

Back
Top Bottom