Another Market Down Day .. Are you buying or selling ?

cyber888

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
It's been 2 weeks and the market doldrum continues. Tech's been massacred today with the Nasdaq down 300+ points. Are you buying or selling ?

It's been 2 weeks and the market doldrum continues. Tech's been massacred today with the Nasdaq down 300+ points. Are you buying or selling ?

If one of my holdings distributes a dividend for reinvestment, then I guess I am buying. Otherwise, I am sitting on my hands.

Rebalanced a little from domestic to international today. More of a year-end move since domestic was down more than intl today.

Last edited:
Waiting for more blood in the street, then will buy.

Even when some of the blood flowing is your own. :dead:

Buy, buy, buy... :dance:

The more you buy, the more you, er, lose. >:D

Last edited:
Depends on the day. Yesterday, I was buying the dip and selling the rally. Today, I bought the close. Tomorrow, will sell the rally or sit on my hands until a tradable rally comes along.

Only selling for the remainder of my life (but none needed at the moment luckily).

Spent first 50 years only buying, next 50 years (hopefully) only selling.

Last edited:
I'm sitting tight until I do my annual rebalance in January. Same strategy if this was another market up day :).

I'm holding. Somewhere I read, whenever you are not selling you are buying. I think it was Sam Zell who said that. But I'm just standing pat. We shall see what happens. Nasdaq is in correction territory and the SP500 is close to it . This is where the AA comes into play.

Looking for tax minimizing opportunities.

Yes. Instead of selling high and having to pay taxes, let's all sell low at a loss and get tax deduction on earned income. :cool:

Oh wait, I do not have earned income any more. :facepalm:

Just joking. Maybe a good time to do Roth conversion.

I'm holding. Somewhere I read, whenever you are not selling you are buying. I think it was Sam Zell who said that. But I'm just standing pat. We shall see what happens. Nasdaq is in correction territory and the SP500 is close to it . This is where the AA comes into play.
I think I read the same thing from the late G.M. Loeb (founder of E.F. Hutton).

Back in his days, there was no such thing as S&P index fund. You bought individual stocks, and it was true then as it is now; some prospered and some went bankrupt over time.

You have to make a conscientious effort to determine if you want to hold something or not. In effect, if you would not buy something that day, then you would not hold it either.

Seems like a good time for the annual 529 plan gifts.

I'm sitting tight until I do my annual rebalance in January. Same strategy if this was another market up day :).

+1 even though portfolio now lower than day of retirement. (08/2017)

Yes. Instead of selling high and having to pay taxes, let's all sell low at a loss and get tax deduction on earned income. :cool:
I have some funds I want to switch out for more tax efficient ones in the same asset class. It’s AA neutral, but suddenly the tax liability has reduced considerably.

Last edited:
Only selling for the remainder of my life (but none needed at the moment luckily).

Spent first 50 years only buying, next 50 years (hopefully) only selling.

+1.

Doing nothing. Have two years cash and CD's. In 1 year, IRA withdrawals become 100% discretionary.

Thought about buying earlier today and then went to a movie and it went down further.

VTI is only ~10% off from it 52 week high so it may have a way to go. I just don't see much in fundamentals to cause the drop so its just the market doing its thing I guess.

Tomorrow I may do the sell stocks to raise next year's cash that I normally do in December.... it will result in lower taxable gains and I'll be able to do more of a Roth conversion. If I do that then I'll cover it by buying stocks in my tax-deferred account and possibly rebalance stocks back to my target AA but I'm only 1.5% below target at this point

As some of you may know from another thread, I am thinking of increasing my allocation to stocks in my target AA and if we get another 5% to be down 15% from the 52-week high it may be a good time to make a first step at increasing my stock allocation... buy when they are on sale!

I set-up a bank to ACH 2019 cash lump sum. It will come out of stable value fund, which has exceeded it's asset allocation lately. No plans to buy any equities any time soon.

Doing nothing. I suspect my FA is doing the same.

Neither. I rebalanced about a month or so ago so don't think I need to do that right now. If I need to make any IRA withdrawals for the rest of the year from the IRA I will do it in a way that has a rebalancing effect.

Neither. I'm retired and just staying the course.

My wife is technically buying I guess, since she still works and still contributes to her 401k.

Not buying or selling in my accounts. I'm keeping the same number of shares and fortunate to be able to live off the divies with a healthy dose of income from a CD ladder.
DW and I haven't touched her IRA which is a 3 Fund 80/20 AA. It is just hitting a rebalance point. Sticking to the plan and we'll see what works better.

Buying as it drops.

Back
Top Bottom