Another Passport/Global Entry post

Update: I tried to update my passport number after renewal in the Global Entry program a little more than a month ago, without success. Tried again today, and it apparently went through. Hooray! Will check it again in a couple of days.

Update: I tried to update my passport number after renewal in the Global Entry program a little more than a month ago, without success. Tried again today, and it apparently went through. Hooray! Will check it again in a couple of days.
Thank you for the heads up. I had the same problem and will try again now!

Global entry expiration

My wife's GOES expired last month. Can it still be renewed? She has an account attached to her email but has forgotten the password. Should she try and renew or just set up a new account? Is a phone call an option?

Any suggestions ?

My wife's GOES expired last month. Can it still be renewed? She has an account attached to her email but has forgotten the password. Should she try and renew or just set up a new account? Is a phone call an option?

Any suggestions ?

Go ahead and try to renew online despite the expiration. Due to Covid they have extended the validity of the membership past the original expiration date. Your DW can continue to use the expired card in the meantime.

I renewed before expiration and had to go in for a an interview regardless.

Last edited:

Any suggestions ?

I renewed DW account online last month and her card expired in May, 2021. She actually got her replacement card in the mail before I could get my Zoom interviewed scheduled. (No interview done for her).
Just log into the online account for her card and follow the renewal process.

I thought everyone had to do an interview. We have done quite a bit of international travel over the last 4 or 5 years so that must have triggered something.

There was a one year wait for a Global Entry Pass interview at Portland's airport but we planned to go camping in Blaine, WA this summer and they had a place we could interview. We had our pick of days and times and no one else was in there for the interview while we were there. Blaine is less than 10 miles from the Canadian border.

The interview was really basic.

In my interview the agent asked only one question, “What’s changed”. I asked for clarification and a little more detail, and he repeated the same words. I figured the proper response was “nothing”, he nodded his head and the interview was over.

I thought everyone had to do an interview. We have done quite a bit of international travel over the last 4 or 5 years so that must have triggered something.

There was a one year wait for a Global Entry Pass interview at Portland's airport but we planned to go camping in Blaine, WA this summer and they had a place we could interview. We had our pick of days and times and no one else was in there for the interview while we were there. Blaine is less than 10 miles from the Canadian border.

Everyone has to interview for the initial sign-up. For renewals, some people do and some don't. Several of the couples in this thread had only one person interviewed, even though they travel together, so it doesn't seem to be based on how much you use your GE membership. My renewal interview was also very basic.

Everyone has to interview for the initial sign-up. For renewals, some people do and some don't. Several of the couples in this thread had only one person interviewed, even though they travel together, so it doesn't seem to be based on how much you use your GE membership. My renewal interview was also very basic.

DW and I both renewed our GE cards this fall. I applied first (Sept 17) and was finally approved yesterday (11/12) without an interview. Not bad only two months and got a 5 year extension from my upcoming birthday ( so no penalty applying before current card expiration). Not bad at all.

DW applied later (later birthday) on October 30 and was approved the next day also without an interview! Amazing service.

There was a one year wait for a Global Entry Pass interview at Portland's airport but we planned to go camping in Blaine, WA this summer and they had a place we could interview.

I live in Portland and when I tried to apply for GE in 2018 there were NO appointments within the next 12 months except a few places like El Paso and Blaine. I considered driving to Blaine and combining with a visit to Vancouver BC for fun, but decided the travel costs and time just weren't worth it. Maybe someday I'll finally be able to get GE. Very frustrating.

We did our Global Entry interview when we re-entered the US at our local intl airport. They now have a bunch of airports listed that have the interview on re-entry program. Saved us a trip to San Francisco for an actual appointment.

CBP agents were bored between incoming intl flights anyway and took about 15 minutes.

Got our cards in the mail about a week later.

My Global Entry was about to expire this month. With all this talk about delays and extended deadlines etc, I was prepared for a 12 month or more wait. I decided to renew it. Imagine my surprise when I received my new card about a week after filing. No interview was required. I guess I was just one of the lucky ones. DW filed to renew a few days after I did. She is still waiting for hers. It's only been a couple weeks now.

Nexus enrollment centers are reopening in the US:

U.S. Customs and Border Protection is pleased to announce that the NEXUS and U.S./Canada FAST enrollment centers in the United States will reopen on November 29, 2021. It should be noted, however, that the NEXUS and FAST enrollment centers in Canada will continue to be closed until further notice.

https://www.cbp.gov/newsroom/nation...usfast-enrollment-centers-re-open-november-29

I scheduled an interview for December. It'll be nice to have that done.

Reminded by this thread DH and I just applied for Global Entry. Conditional approval was pretty fast (2-3 days). Getting the interview won't be so fast. The two closest places - Otay Mesa (SD/Tijuana border) and Calexico have no appointments available for several years out. LAX has an appt next July. SF has appointments in December....

We have a trip planned this coming spring to Italy - we'll do the EoA interview on entry at JFK when we arrive back stateside.

Anyone else have issues getting an appointment in a timely manner without travelling out of state or 100's of miles?

Anyone else have issues getting an appointment in a timely manner without travelling out of state or 100's of miles?

My best advice is to keep checking as often as you can. Appointments are canceled all the time, and they will show up immediately.

When we were looking for our NEXUS interview appointments, I logged in and checked every day, and was easily able to get fairly quick appointments.

GE is probably much busier than NEXUS, but I would think the percentage of appointments that get canceled every day must be about the same, so diligent searching could pay dividends.

+1

We are very lucky - the MX border bridges here usually have ample appointments the next week. The one we use is 5 miles away.

I started a new GE application right as the pandemic was firing up. Took a while to get a conditional pre-approval (which just seems to move you to the interview phase).

I’m now hung up on waiting for my passport to be renewed so I can take it to my interview. The check for passport renewal cleared pretty quickly but it’s been 3 months and still no passport…

We have a trip planned this coming spring to Italy - we'll do the EoA interview on entry at JFK when we arrive back

FYI, if you are only going through JFK and have a connecting flight, you won't be able to do the interview. At least that's what I was told in 2019 when I tried to interview on entry in Seattle from Europe. They said they can't guarantee you'll be done with the interview in time to catch your connecting flight. Maybe things have changed, but you may want to double check if that's your situation.

Reminded by this thread DH and I just applied for Global Entry. Conditional approval was pretty fast (2-3 days). Getting the interview won't be so fast. The two closest places - Otay Mesa (SD/Tijuana border) and Calexico have no appointments available for several years out. LAX has an appt next July. SF has appointments in December....

We have a trip planned this coming spring to Italy - we'll do the EoA interview on entry at JFK when we arrive back stateside.

I think they are not currently doing GE interviews at Otay Mesa, hence the "several years out" situation, which I also ran into earlier this year. I was going to the Bay Area anyway, so I just made sure to fly into SFO and coordinate an appointment with my flight arrival.

I have read about a couple of services that will scan for open appointments and alert you whenever one is available. They charge a small fee for this, but it might be worth it.

NEXUS gives you ALL the benefits of Global Entry, PLUS expedited Canadian border crossing, and amazingly enough, it's half the price of GE (just $50 for five years instead of $100).

Seems like there may be a slight difference. Does NEXUS give you expedited security screening when returning to the US from a large int'l airport (e.g. Amsterdam) where you have to go through the same screening procedure as in the US?

NEXUS benefits include:
Access to TSA PreCheck® expedited security lanes at airports within the U.S. and U.S territories for U.S. Citizens, U.S. lawful permanent residents and Canadian citizens.

Global entry benefits include:
Global Entry program members can use Global Entry Customs Kiosks at more than 75 airports when returning to the U.S. from travel abroad.

Seems like there may be a slight difference. Does NEXUS give you expedited security screening when returning to the US from a large int'l airport (e.g. Amsterdam) where you have to go through the same screening procedure as in the US?

I don't know what difference you mean. AFAIK, there is none. Having traveled extensively in Europe, I have never seen anything over there that offered special screening to anyone, whether GE or NEXUS.

Coming back into a North American airport, the routine is identical for both programs.

Thanks Braumeister. Good to know. So does that mean NEXUS holders can also use the GE Customs Kiosks? Not that US customs seems to take long anyway nowadays. The NEXUS pass does seem like a better, cheaper option if I'm going to Blaine WA anyway.

Yes, your NEXUS membership gives you 100% of the Global Entry privileges, plus the extra Canadian benefits.

Just as an example, there was a day a few years ago when we were driving back from Canada through Detroit, going over the Ambassador Bridge, and there was an enormous backup. They had a special NEXUS lane open and we breezed past the whole crowd, saving well over an hour of stop&go traffic.

Back
Top Bottom