Any FIREe's looking for a j*b?

socca, I'm floored that you've not heard of them!

I did a little more research on the Carlyle Group this morning on that impeccable source of unbiased information - youtube :) I found this 6 minute clip that's worth watching: YouTube - Carlyle Group - Bush connection to Bin Laden

We taxpayers should contract with a spy to become an employee of the Carlyle Group to expose what's really going on: who are the shareholders, managers, officers, subcontractors, and clients, and what are they up to? This would be fascinating. As long as our spy can pretend to put making money above all other goals or principles, he or she would fit right in. I would be a good candidate, since I used to be like this :) However, I've done my time among the war-profiteers - this needs a younger face. Any volunteers? :)

Just wondering if the recent events has made anyone who has already taken the plunge think about wading back into the cesspool of, dare I say it, doing that thing outside the home that pays you money. What about those who were on the brink of FIRing? Have your plans changed at all?

Not quite on the brink, but close enough. My plan is to FIRE next summer. So far, our plans have not changed, however the recent financial events has certainly prompted me to re-examine. FireCALC and other online calculators still look okay, just not as comfortable as they were a few weeks ago before the meltdown. The big question of course - are the current market conditions an anomaly or will it take years to recover as some predict? I will see how things look six months out from now and then decide if we are ready to make the break. I don't want to get hung up on the "just one more year...." merry-go-round but current conditions warrant special attention.

I retired in early October but have been offered a job that I think I'd enjoy that would last about 18 months or so. They know my situation (that I'd prefer to be retired) but want some help- it's full time but could work from home 2 days a week, pay is good. My original plan didn't call for me to retire until I'm 55 which is about 18 months away.

Must admit, I'm thinking about it as I had planned to live off a nice severance check from my previous employer before starting to use my retirement funds in about 2 years- this would let us use the severance to purchase a good amount of land in southern Missouri where we could build when we're really ready. Our dream is to build a log house and we have the funds to do this but going this way would let us be able to get a lot more land and some upgrades to the house.

My DW has about 2 years to work until she can get a small retirement with medical benefits paid so we need to stay here in Virginia until then, if we could leave now, would be gone by the end of the week as the cost of living is ridiculous.

Will probably have to make a decision next week, waiting for my former employer to review the job as well to make sure it isn't considered something that would violate the severance agreement. I do have to say that if the first 30 days of retirement is any indication, I love it so a lot of mixed feelings!

Been FIRED since July, I plan on subcontracting some snowplow work this winter for some mad $$$ I hate snow and cold, this seems like a good way to get off the couch and do something when the snow flies...

Pay is $65.00-$85.00 per hour:cool:

I'M CRUSHED...i got a rejection post card from a local grocery store. it seems they aren't interested in hiring an ex-"rocket scientist" as a part-time pharmacy technician. i would have been really good at counting pills.

oh well...back to being FIREd. <sigh>

I'M CRUSHED...i got a rejection post card from a local grocery store. it seems they aren't interested in hiring an ex-"rocket scientist" as a part-time pharmacy technician. i would have been really good at counting pills.

oh well...back to being FIREd. <sigh>

Most if not all states now require a pharmacy technician to be certified, nationally and/or through the state. So even though you are 'over' qualified via your education - that yearly fee and paper certification is what makes the difference. :confused:

Most if not all states now require a pharmacy technician to be certified, nationally and/or through the state. So even though you are 'over' qualified via your education - that yearly fee and paper certification is what makes the difference. :confused:
yes, TY for the info. the ad stated they would train new employees and pay for the certificate. all that was required was a HS or GED, clean record, clean driver's license, pass both a background check & a substance screen.
oh well.... >:D

Our plan was to try ER for a year (we started 5/08) to get an idea of what our expense needs would be. We still plan to stay unemployed till mid may 09, but after that will go back to work - but for another reason.

Now, we're thinking of going back because of the risk to our portfolio longevity caused by the large drop in equities. If we can reduce our withdrawal from our portfolio or eliminate withdrawals, it will allow our portfolio to recover faster.

Still haven't figured out what we'll do when we return to the work-force, but its still 6 months out.

freebird, I have been idly scanning want ads out there (just for "fun", kind of like picking a scab at this point) and the climate is wierd:

These are the requirements for a "Receptionist".. no other title, just "receptionist":
Four-year college degree (strongly preferred)
Experience in the hospitality, restaurant management, or apartment management industry (required)
Financial management skills e.g., ability to analyze P&L statements, develop operating budgets, forecasting and capital expenditure planning
Outstanding people/customer service skills
Superior communication skills (listening, speaking, writing)
Ability to train, develop, lead and inspire a high-functioning team of employees
Demonstrated leadership and strategic thinking skills
Effective change management and problem solving ability
Knowledge of revenue management, marketing strategies, government regulations, and safety standards (e.g. OSHA, EPA, ADA, Fair Housing, EEO, etc.)
High degree of flexibility and high tolerance for change
Computer proficiency
A competitive spirit: we're the best of the best and want a superior team!

Geez.. if I could manage the entire company finances AND the regulations angle, AND manage (nay, "lead") AND train the staff AND do customer service AND marketing AND work the computers, I'd be the boss, not the receptionist!! From $33k.

I've seen more ridiculous expectations, but not all in one ad like this.. :D

A couple of years ago DW applied for a part time $9/hour secretary job at the local university. They had multiple people with Ph.D's applying for it. Apparently there are a lot of people in WV, like us, who are just not interested in dealing with city traffic for bigger incomes.

Age discrimination used to be allowed here, until just a few yrs ago. I laughed my head off when I saw the ad for a bilingual secretary with a 4 year degree and 10 years experience, maximum age 25. So, the successful candidate had to have started college at 11, and work at 15...Oh, by the way, had to be a 'she', and 'she' had to be attractive in addition to her college degree, 10 yrs experience, and relative youth...:bat:

R

oh yeah.. still alive and well here.. there are incentives to stimulate 'youth' employment. Not too many 25 y.o. experienced COBOL programmers but we do see those ads; lots of jobs like that that DH could do easily, but he is too old (at 49) for anyone to consider hiring.

Geez.. if I could manage the entire company finances AND the regulations angle, AND manage (nay, "lead") AND train the staff AND do customer service AND marketing AND work the computers, I'd be the boss, not the receptionist!! From $33k.

You've got to be kidding! Why weren't receptionists with these qualifications and skills be in charge of these WallSt firms, rather than the do-no-good scam artists who rewarded themselves with $500M for destroying their companies. I am not even talking about the damage they have done to society at large, just to their "teammates" that they have put out of work, and the shareholders they bankrupted.

What "high-functioning team of employees" is this receptionist expected to lead? Ladelfina, you've got to be kidding. The aforementioned CEOs would not be fit to be chauffeurs to our qualified receptionist here.

I just can't imagine going back to work. I think about it once a month or so, and the thought of it.... well it's just not pleasant.

I feel the same way! Only I have to go back to work tomorrow.

Can't ER for another year. :2funny:

I always said, when w*(king that the illusion of control of your day/life was important. The fact that Iyou could take off during the day or a vacation on my schedule and such gave that illusion. However, deep down I always knew it was an illusion, and you still had to play 'Mother May I' and somebody could always say no.

Retirement turns the illusion into reality. That is what usually snaps me back when I think of going back to work. Once you sip from the cup of true freedom I don't see how anyone ever goes back and stays happy.

freebird, I have been idly scanning want ads out there (just for "fun", kind of like picking a scab at this point) and the climate is wierd:
These are the requirements for a "Receptionist".. no other title, just "receptionist":
I've seen more ridiculous expectations, but not all in one ad like this.. :D
looks more like a senior office manager to me.
i really liked the scab picking analogy. :D i am not really all that serious about a j*b, but between inflation, my fixed income and dh2b's post divorce expenses + child support, we are living very tightly. so i figured i could do some part time w*rk for mad money so we can enjoy our selves a little more. i will continue to "apply" and see who calls. :rolleyes:

Rethinking retirement

I was contemplating retiring July of 09 or 2010 but now have to rethink this. I will be at my max % in 2011 but if I do go sooner feel that I may have to work at least part time. Not sure what I am going to do. If I could sell my house, and not give it away, it wouldn't even be a problem and I would retire in July of 09.

I always said, when w*(king that the illusion of control of your day/life was important. The fact that Iyou could take off during the day or a vacation on my schedule and such gave that illusion. However, deep down I always knew it was an illusion, and you still had to play 'Mother May I' and somebody could always say no.

Retirement turns the illusion into reality. That is what usually snaps me back when I think of going back to work. Once you sip from the cup of true freedom I don't see how anyone ever goes back and stays happy.

So true Rustic23. I have seriously considered going back to work and many here thought I was nuts! Well, I guess I am but that's a different story;) In any event, you are so correct in your observation that it's hard to consider going back into cubicle city once you have sipped from the cup of freedom.

I agree w/Rustic.. I wouldn't mind doing something constructive for pay, but I would hate to be locked in to a 9-5, 50 weeks a year thing. Temping might not be bad if the work is there; I remember a college summer where I did some unskilled light factory-type work through Kelly svc.s but those jobs are far fewer than they were 30 years ago. I really didn't mind it for the short term, and found the plant sort of interesting, as was the mix of workers (students, oldsters and immigrants).

Another funny ad I saw was for "EXPERIENCED ONLY" interns. :rolleyes:

Me

This Sept I took a part time job with a box store. I know all the horror stories about dealing with the public, but I loved it. I only lasted 7 weeks before I turned in my notice. I wanted a couple of days work per week and they wanted 4-5 and every weekend.

My fellow employees did not want me to leave as I do not mind hard work and I have extensive hands on product knowledge. The customers and I got along great.

They called me last Thursday to see if I was interested in coming back to work. I have to call them today to talk about work hours. I'd love to go back as the benefits to me are greater than the pay. The department I worked in handled the products that I used in one of my hobbies for years, the store is in the town I am trying to move to, and I was able to meet many people in that town that had similar interests to mine. We shall see what we shall see.

Not looking for a job, but would go back if needed. I'm trying to keep my skills up to speed by volunteering at the police dept and court.

I was contemplating retiring July of 09 or 2010 but now have to rethink this. I will be at my max % in 2011 but if I do go sooner feel that I may have to work at least part time. Not sure what I am going to do. If I could sell my house, and not give it away, it wouldn't even be a problem and I would retire in July of 09.

I hope things work out for you. Frank may have to delay his 2009 retirement too, if his investments continue to decline. Hopefully a solid bull market will be upon us before too long.

W2R - This may not be the thread to discuss this, but I was wondering. If Frank had last Jan. 2007, say $1M in savings and would retire and take out $40K, then using 4% inflation, couldn't he take out $41,600, and still be OK. It would appear to me that people that are thinking about delaying retirement, may be doing so unnecessarily.

W2R - This may not be the thread to discuss this, but I was wondering. If Frank had last Jan. 2007, say $1M in savings and would retire and take out $40K, then using 4% inflation, couldn't he take out $41,600, and still be OK. It would appear to me that people that are thinking about delaying retirement, may be doing so unnecessarily.

Rustic, I wish that were the case, though his situation is more complicated. I don't think I should have started talking about it behind his back, though; sorry! :-X

W2R, I am going to move this over to Timing Your Retirement. I would move the post if I could or knew how. But will repost there.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom