Any Reliable Media Players That Play MP4 files?

easysurfer

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Sometimes instead of being hunched over staring at a computer screen when watching MP4 files, I like to sit back on the lazy boy type seat, feet up and watch on the screen of the tv. Seems like an easy thing to do but I've found not so easy and many players don't play MP4 files. I guess must be a propriety thing or something.

I have a Micca Media player and that does play MP4 files, but the player itself is a bit buggy. Sometimes while playing, the player would just freeze up.

I recently got a DVD player that also plays AVI files off a USB flashdrive, but the DVD player is limited to only AVI files and 480p resolution or lower.

What I want is a player that does a good job playing MP4 files without quirks like freezing unexpectedly.

Do you use a Windows or Mac computer? If a Mac, you can use AirPlay to project the app on the computer to a TV that supports AirPlay. My Samsung TV can do this.

We have a PLEX server running on my computer. Just download for free. It is very easy to understand and setup. You just tell it which directory your movies are in. Our smart TV has a plex app that we installed on it and we watch them on there.

Do you use a Windows or Mac computer? If a Mac, you can use AirPlay to project the app on the computer to a TV that supports AirPlay. My Samsung TV can do this.

Windows.

We have a PLEX server running on my computer. Just download for free. It is very easy to understand and setup. You just tell it which directory your movies are in. Our smart TV has a plex app that we installed on it and we watch them on there.

A server seems a bit more involved than what I'm looking for. I'm just looking for a player that is separate from my computer that just plays MP4 files.

A 20 foot HDMI cable from your computer to the TV is $12 on Amazon

Thought about using a laptop and HDMI cable. But then that takes away sitting back on lazy boy using a remote control. Plus lots of effort to go booting a laptop to play a video through the TV.

We just use a laptop and HDMI cable, too.

We have swivel laptop tables (anchored by our recliners) that can position our laptops exactly where we want them when sitting back. Frank can sit back in his recliner and easily operate his laptop since it is already so conveniently placed. No need to search for a remote when you can just grab the mouse on the recliner arm-rest. We always have our laptops "fired up" anyway, to multitask or browse on youtube while we talk or do other things. YMMV but it works for us. We love watching youtubes this way on my big 65" TV.

I use a Dune 4k HD, not cheap but. I like the internal hard disk for my TV Series and Movie files. I pretty much use x265 format now exclusively. There are lots of options Zidoo has a nice one too.

We play mp4 videos on our TV two ways; either stick the thumb drive in the attached Roku box, or stick it in the TV itself. Then play the desired movie via the appropriate menu. Would this work for you?

_B

I use an opensource PVR/DVR app called SageTV, but it doesn't play all of my mp4 files - maybe it would if I worked with codecs, splitters, and such, but instead of putting in the effort, I just open VLC player on my home theater PC and play from there. It handles everything I've needed to play. Of course, the negative part is that I can't do all that with the remote control. I have an Amazon Fire HD Max 4K, and there are ways to do that with it, although I haven't taken the time for that. The USB stick option isn't an option with my TV.

Last edited:
Many Blu Ray players will play mp4 videos on a flash drive. However, the mp4 video file will have to use a compatible codec, format, container etc. It's the same issue for the Roku boxes that play mp4 files from a flash drive. If push comes to shove, you might have to convert the mp4 file on your computer to an mp4 type compatible with your player..

I was going to suggest this one as well.

Curious, what media players don't play MP4?

From what I've seen. Seems most media players don't. I'm talking about hardware, not software :).

We play mp4 videos on our TV two ways; either stick the thumb drive in the attached Roku box, or stick it in the TV itself. Then play the desired movie via the appropriate menu. Would this work for you?

_B

No Roku box and not that smart a tv here.

Looks like I'll be sticking with my Micca Media player until I find a better solution. A little buggy but works more often than not. Sorta is good enough for now since I'm watch using the media player all the time.

Yet, wouldn't hurt me to browse around to see if there is one less buggy and plays MP4 files.

I recently got a DVD player that also plays AVI files off a USB flashdrive, but the DVD player is limited to only AVI files and 480p resolution or lower.

What I want is a player that does a good job playing MP4 files without quirks like freezing unexpectedly.

I hope you didn't pay any money for the DVD player.

You might have to spend some money and get a blu-ray player that has a USB port on it and can handle various video and audio file formats. The blu-ray player will play both blu-ray and DVD's, also audio CDs. Might as well get a 4K blu-ray player to somewhat future proof it, that is, assuming you have or will be getting a 4K capable TV.

You might have to spend some money and get a blu-ray player that has a USB port on it and can handle various video and audio file formats. The blu-ray player will play both blu-ray and DVD's, also audio CDs. Might as well get a 4K blu-ray player to somewhat future proof it, that is, assuming you have or will be getting a 4K capable TV.

DVD Player was an Amazon Vine purchase. Almost free :).

But, will the blu-ray play MP4 files? Otherwise, misses what I need.

A couple of months ago I bought this Blu-ray DVD player for just over $80. It does everything mentioned in the quoted post--especially playing MP4s via a thumb drive plugged into the unit.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09WTTPTKY?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

A couple of months ago I bought this Blu-ray DVD player for just over $80. It does everything mentioned in the quoted post--especially playing MP4s via a thumb drive plugged into the unit.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09WTTPTKY?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

Do most blu-ray players play MP4 videos? Maybe I was barking up the wrong tree all along.

I will have to check into blu-rays. Thanks.

Note that not all mp4 files are the same, so some may play and not others. There are different codecs and parameters involved that can trip up some players as I mentioned earlier with some software I use.

I have several options in our family room on our TV (HiSense):

• A USB port that I can play mp4 files from a USB drive.
  • HDMI ports which have attached:
    • A laptop to play mp4 files (I have enough computers that I have one dedicated to this TV for things like this, if needed)
    • A Blue-Ray DVD player (Sony) to play mp4s from the disc, or via a drive attached to the USB slot
  • Roku media player app (via a simple DLNA server)
In the "man cave", I have an A/V receiver which I use either a dedicated computer or a FireTV stick with VLC media player to play mp4s.

All of my mp4s are stored on a network share, so other than the USB drive options, all of the methods are playing mp4s that are stored in a single location.

Also, from my tablet I can cast to either the TV or projector via the Fire TV stick, so anything playing there (including mp4s) will show up on the respective screen.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom