Any Travel Plan for 2019?

Status
Not open for further replies.
And I am doing this while laying down, the laptop on my tummy.

Very comfortable.

Sometimes, I even have a glass of cold gin nearby.

PS. And I alternate between this and a window showing some Youtube videos on travel. Very low-cost entertainment, and without having to leave home.

Last edited:
For those of you going to Greece, would love to hear more when you get back...that's on our "short list" of international trips we'd like to take.

Wife and I have a bucket list item to see the NFL Oakland Raiders (will be Las Vegas Raiders next year) play in every NFL city. We've been to 24 cities so far. In 2 weeks we'll be seeing them play in Minneapolis. Next year is Atlanta and New York, then we have Dallas, Miami, Los Angeles, Buffalo, Tampa Bay, and maybe a couple others I can't recall right now. Really having fun doing this....should complete in 2024 in Tampa.

We spent six weeks in Greece last year and loved it. Visited Skopelos, Skiathos, Athens, several Cyclades islands, and Rhodes. Let me know if you have specific questions and I’d be happy to provide information. We planned our own trip and it took me a lot of hours, but was well worth the time.

It has been a busy travel year. So far this year my wife and I have been to these places. I have not gone with her to the ones in bold.

Egypt

Nashville

Florida

Jamaica

Tenerife

Madrid

Maldives St. Regis

Sri Lanka

Qatar

Estes Park

Traverse City

Oshkosh

Dublin

Tucson

Tahiti

Moorea

Bora Bora

NYC

Later this week we are going to Jordan. Then Nov has a short trip to Las Vegas. And immediately after Christmas we are off to Sydney Australia to ring in NYE!

Wow! I thought we traveled a lot but this is quite a list. What percentage of time are you away?

We had planned a three month trip to the ABC Islands (Aruba, Bonaire & Curaçao) but have cancelled due to our dog’s deteriorating health. Since we planned the trip several months ago, we also decided to move to the desert, which also encouraged us to cancel. Unfortunately neither of these reasons would have been covered by trip insurance, unless we had purchased “cancel for any reason” insurance, which is quite expensive.

Now that our new-to-us home has been fixed up, we are finally back to doing lots of traveling. Even moving to our dream home by the sea hasn't curtailed our travel bug, so I guess we're terminally bitten. :)

Currently we are traveling through the eastern provinces of Canada by both boat and land. Had to undertake some duck and run maneuvers during our cruise to avoid Hurricane Dorian when she reached the NE, which was interesting!

We're cruising around S. America for five weeks in early 2020, and walking 225 miles of the Camino de Santiago in Spain for my husband's 65th birthday in late spring. We're also planning to RV back to the Pacific Northwest for the second half of summer, running into early fall.

We focused on making the outside of our home very, very low maintenance for just this reason!

Last edited:
Had a blast in Grand Cayman Labor Day week. Also just booked another liveaboard dive trip in the Bahamas for Christmas week.

Wow! I thought we traveled a lot but this is quite a list. What percentage of time are you away?

Most of the travel abroad is done in the spring and fall, when kids are back in school. That way there aren't as many people around. I don't know percentage. If my wife had her way it wold probably be 100%! I think in total for this year it will probably be 4-5 months in total. Some of those like Oshkosh, Traverse City, etc are only for a few days at a time.

We had a driver for the whole time. I would not drive in that country.
:LOL: (The second time I was there, 1963, I spent a month, and celebrated my 21st birthday.)

Last time I visited was on an R&R from Saudi in 1985.....rented a car, drove all over; arrived at a small inn, same time as an Australian family, complete with driver. Oz said "Geez, are you driving yourself?" explained that it was kid's stuff after Riyadh.

A shot taken by my late wife through the windshield on a rainy rural day:

Love to return, but my travel days are running short, and there are too many other places I want to (try and) see.

:LOL: (The second time I was there, 1963, I spent a month, and celebrated my 21st birthday.)

Last time I visited was on an R&R from Saudi in 1985.....rented a car, drove all over; arrived at a small inn, same time as an Australian family, complete with driver. Oz said "Geez, are you driving yourself?" explained that it was kid's stuff after Riyadh.

A shot taken by my late wife through the windshield on a rainy rural day:

Love to return, but my travel days are running short, and there are too many other places I want to (try and) see.

Yeah, that about sums it up. I thought for sure no less than 6 times that my life was over. I give the guy credit, he barreled his way through that.

We are going to Amman Jordan next week and heard that city is a mess to drive too. Still not sure if I'm renting my own car or figuring something else out.

We are going to Amman Jordan next week and heard that city is a mess to drive too. Still not sure if I'm renting my own car or figuring something else out.

Just remember that, in the M.E., the horn is your friend. And never presume, because you're going the right way down a one way street, that there isn't someone hurtling towards you. :LOL::LOL:

On our recent trip to Ireland, I remembered Nemo2 mentioning the "oldest pub in Ireland", Kyteler's Inn in Kilkenny. It's been there since 1324, so I had to drop in for a pint (or two).

Then when we were in Dublin, I found The Brazen Head, which also calls itself the oldest pub in Ireland, dating back to 1198. They also had a good pint (or two).

I commented on this phenomenon to a local, who scoffed and pointed me to an even older pub, Sean's Bar in Athlone, operating since 900. Alas, there wasn't time to visit, so perhaps on the next trip, by which time I fully expect to hear about another pub that has been operating since Neolithic times.

You wouldn't believe the amount of Irish stout I was forced to consume in the course of my research. :cool:

Been doing some very preliminary planning for going to Malta next year, then taking a cruise from there.

Just looking at all the flights with airport layover tired me out already. Still, my wife said that if we don't do it now, it is only going to be harder as we get older.

Next year is supposed to be the year for long-range RV travel, but I thought I would save RV'ing for later when we don't want to do air travel anymore, or get tired of international trips.

Darn, I am not even Medicare age yet, why am I feeling so pooped?

Maybe you could catch a cruise to get you close to Malta, so you don't have to fly so much ?

Do a TA to Rome ?

Just returned from 3 weeks in Scotland. Hiked the West Highland Way, spent time in Edinburgh, and on the Isle of Skye. Beautiful country, quite wet and green. Very friendly people. Haggis not that bad. Enjoyed everything about it.

Had a blast in Grand Cayman Labor Day week. Also just booked another liveaboard dive trip in the Bahamas for Christmas week.

Are you going on the Aquacat? We did that and loved it.

Maybe you could catch a cruise to get you close to Malta, so you don't have to fly so much ?

Do a TA to Rome ?

I like to spend some time in Malta pre or post cruise. In addition, my intention for the cruise is to spend more time on the Eastern Mediterranean. I have been to the west side such as Barcelona, Nice, Monaco, etc...

On our recent trip to Ireland, I remembered Nemo2 mentioning the "oldest pub in Ireland", Kyteler's Inn in Kilkenny. It's been there since 1324, so I had to drop in for a pint (or two).

Then when we were in Dublin, I found The Brazen Head, which also calls itself the oldest pub in Ireland, dating back to 1198. They also had a good pint (or two).

I commented on this phenomenon to a local, who scoffed and pointed me to an even older pub, Sean's Bar in Athlone, operating since 900. Alas, there wasn't time to visit, so perhaps on the next trip, by which time I fully expect to hear about another pub that has been operating since Neolithic times.

You wouldn't believe the amount of Irish stout I was forced to consume in the course of my research. :cool:

I liked visiting Athlone. It has a lot of history but isn't overrun by tourists (at least it wasn't when we visited 20+ years ago).

We're on a Silversea cruise at the moment from Seward, Alaska, to Tokyo. Next stop is Petropavlosk, Russia.

Just paid for our airfare next May to Edinburgh, will be spending about 10 days and need to end up down in Southampton to catch a cruise ship.

Originally I planned 3 days in Edinburgh and then train to London for 7 days.

But now I'm thinking I should ask all you brilliant experienced folks :)

What would you do with 10 days over there, starting in Edinburgh and not really wanting to drive, maybe stopping for a day or two elsewhere is not to be missed ?
(I could drive if you felt it was really needed for a few days).

Do you know of great places to stay (airbnb, etc) in the places ?

Headed to Minnesota to see Raiders game Sunday. I’m a Raider fan and have bucket list item to see them play in every NFL city. This will be number 24. Next year is Atlanta and New York. Plan to finish in 2024 in Tampa Bay.

We have a great trip scheduled for early September 2019 in Croatia. I have eight siblings, and we are all retired. My siblings, along with their spouses and significant others are going to go on a bike and boat Trip through the islands of Croatia. This is an eight day trip, onboard a boat with 17 cabins , so it will accommodate all of us. The bikes are e-bikes, which makes the biking fun and easy for us old folks. (Some of us couldn't do this trip without e-bikes)
I have never been to Croatia before, although I have been to Italy and I understand that the weather is fairly close to Italy and warm and comfortable in September. Has anyone else ever done these bike trips? The tour company that we are going with is called Tripsite. They have a really nice looking boat, a guide on our daily bike trips through the islands, stopping in small villages of Croatia. They provide lodging and meals, and the price is very reasonable. I will report back and let people know how this trip went. This company has electric bikes, which make the biking through the hilly country of the Croatian islands very easy. A lot of us already ride electric bikes, and so are familiar with them. .
I believe you will be on an Island Hopping Tour (booked through Tripsite), we did one 2 1/2 years ago and loved it. We were on the Melody and also chose ebikes, it was our first bike trip on ebikes and found them fun and carefree.
We are going on a VBT tour soon in Portugal on ebikes. You will enjoy Croatia and the tour company.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom