Any Travel Plan for 2019?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is Glacier prettier than The Grand Tetons?

I don't think I would say that, and I've been to both. I got better photos in Glacier this year than the Tetons 7 years ago, but a lot of that was timing and being there much longer.

Attachments

• IMG_4662bfb.jpg
    IMG_4662bfb.jpg
    642.3 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_250FB.jpg
    IMG_250FB.jpg
    813.7 KB · Views: 43
I went to Acadia NP years ago and have my first trip to Glacier NP scheduled for next summer. Since I want to stay in the park at a historical hotel or one with lake views, I had to make my reservations a year ahead of time. So I have bookings for both early June and early Sept 2020 to try to avoid the crowds and will cancel one of them depending on weather or forest fire smoke - Many Glacier Lodge closes in mid Sept. I may prefer Glacier with the wildlife and glaciers but traveling along the Maine coast with the beautiful deep blue water and historical towns was very special to this desert rat and I would like to go back at least one more time.

Last edited:
I had an interesting conversation with a professional landscape photographer a few years ago. He said that in his business Acadia NP was near the top. In fact, he said that when you saw a really stunning photo in a magazine, there was a significant chance that it was taken in Acadia.

Even allowing for some hyperbole because it was his favorite, that's a pretty strong endorsement.

I've been there a few times and I can vouch for the fact that there are a lot of nooks and crannies that can easily be overlooked, and the light changes so much during the course of the day that great photos are very possible with some patience.

Albuquerque International Balloon Festiva. The world's most photographed event.

You were probably one of the few people there this morning not complaining about the cold. Oct 11 is a little early for near freezing temperatures. Hope you got to see the Special Shapes this morning.

Albuquerque International Balloon Festiva. The world's most photographed event.

Although some of the operators appear somewhat deficient in directionality:

NetNewsLedger - Balloonists in America's Challenge Rescued by De Beers Victor Mine Staff

The balloonists, an American resident, and Polish resident were competing in the 23rd Annual America’s Challenge Gas Balloon race headquartered in Albuquerque, New Mexico and were racing to Duluth, Minnesota.

I went to Acadia NP years ago and have my first trip to Glacier NP scheduled for next summer. Since I want to stay in the park at a historical hotel or one with lake views, I had to make my reservations a year ahead of time. So I have bookings for both early June and early Sept 2020 to try to avoid the crowds and will cancel one of them depending on weather or forest fire smoke - Many Glacier Lodge closes in mid Sept. I may prefer Glacier with the wildlife and glaciers but traveling along the Maine coast with the beautiful deep blue water and historical towns was very special to this desert rat and I would like to go back at least one more time.

We stayed at Many Glacier lodge and the views were SPECTACULAR!!! The lodge is old but the views more than made up for it. I would love to go back!

I loved Acadia- I think I liked it better than Glacier. Have fun!

Why? The views and amounts of wildlife were more prolific in Glacier.

We have been to Glacier NP twice, and to Acadia thrice. Both times at Glacier on two different RV trips, we were too early in the season, and the "Going to the Sun" road was not open. I will have to make a 3rd trip.

Acadia NP is not as large as and has the grandeur of Glacier NP, but it is close to many live lobster pounds in the area. It's more than the NP, but to be in the midst of the fall foliage of New England and the Canadian Maritimes that time of year ... I can come back every year.

Both are worth it, and there's no reason to compare them. All NPs are worth a visit, else they would not be NP.

Last edited:
Why? The views and amounts of wildlife were more prolific in Glacier.
I'm sure it's partially a matter of taste. I am a water lover, and I was enthralled with the coastal views and the tides. One evening I remember gathering mussels at low tide and then curling up in a lawn chair and watching the tide come in and cover the rocks I had just gathered mussels on. I'll be back.

Last edited:
I'm sure it's partially a matter of taste. I am a water lover, and I was enthralled with the coastal views and the tides. One evening I remember gathering mussels at low tide and then curling up in a lawn chair and watching the tide come in and cover the rocks I had just gathered mussels on. I'll be back.

That is exactly what I was trying to ascertain. It now makes sense as to your preference.

Tortola BVI in February for 8 days with some British(Northern Ireland) friends then Kauwai(7 days) and Oahu(3 days) in October with family. In laws go to Oahu every October before settling in for the long VT winter.

I am right now traveling in a very large air conditioned coach from St. Emilion to Montignac in the Dordogne. I now understand why National Geographic Expeditions are so expensive. We have 18 tour participants. There are 3 full time Nat Geo staff always traveling and staying with us, plus the driver and bus who stay with us the whole time for a given country. The staff are - a subject expert for the whole trip, paleoarchaeologist in this case, a logistics person for the whole trip, and a country expert who changed from Spain to France. We also have local guides for most destinations, and a local expert presenting most Paleolithic sites. For meals, separate seating and specific menus are arranged. It’s extremely well orchestrated.

We’ve already seen some awesome Paleolithic cave art in Spain, and more coming up in France.

Audrey, how would you characterize your tour participants? Are they especially well versed in the science or are they just curious types? Are they fun to be with?

Another question Audrey, is your group able to see areas in the caves that are normally off limits to typical tourists? And are you able to see them at different times so they are not as crowded?
I've been interested in these since reading "Clan of the Cave Bear" series!

I now understand why National Geographic Expeditions are so expensive.

No question.
We've taken two Nat Geo/Lindblad cruises, one to Alaska and the other to the Galapagos. Both were very expensive and both were worth every penny. That level of expertise you get with their guides/naturalists/SMEs is just awesome.

Audrey, how would you characterize your tour participants? Are they especially well versed in the science or are they just curious types? Are they fun to be with?

It’s been a fun group. Folks interested in Paleoanthropology, but no experts or serious amateurs, so we aren’t “outclassed”. Lots of retired professionals, doctors, engineers, etc. Obviously these professions do have some scientific training but not in this field at all. Curious and enthusiastic overall. Many have done other Nat Geo trips.

Last edited:
Another question Audrey, is your group able to see areas in the caves that are normally off limits to typical tourists? And are you able to see them at different times so they are not as crowded?
I've been interested in these since reading "Clan of the Cave Bear" series!
No, I believe we are seeing locations open to the public even if restricted. But as a group all sightings so far have been our group alone. We’ve been the first in and not dealt with crowds. And we have access to some scientists from the sites who even get on the bus with us and talk or even spend the whole day with us.

The caves we are seeing in person will probably be closed to the public at some point.

The caves we are seeing in person will probably be closed to the public at some point.

I was reading that one of the caves on the French side (Dordogne?) was replicated exactly so that the original would be preserved

A burst of travel to end the year.

Just finished a weekend trip to San Luis Potosí for a friend’s big sendoff party before she starts her PhD in France. Lots of tequila and singing with a surprise Mariachi visit. May have had a photo taken with authentic Mariachi sombrero...

This Thursday back to visit family in Texas for a week.

In November the wife is joining a friend for a few weeks of yoga and mystical plant potion training in southern Oaxaca. I am using the time for classes in sketching and vegan cooking as well as writing. Also a jazz tour in Mexico City. Meeting the wife and friend in Oaxaca for a few days of sightseeing.

Plan on staying inside and resting the entire month of December lol

I was reading that one of the caves on the French side (Dordogne?) was replicated exactly so that the original would be preserved

Yes, Lascaux IV which we will see tomorrow, a second generation replica and far more accurate. The original has been closed since 1963. Also the most famous one in Spain, Altamira, has been closed for a long time and you see a replica.

I got an award ticket to New Zealand for 125,000 Virgin Atlantic miles on Air New Zealand business class in December.

Transferred the points from Chase Sapphire.

Same ticket would require 180,000 United miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom