Any workaholics able to hang it up?

Last year two (non-workaholic) work friends in their late 50's were diagnosed with cancer; one died. This year, a workaholic co-worker developed cancer at age 65, is struggling through painful treatments but plans to come back to work when it is over. He is FI but 'still doesn't know what to do with all that time'. I know I shouldn't judge his decisions, but I feel like shaking him and saying, "dude, get a grip- life is too short! Enjoy your kids and grand kids!"
I find that really sad. I have the benefit of being the kid of parents who retired early, much because of Dad's experience with a good friend who was aged out with forced retirement and then died months later. For most, ER is a foreign concept that has to be learned. FIL worked into his 70's, (though that was no doubt preferable to being at home with MIL,) and I had to convince DH of the viability of the ER idea and the desirability of it. He has only recently become a strong convert, though he fortunately humored me with a strong savings culture which allowed FI. Hopefully our kids will be the third generation to have the ER option as well. Ignorance of the concept certainly will be no excuse for them.

I likewise define 'workaholic' as simply meaning someone that is driven. That drive will not go away in ER, it will simply, ideally, be directed elsewhere. I think my DH and I are pretty good examples of former workaholics who are now ERaholics. We are just as driven in our ER pursuits as we were in our pre-ER jobs.

It's more than just being driven because there are a lot of driven people ( such as myself) that are not w*rkaholics. Studies show many workaholics are also driven to get something done, even if there's nothing worthwhile to be done, or to expand a problem ( make mountains out of molehills) just to feel busy and have a sense of accomplishment. And most of all to be driven to please a someone higher in the vertical matrix.

Those driven with a sense of balance will efficiently solve problems at work for pay, then leave in time for early dinner at home, driven to solve problems and fix things at home and spend quality time with spouse and kids and stay driven to maintain an exercise routine as well as read, relax or keep up with hobbies before getting plenty of rest.

It's more than just being driven because there are a lot of driven people ( such as myself) that are not w*rkaholics. Studies show many workaholics are also driven to get something done, even if there's nothing worthwhile to be done, or to expand a problem ( make mountains out of molehills) just to feel busy and have a sense of accomplishment. And most of all to be driven to please a someone higher in the vertical matrix.

Those driven with a sense of balance will efficiently solve problems at work for pay, then leave in time for early dinner at home, driven to solve problems and fix things at home and spend quality time with spouse and kids and stay driven to maintain an exercise routine as well as read, relax or keep up with hobbies before getting plenty of rest.

I'm exhausted just from reading that...

Back
Top Bottom