Anybody care to learn a new language?

Chuckanut

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I have been using DuoLingo for several months to work on my Italian. I realize I will never be very fluent without a long term stay in Italy, but it is fun to learn and certainly makes travel there more interesting. I like they way the present information, go back and 'strengthen' old language skills, and gently remind me if I have skipped more than a day.

Anybody here care to to be a language learning friend using Duolingo? I am not interested in a competition, just some friendly support for each other as we move through the lessons. Any language will do, as far as I'm concerned. We can each choose our own.

Been working on German this year - I just sent you a friend request on Duolingo.
I try to do just a little bit each day so that maybe some of this will stick with me...
It is fun to do with Duolingo

Friends just turned us onto DuoLingo. My son is taking Spanish in school - and is now using this to reinforce it.

I'm still slogging through Italian with Rosetta Stone... but tend to pick it up and use it for 2 months before a trip... not enough to get conversational... but enough that I can try and understand DH's cousins... at least key words.

I have been using DuoLingo for several months to work on my Italian. I realize I will never be very fluent without a long term stay in Italy, but it is fun to learn and certainly makes travel there more interesting. I like they way the present information, go back and 'strengthen' old language skills, and gently remind me if I have skipped more than a day.

Anybody here care to to be a language learning friend using Duolingo? I am not interested in a competition, just some friendly support for each other as we move through the lessons. Any language will do, as far as I'm concerned. We can each choose our own.

I love learning languages! When I was a kid, I took out the Hugo languages on tapes (with a book) during my summer break. I did (well started at least) French, German, Russian and Danish.

I would love to learn Italian for our Dolomites trip next year. Since I work and have so many after work hobbies, I mostly listen to language learning podcasts while I'm at work (pending the task of course).

Anybody here care to to be a language learning friend using Duolingo?
Would like to, but afraid it's too late for me...
Current fun schtick is reviewing German, French, Spanglish, and Esperanto. :blush:

I just sent you a friend request also (LingoGal987). Int Spanish and Beg French for me.

Should be fun, thanks so much.

I have been meaning to try out DuoLingo for a while. I learned some Italian years ago using the Pimsleur courses, which I found to be pretty effective for learning the basics of speaking and comprehension. How would you rate DuoLingo in this regard? In other words, what are the plusses and minuses?

I've been using Duolingo for 6 months to learn French. I think I'm a level 6 or 7 right now.

I haven't touched duolingo in a month or two since I've been doing a Coursera online course in a different subject.

Time to get back to French!

A good resource someone else pointed me to is italki.com . It looks like an exchange where you can find conversation partners that are fluent or working on fluency. I signed up but never really used it.

I was pretty heavily using Duolingo last summer to learn Spanish and refresh German, but got out of the habit. DH does an hour or more each day of Spanish (which he had taken a bit of in college) and is now meeting up with a native Spanish-speaker friend occasionally to work on conversation. So it does work.

Surprisingly, I haven't tried Duolingo yet. I take classes locally and hire tutors sometimes. I speak French pretty well, have been studying Italian for 3-4 years and dabble in Spanish. I currently enjoy "Slow News in Italian".

I have decided to give DuoLingo a try to learn Spanish.

My wife and I have plans to spend a few months in a Spanish immersion school somewhere cheap, probably either Guatemala or Nicaragua. Some have options for 2 on 1 (one instructor for a couple/siblings/2 friends) where you have 4 hours per day of class and live with a local family.

Like most people not retired yet it just isn't an option right now while we're punching the clock, but once we've got the time it seems like a great way to ramp up from our relatively basic level to something useful.

I would love to know Spanish and Italian, but with not too many free neurons left my priority is to relearn French, and I have been too lazy to do it.

My parents had me learn French as a 2nd language starting when I was 5 or 6, but at 12 I started to learn English which took over as a more practical language for business as well as academic reasons. My last French class was when I was 16, I believe.

I recently realized that the foreign language skill I need now is conversational, and not for writing essays or for college level papers. So, I should look into these new tools and techniques, but darn I am so lazy nowadays.

French is my favorite foreign language, and it sounds so sweet from the "mademoiselles". Just listen to this song by Hélène Rollès. :smitten:

Last edited:
I'm just downloaded the Duolingo app. Thanks for mentioning this app. I love learning new languages.

Oh dear, I am learning French and mandarin on Duolingo. For French language, no hiccups or charges but for Mandarin, I can't unlock the 3 rd lesson unless I pay a certain charge! There's a statement saying that if u find the lessons helpful, need to pay USD38 to unlock levels. So, it's not free for all languages.

Back
Top Bottom