Anyone Else Get An Unexpected Check From The US Treasury Recently ?

ownyourfuture

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I received this check from the US treasury today.
29143-albums233-picture1895.jpeg

I've already posted regarding my 2018 return. Some of you may remember.
http://www.early-retirement.org/for...es-related-to-healthcare-insurance-96744.html
I went over the income cliff related to my high deductible health care insurance by $305.00 which cost me dearly. Ended up owing the feds & state.
Used TurboTax deluxe, as I have for the past 19 years, & until today, figured my 2018 taxes were a done deal.

Tomorrow's supposed to be a rainy day, so I'll try to contact the IRS via phone.
In the meantime, I'm just curious to know if anyone else here received a similar 'Tax Refund 30'

I received this check from the US treasury today.
29143-albums233-picture1895.jpeg

I've already posted regarding my 2018 return. Some of you may remember.
http://www.early-retirement.org/for...es-related-to-healthcare-insurance-96744.html
I went over the income cliff related to my high deductible health care insurance by $305.00 which cost me dearly. Ended up owing the feds & state.
Used TurboTax deluxe, as I have for the past 19 years, & until today, figured my 2018 taxes were a done deal.

Tomorrow's supposed to be a rainy day, so I'll try to contact the IRS via phone.
In the meantime, I'm just curious to know if anyone else here received a similar 'Tax Refund 30'

Good luck in contacting them. I had a "correction" notification sent from them for my 2018 return, which was because I had filed an amended 2017 return in early March 2018....which as of June 1 they had STILL not processed. Anyway, it took me four attempts on different days to finally reach a human. On the earlier attempts, after waiting on hold for 10 minutes, I either got a message that they were backed up and to call again or got disconnected. I wouldn't have cared except the letter said that if I didn't contact them they would assume I agreed with their "correction".

No, I did not receive one. If I did, I’d deposit it now and wait to see if they send an explanation later on. They probably thought you paid too much in taxes.

Us too!

We got a refund check like this too for 2018. We said woohoo and deposited it (not a large amount but a nice gift in the mailbox that day!)

Don't bother cashing it--I copied it, filled in the blanks, and deposited it this morning :LOL:

We got a "tax refund 30" as well - just checked to see. Was able to do so because I plan to keep mine. After all, how many times does one get a check from the tax man for $1 (and no cents).

Usually the IRS will send a separate letter to explain the change resulting in the refund. I’d wait a couple days for that to arrive before calling.

Good luck in contacting them.
Anyway, it took me four attempts on different days to finally reach a human.
I understand all too well. Some years ago, I received a letter from the IRS showing that I had made a mistake on my taxes from 2 years earlier. They said I owed $1,600.00 & change. They only gave me about 10 days from the day I received the letter, before additional late fees/penalties would be added.

Luckily for me, on or about day 6, I finally got through to a rep. I explained the situation to her, gave her my name & SS#, & she said "give me a moment"

About 10 seconds later, she came back & said, "we're sorry, that was just an oversight on our part, you don't owe anything"

Last edited:
Usually the IRS will send a separate letter to explain the change resulting in the refund. I’d wait a couple days for that to arrive before calling.

That makes a lot of sense. The last thing I want to do is 'try' to contact the IRS.

Do the IRS not have direct deposit? Sending cheques in the mail seems so antiquated!

So Mother got a similar check in early May. Then a letter came from the IRS. She does not make quarterly payments and the letter referenced a difference in the penalty for not making those quarterly payments.

I do her taxes on Turbo Tax....Whatever....glad to get money back.

Do the IRS not have direct deposit? Sending cheques in the mail seems so antiquated!

They would direct deposit if you request but OP wasn't expecting refund so would not have provided the required info.

glad to get money back.
Even though it's a fairly minuscule amount, I am as well.
Just hoping, that like your Mother, I get a follow up letter explaining why, & what effect, if any, it will have when I do my 2019 taxes.

Received the follow up/explanation letter today:

We reviewed your form 1040 for the tax period ended 2018 & found that you miscalculated your estimated tax penalty.

If you were in a disaster area, you may have been granted additional time to file returns & pay taxes. We considered any such time when we computed your penalty.

You are due a refund of $163.00

Back
Top Bottom