Anyone in the age group 40-49??

Just turned 47. Hope to retire by 65.

This subgroup (or what you call it) is labeled "Young Dreamers". THANKYOU, THANKYOU, THANKYOU. Don't know how much longer I'll be called young still.

Jenni

LoveNumbers said:
Don't know how much longer I'll be called young still.
It's a state of mind or a behavior standard, not a number...

It's a state of mind or a behavior standard, not a number...

"You're never too old to have a happy childhood."  -- Wavy Gravy

I'm 41 and hoping to FIRE while I'm still in this age bracket.

Just turned 40 end of Aug. That is my physical age. Mentally, I am sure DW would say I am much younger ;-)

IBWino said:
DW and I are both 45, looking to ER at 50 if all goes well, 55 at the latest. Is 40-something the age when most begin to seriously dream of ER?

It seems that way. In our thirties, most of us are too busy having fun, or trying to survive the rat race. Of course there are plenty of 30 somethings on this board that are already planning.

I know it "hit" me at 42 when I developed something I called "The 13-year Plan" that would allow me to FIRE at 55. Since then I've realized I will probably be able to do it by 47-48 instead thanks to a like minded S.O. and a small inheritance.

My partner and I are 49. She can retire in six years and I can in 6.5 years.

Yes, I think I started getting serious about ER just about the time I hit 40.

I'm 42. ER'd in April this year.

Decompression almost complete. Currently still relishing an almost euphoric sense of freeeeedom permeating in my consciousness. Later may do some advisory jigs in exchange for chump change and paid travel to exotic locations :cool:

Even though I am way past 49, that was the age when the ER bug bit.
I would say about 9 months from infection to implementation. Reaction of
friends and family was "shock and awe". From where I sit now, one of
the best decisions of my life.

JG

ER'ed Sept 1 and turned 48 a few days later. Still feels like a long vacation, but watching all of the late Sunday NFL game and suddenly realizing that I did not have to worry about getting up Monday AM was a priceless moment--first time it really hit me that I was retired!

Wheel said:
ER'ed Sept 1 and turned 48 a few days later. Still feels like a long vacation, but watching all of the late Sunday NFL game and suddenly realizing that I did not have to worry about getting up Monday AM was a priceless moment--first time it really hit me that I was retired!

It took me several weeks to get past that 'oh crap tomorrow is Monday' feeling.

Wheel said:

And what a great victory for the Chicago Bears! Dem Bears is worth stayin' up late ta watch!

I'm 45 work for the Government and currently have about 350K in thrift savings plan. One rental hours with about 350K equity and one condo DW and I live in with about 250K. Oh yes and about 15K in IRA. Plan on retiring the day I turn 56 no matter what. Hey its 21 years down and 11 to go. :)

Really enjoy this forum.

Jason

I'm still in for a few more months.....@ 49.

I get paroled hit ER first week of April '07!!!

Only 159 days left shackled in the chain-gang my job.

But, hey, who's counting:confused: :LOL:

45 here and when I bent over to pick up that quarter on the ground after my 4 mile walk I felt like 65. When I spent it on a candy bar I felt like I was a kid again.

42 in a few days - DW also 42 - staring down the barrel of 4-5 years with at least 2 of the 3 kids in college at the same time. ER on the radar but not until kids are out of school.

44 here. Getting closer to FI but will probably keep working until my son is mostly through college, or about 10 more years if he decides to be a bum.

dusk_to_dawn said:
44 here. Getting closer to FI but will probably keep working until my son is mostly through college, or about 10 more years if he decides to be a bum.

:D :D :D

41 and holding Wife is 43, but she tells everyone she is celebrating the 3rd anniversary of her 40th birthday. Children are 16, 13, 11, 10, and the mortgage is paid off in 10yrs.

Back
Top Bottom