Apple Pays Out Over Claims it Deliberately Slowed Down iPhones

Qs Laptop

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Apple has begun making payments in a long-running class action lawsuit over claims it deliberately slowed down certain iPhones in the US. Complainants will receive a cut of a $500 million settlement which works out to around $92 per claim.

The US case dates back to December 2017, when Apple confirmed a long-held suspicion among phone owners by admitting it had deliberately slowed down some iPhones as they got older. It said that as batteries aged, their performance decreased, and so the "slowdown" lengthened the phones' lifespan.

But it was accused of throttling the performance of certain iPhones without telling its customers, and the uproar resulted in Apple offering a cut-price battery replacement to fix the problem.

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-67911517

Much to my amazement, I found two payments from Apple in my bank account this morning, for $92.17 each. I guess every now and then those class action suits have a meaningful result, but I can't remember whether I actually filed a claim or not. Probably not, since I have never had that problem with my iPhones.

Huh, I apparently got mine too.

Second largest class action payout I've ever had (I got five figures from that "anti-poaching" settlement against Apple, Google, and Adobe back almost 10 years ago).

Generally, most class actions seem bogus, though some aren't. Regardless, if they want to send me money I'll accept it.

I know it's been a while but as anybody experienced this slowdown of your iPhone from Apple throttling it?

I understand this slowdown affected iPhone 6 and earlier models.

Back
Top Bottom