Yet another applying for SS post

Question: I applied today at almost 67 (in a few days) only because my wife will get spousal benefit, otherwise I would have waited for max benefit at 70. Should she apply for spousal benefit now or wait for mine to get approved?

Wait until yours is approved. If they receive hers and review it prior to you being approved, she will be denied and then you have to start the process over.

Wait until yours is approved. If they receive hers and review it prior to you being approved, she will be denied and then you have to start the process over.

Thank you so much! That is what I told her. I wish I would have known to apply earlier. Thanks to these forums I was able to learn that I should apply earlier than 70 since she gets zero as she only has spousal benefit and is less than a year younger than me. Her waiting time would have been a lot of lost benefit net net of waiting.

This wasn't worthy of a separate thread, so I'll ask here. I just submitted an application for SS. The application itself didn't mention optional withholding for Federal taxes. My question is about when to set up optional withholding. Will they ask me if I want withholding at some point as the application is approved? Do I need to wait until after the application is approved to do anything or can I make a request earlier?
Thanks.

I waited until I got my approval notification and then mailed the W4-V to my local SS office. Withholding took effect on the very first payment. I'm sure there are many other methods but this worked for me and was simple.

I waited until I got my approval notification and then mailed the W4-V to my local SS office. Withholding took effect on the very first payment. I'm sure there are many other methods but this worked for me and was simple.

Thanks. I think I will do the same as you did.

Back
Top Bottom