Applying for UK State Pension from the USA. - Has Anyone Done it?

Thanks.

Funny they do not allow one to see their own actual number on line like the US SS web site.

With my online account it always told me what my actual number would be each time I looked. (it went up each year with COLA plus by virtue of the voluntary contributions I was making). I didn't delay claiming so don't know if it would have told me what my new number was or whether it would have continued to show me my number had I applied earlier at my FRA, but I expect it would have continued to show my actual number. You couldn't play with a calculator like the SS site and put in various ages, that is definitely a nice feature. The UK OAP is a very simple calculation as you know, everyone gets the same amount based on 35 years of credits and it is a straight line calculation, no bend points. If you have 10 years of credits you get 10/35ths of the maximum.

Does your online account only show your benefits at your retirement age 2 years ago and not at your current age? Now you know the formula you can calculate what you should be getting once your application is approved.

The retirement age varies depending on when you were born up to a maximum of 67. Being born in 1955 my wife and I were eligible to receive our pensions at 66. I applied earlier this year and am receiving mine, my wife has applied for hers and should start receiving it at the end of November.

Last edited:
Does your online account only show your benefits at your retirement age 2 years ago and not at your current age? .

No not anymore. I emailed them and all they say is that it does not show any numbers after retirement age. It will be calculated when one applies.

My mother had a small UK pension, she worked for BOAC (British Airways) before hoping the pond. They put a few pounds in her account with direct deposit.

Back
Top Bottom