Are 35mm camera's becoming a thing of the past

today the digital processing is as much a part of photography as the taking pictures part. the added benefits are huge especially if shooting in raw. i can just about re-shoot the entire picture from my computer after the fact.

in fact i havent been active on this forum the last month or so as every moment i have been cramming and learning more and more about my new camera and the processing afterwards. no more film for me!

mathjak107 said:
today the digital processing is as much a part of photography as the taking pictures part. the added benefits are huge especially if shooting in raw. i can just about re-shoot the entire picture from my computer after the fact.

IMO this is a real boon to professional liars photographers, but a loss to reality.

Ha

Cute Fuzzy Bunny said:
The wife was nervous that all of our baby photos were only on two laptops and two external backup units...

The beauty of digital storage of photos is - burn the images to a DVDs (as files). Give one set of copies to a friend or put it in the safe deposit box. If disaster strikes, you can always print them at costco again from the files.

Unless by 'external backup units' you are saying they are off-site. That would be good.

-ERD50

You havent seen the studies on the shelf life of home-burned data storage cd's and dvd's.

Really good media might last 10-20 years. Most of it might be unreadable in 5.

And you should see what a 2 year old does with them when he comes across them.

We've got an external disk drive in a box in the closet at my dads house. I update it with our pictures, videos and important documents a couple of times a year. My in-laws also have a copy of the videos and photos on their computer.

Since we're mirrored raid, with two laptop copies, the server is backed up to one external drive and the laptops backed up to another, with two offsite backups in different parts of the state...I think I can breathe easy... :LOL:

Really impressed with the power draw on the new desktops. This 965 based dual core dual drive raid machine draws about 75 watts when running and 2 watts when in fast-wake suspend mode. Beats the crap out of the 250 watts my old pentium 4 desktop used. Heck, I'll practically pay for the server in reduced electric costs over its lifetime.

Nords said:
Is she going to take care of the configuration, maintenance, & backups?

Because speaking as a married veteran, I have a very bad feeling about this...
If I can talk her into it. She does this as part of her current job.

Cute Fuzzy Bunny said:
Heck, I'll practically pay for the server in reduced electric costs over its lifetime.
As I recall, last time someone used that logic on you it ended up parking a Lexus in your driveway...

Cute Fuzzy Bunny said:
You havent seen the studies on the shelf life of home-burned data storage cd's and dvd's.

Really good media might last 10-20 years. Most of it might be unreadable in 5.

Yes, I need to go back and check some of my older discs. Copying to new media every five years is probably a good idea. After a few cycles of that, better technology will be available.

Buying or using a free off-site storage is probably more practical.

-ERD50

Nords said:
As I recall, last time someone used that logic on you it ended up parking a Lexus in your driveway...

And the logic is working fine. As of right now its a year old and has about 2800 miles on it. As should be apparent, it'll have under 50k miles on it when Gabe gets his drivers license and he can put the next 50-100k on it.

Worst case, what do you think a 7 year old LS430 with 25,000 miles on it is worth?

It sure isnt an investment but its not as bad a money loser as it looks. If she wanted a humvee or some crappy high depreciation vehicle...probably wouldnt have gone for it.

ERD50 said:
Yes, I need to go back and check some of my older discs. Copying to new media every five years is probably a good idea. After a few cycles of that, better technology will be available.

Using them for video and music isnt as much of a problem...bad spots are more or less run by. But for data, one bad sector in the wrong spot could ruin your whole day.

Thing is, the newer media are being slapped out with lower quality than the old stuff. I still keep some old 4x cd-r's and some nearly original dvd+r's around for the important stuff. The manufacturers were so nervous about the weird range of half-spec and 95% spec recorders that the quality stuff was of pretty dang decent quality.

I copy all my data to punch cards.

Attachments

• PunchCards.jpg
    PunchCards.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 4
  • PunchCards.jpg_thumb
    27.8 KB · Views: 0
Super. How many hanging chads have you got?

Come on. Theres room for at least 4 quips, jokes or offhand remarks available...

Frame of reference... I have a Canon Digital Rebel XT, 8mp. I enlarged a couple of photos from my holiday travels to SD to 11x14. These were full-res, jpg format, and they look purdy damn good to me!! But I wear bifocals... :p

Next trip to a scenic locale, I'm trying RAW format.

TromboneAl said:
I copy all my data to punch cards.
I remember when Monterey's Naval Postgraduate School threatened to take out the computer center's card reader in 1986.

Professor Hamming (yeah, that guy with the codes) was still teaching at the time. He and his punch-card pioneer peers led a mutiny that would've done Bligh proud.

The problem was that no one was around (certainly not employed or retired and perhaps not even alive) to keep it working, let alone find parts. So the admiral had to get involved and over the next two years those guys were dragged kicking & screaming from FORTRAN decks to diskettes. Eventually the card reader was shipped to the Computing Museum.

I know how they feel. I'm still trying to give away a color printer with a parallel-port cable...

Nords said:
I remember when Monterey's Naval Postgraduate School threatened to take out the computer center's card reader in 1986.

Professor Hamming (yeah, that guy with the codes) was still teaching at the time. He and his punch-card pioneer peers led a mutiny that would've done Bligh proud.

The problem was that no one was around (certainly not employed or retired and perhaps not even alive) to keep it working, let alone find parts. So the admiral had to get involved and over the next two years those guys were dragged kicking & screaming from FORTRAN decks to diskettes. Eventually the card reader was shipped to the Computing Museum.

I know how they feel. I'm still trying to give away a color printer with a parallel-port cable...

I remember back in '85 or so when it was announced that the card punchers and readers would go away. There was much wailing and moaning (not by me).

HFWR said:
Frame of reference... I have a Canon Digital Rebel XT, 8mp. I enlarged a couple of photos from my holiday travels to SD to 11x14. These were full-res, jpg format, and they look purdy damn good to me!! But I wear bifocals... :p

Next trip to a scenic locale, I'm trying RAW format.

i started shooting raw but to be honest its more a fad than really a big improvement. the files are huge, its extra manipulation and most of the benefits can really be duplicated in jpg editing.

as they say " learn to shoot the picture right the first time"

im still learning so i will probley give raw another month or so buts its hardly worth the extra editing and file sizes.

mathjak107 said:
i started shooting raw but to be honest its more a fad than really a big improvement. the files are huge, its extra manipulation and most of the benefits can really be duplicated in jpg editing.

as they say " learn to shoot the picture right the first time"

im still learning so i will probley give raw another month or so buts its hardly worth the extra editing and file sizes.

Give this a try: set up on a tripod and take a scene in RAW and then again in best Q. Load both into a photo editor and blow them up on your monitor until you can see individual pixels. Compare sections side by side.

I did this with some scanned artwork, comparing the 'original' with a high Q jpg generated by the computer (~ 1/4 the file size IIRC?). I had trouble finding even a few slight differences in the shading of a few pixels. The jpg was very good. I don't know if a camera can do as good a job at it - try it and see.

-ERD50

Back
Top Bottom