Are Full Oil Changes Gone Forever?

Diesel engines (assume that's a diesel) are dirty and oil (back in those days) was pretty bad/crude.

No, it is a gas engine. But this is for the air cleaner, not the engine. Engine oil is changed every 120 hrs.

No, it is a gas engine. But this is for the air cleaner, not the engine. Engine oil is changed every 120 hrs.

Right, assuming its in dusty conditions, the oil just help trap the dust from the air so it doesn't get into the engine. That oil/filter get dirty fast working all day pulling a harrow or something through a dusty field.

The farmer driving the tractor, in those days, he's on his own! Maybe a bandana?

-ERD50

I see now... Just watched the video... It sure sounds like a diesel but in any case, it looks like a fun project. (Note, I see a can or two of WD40 - Good stuff but you may need a few more cans of that stuff.:)

Last edited:
IT WAS ESTABLISHED A WHILE AGO THE OP WAS MISTAKEN.

Never made sense to begin with. How exactly would you change the oil filter without changing the oil since removing the filter drains a lot of the oil for most cars...put the old dirty oil back in again?

Why are you yelling? I responded directly to a poster asking a specific question (they missed the correction). I cant recall ever having a car that held much oil above the level of the filter but I generally agree changing filters and not the oil seems odd.

According to the car care nut on the internet if you want to drive your car 250,000+ miles change the oil every 5000 miles. He claims that the 10K oil change is a marketing decision. The marketing team asked the engineers how many oils changes would it take to offer a 100K engine warranty that they would rarely have to pay out on. The answer was 10 changes, one every 10K miles. Less than that and the chances of paying for warranty repair work starts to go up fast. I have no idea if this is true. But, it’s a great story.

I change oil in my hybrid every 5k miles because I do mostly cold start, stop-n-go driving on the average day. Mixed in every 3 to 4 months are road trips where the car does 300+ miles in a day. The 0W-16 oil used by the car is only a little thicker than water. That’s a psychological factor for me.

One other thing he also warns against using the more common and somewhat cheaper 0W-20 oil unless it’s an emergency. He claims that the oil passageways are designed for the thinner 0W-16 oil and the thicker oil will not provide the same level of lubrication safety. Again, I have no idea if this is true, but it sounds like it might be.

Oh, all oil changes include a filter change. I remember having a VW that’s did not have an oil filter, just a screen to remove big stuff in the oil. I also remember a car that recommended changing the filter every other oil change. That never made a lot of sense to me.

https://youtu.be/xdNCnYHhEm8?si=XvBUQvEbYb34wwYl

https://youtu.be/TevK-u3vkx4?si=wm1oxKMMGGPpTW78

my first car was a 1957 Chevy 210 that had no oil filter. Bought it with 29,000 miles in 1968. It needed new rocker arms at about 35,000. What was Chevrolet thinking?

At one time I always changed my oil and filter every 5k miles. Now, I still change the oil at 5k but I only change the filter at 10k intervals.

And I shower every day, but put on the same underwear after the shower.

And I shower every day, but put on the same underwear after the shower.
As you like...That's not for me. :)

From my POV, quality oil filters that are made today are good for 10k miles at least. Also, most filters today actually hold less than a qt of oil. There's probably that much left in the nooks and crannies of an engine even when you change the oil and filter so you never get it all out. Works for me anyway.

Last edited:
In my college physics class, my professor was a car guy. He lamented the fact that you could have synthetic oil last a really long time (perhaps 50K miles) IF the manufacturer would install a high efficiency oil filter.

I wonder what is meant by a high efficiency oil filter. Filter media that captures more gunk is generally more restrictive to flow. What we did for our hydraulic systems was add a pressure differential switch. As the filter fills with debris, the pressure drop across the filter increases.
If you want to really have a debate, let’s discuss whether to utilize an oil filter bypass.

Made it an option? Suck more money even though they knew better?

These work a bit differently than I first thought. I thought the oil just was to keep the filter media extra sticky, but this link tells more:

Oil Bath Air Cleaners For Tractors | Vintage Tractor Engineer

The air actually has to bubble up through the oil, which then goes through a filter media, and the breaking bubbles drip back down into the cup. The path of the bubble tends to make dust get thrown against the inside wall of the bubble, rather than just floating around inside it.

Oil bath air cleaners have been largely replaced by dry paper filters in most modern tractors, as the oil makes servicing both messy and inconvenient due to the frequency of cleaning required. Oil bath filters are, however, very efficient at capturing dirt and can sequest a large amount of dirt relative to their size, without loss of efficiency. They are probably more efficient at providing clean air to your engine than modern paper filters.

Interesting (to me at least!).

-ERD50

Since we are talking tractor fluids, here is 45 seconds of draining the transmission fluid. It took over an hour for it to drain. I'm guessing it is 74 years old but I don't know.

Haven't changed my oil since retiring in 2020. Not driving much. Just mainly groceries,small errands,and annual CPA visit,doctor/ophthalmologist, and dentist every six months.
Filling tank once or twice a year.
Probably have oil changed next month. I guess my situation is perfect for an EV. One full charge will last months.

Filling tank once or twice a year. I guess my situation is perfect for an EV. One full charge will last months.

I would say your situation is perfect for calling an Uber unless you like paying $6,500 for each tank of gas. You could probably have a limo pull up to the house to take you to the grocery store each time. Would still be cheaper than buying a new EV.

Last edited:
Since we are talking tractor fluids, here is 45 seconds of draining the transmission fluid. It took over an hour for it to drain. I'm guessing it is 74 years old but I don't know.

That video's going viral, I guarantee!

Unless it gets blocked for Tiny Dancer playing (barely audible) in the background. :)

-ERD50

Haven't changed my oil since retiring in 2020. Not driving much. Just mainly groceries,small errands,and annual CPA visit,doctor/ophthalmologist, and dentist every six months.
Filling tank once or twice a year.
Probably have oil changed next month. I guess my situation is perfect for an EV. One full charge will last months.

The EV batteries seem to deteriorate with age even if the miles are low. I think you should just keep the ICE car, but that's just me

I'm glad you told us it was transmission fluid, as it looks like something else :eek:

And it really needed a change :LOL:

The EV batteries seem to deteriorate with age even if the miles are low. I think you should just keep the ICE car, but that's just me

Well, sure, but ... not much. And, comparing "complete replacement" of EV batteries vs "complete replacement" of ICE is difficult, and perhaps even irrelevant. Lots of discussion, but not a lot of data, but apparently this is no more of a big deal on EVs as it was on the Prius when the doomsday crowd opined on the battery life.

https://www.caranddriver.com/research/a31875141/electric-car-battery-life/

https://www.pcmag.com/news/ev-batteries-101-degradation-lifespan-warranties-and-more

https://insideevs.com/features/539278/electric-car-ev-degradation-battery/

I would say your situation is perfect for calling an Uber unless you like paying $6,500 for each tank of gas. You could probably have a limo pull up to the house to take you to the grocery store each time. Would still be cheaper than buying a new EV.

Been buying used cars with cash since I was 18. Completely debt free. Have the cash.This will be my 5th car.

I have flown free for life over 30 years. Flying first class to Brazil,BVIs,Japan,and Switzerland so far this year only cost around $200 in taxes and fees. Traveling to 65 countries since the 80s I must have saved several hundred thousand in tickets.

Garage is temperature controlled. Charging frequency minimized so should be pretty good.

Might treat myself to something without gas and more comfortable than a golf cart this time.

I have flown free for life over 30 years. Flying first class to Brazil,BVIs,Japan,and Switzerland so far this year only cost around $200 in taxes and fees. Traveling to 65 countries since the 80s I must have saved several hundred thousand in tickets.

Retired airline pilot? Or, another secret you can share?

I am 79 and am driving my final car (2019 Camry). Toyota recommends annual synthetic oil change. My last annual oil change service was for about 2000 miles.

I am thinking about extending that to every other year if all we drive is 2K annually.

Does that seem rad?

I am 79 and am driving my final car (2019 Camry). Toyota recommends annual synthetic oil change

If it were me, I'd never change it again. Probably won't hurt a thing and would be a good story to tell everyone...

Last edited:
I only use synthetic oil, but I will never reach that 15,000 now that I'm retired.

I make sure to change oil every year.
With 2 cars, I only get 2,500- 3,000 miles every year for each car.

Good luck with that 15,000 miles

Well, sure, but ... not much. And, comparing "complete replacement" of EV batteries vs "complete replacement" of ICE is difficult, and perhaps even irrelevant. Lots of discussion, but not a lot of data, but apparently this is no more of a big deal on EVs as it was on the Prius when the doomsday crowd opined on the battery life.

https://www.caranddriver.com/research/a31875141/electric-car-battery-life/

https://www.pcmag.com/news/ev-batteries-101-degradation-lifespan-warranties-and-more

https://insideevs.com/features/539278/electric-car-ev-degradation-battery/

Yeah your third link makes my point
Unlike mileage, time typically takes the worst toll on batteries.

Gonz is driving so little that his ICE car could last decades

Retired airline pilot? Or, another secret you can share?

Air Force Space A for eight years.
ANG and two years Air Force contract work.

American Airlines
I began working at American Airlines for flight benefits.(vested)
ZED
ITA Airways staff - girlfriend flight benefits.
We mix and match our benefits.

Back
Top Bottom