Are You A Grinch Or A Griswold?

I'm a 5 and a 3.

Got a nice 9' prelit fake several years ago (remember the Home Depot Expo fancy store?). Had gotten so tired of wrestling lights off the real tree after christmas each year, to then find most no longer work the next... and the pine needle droppings... not to mention those years when it looked like a fresh cut tree was not gonna stay green thru the day.

No shame in a nice #3!

My card list, however, gets shorter each year. Just seems a bit archaic.

We use to do a lot but now it's just a wreath on the door. Husband was main lighting expert inside and out but he's still sick. Hoping we're back in decorating mode next year.

A No.1 here, bah humbug. I look at Christmas as pretty much for the grandkids and we do spoil them.

Put me down for a 6. Four children and although they are getting rather large now, they all love the season and to come 'home' which at Christmas time means decorations. Have real tree with the same kind of lights that my dad put on in the 60s (GE Lighted Ice) but outside it is a red and green LED extravaganza with full size, floodlit Mary and Joseph and baby Jesus. Last two nights we have had groups of students over for open houses. Even have some snow on the ground this year which has become uncommon in recent years.

1 for me. Have been this way for 15 years or more.

We do celebrate with food and drink. My two brothers live in town, and we take turns hosting Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Year parties. Of course, our adult children are also included. This year, I do the New Year day.

If we are going to be away, we don't drag out the decorations. If we will be here even just for Christmas Eve, we get a real tree two weeks before and toss it with tinsel, lights, and corny old ornaments, put a few little white lights on the front porch and some real evergreen garlands on the railings or over the stairs, put a wreath up, hang stockings over the fireplace and pin up the mistletoe for a little bonus smooching. These are all things DH likes to do.

In reality, Christmas makes me sad in general, and I much prefer being away, overseas, where it's a sweet religious holy day and not the commercial nightmare we are surrounded with starting November 1. It's not really "bah humbug" but a bittersweet feeling that is a little heavy on the bitter.

If you have bitter, don't be sad. Make an Old-Fashioned with that bitter.

bourbon-old-fashioned.jpg

Back
Top Bottom