Are you retired?

Yes.

53. 1 year ago.

I got to the point of FI and when the buckets became full, I called it a day.

Yes

Became FI at age 47 and started researching RE.
Made a detailed exit plan at age 51, targeting age 55.

Last edited:
Update Average Age

I m not retired

I like to pull the trigger when I m 53

============

Update

Average Retired Age in This Forum= 52

Average Want to retire Age in this Forum= 50.1

Yes
When I was still a teenager, I observed that the "normal" retirement age was 65, and I set myself a goal of beating that by ten years. Luckily, I made it happen.

Are you retired? Yes - in 2014

How old are you when you retire? 58

When do you want to retire? I wanted to retire at 57 but had OMY syndrome

Not yet

57(ish), DW 56(ish)

Wanted to be 51/50, but DW career move, resulting real estate losses, and increased margins of safety that raised "target $$" by 25% ...

Retired? Not yet. Soon. This year age? 45
Original goal: 40 but the math didn't work due to financial crisis

Not yet

Hopefully this year at 56

Started about 50, but really accelerated when I met my DW and remarried three years ago.

Not yet

55 (this is a sure thing...I am 55 and will retire in June for sure but there appears to be a possible layoff/severance package that I might be able to take advantage of :D)

I think about 30 I started thinking about it and got real serious about 35 but life caused some slowdowns though I am going to retire with far more $$ than I had originally thought I would ever have so retirement should be comfortable (it needs to be since DW wants it that way)

Are you retired? Yes! :D

How old are you when you retire? 61
When do you want to retire? 51? But like you, could not afford it until later.

I like to calculate the average age of the people here FIREed. It's a long dream of my but never have enough guts or money to pull the trigger.

enuff

Good luck in reaching your dream!

Last edited:
Are you retired? Yes

How old are you when you retire? 54

When do you want to retire? 55

I made it a year ahead of schedule. :dance:

Are you retired? Yes

How old are you when you retire? 63

When do you want to retire? 59

Our plans were for me to retire around 66. The late DW was 10.5 years younger that I and had some goals she hoped to reach before RE. When she died suddenly I was 59 and set a goal of retirement at 63 when DS should have finished college. I retired then, but DS still hasn't graduated. :(

It's complicated.

I retired from my career job at 53.

Decided to get a part-time job 4 years later in order to finish getting my social security quarters. I will have my 40 quarters in May or June this year.

I will be re-retiring this year by the end of July for sure. I will be 62 by then. No more silly goals for me.

I had always planned to retire at 55.

Retired - Yes

Age - 58

Started seriously thinking about retirement in my mid-40's when I realized I could no longer lift/move/transfer 400+ pound patients (more common than you think!). Grew weary of working graveyard shifts, swing shifts, every holiday, every weekend...just the physical nature of hospital nursing had started to take its toll. Took another 10 years of saving, plus we sold an investment property which sealed the deal.

Are you retired? Yes

How old are you when you retire? 57

When do you want to retire? planned for age 60, benefit plan changes at Megacorp required ER decision to be made, no regrets.

Retired 2 years ago at 56.

Reached FI at 55 but DW wanted more of a cushion. I ended up retiring at 56 due to some health issues and DW is joining me this year.

Are you retired? Yes.

How old are you when you retire? 52. I could have retired at 48 but I was enjoying the work so stayed on. That made the retirement benefits a lot better anyway. Later I stumbled into an easy low-stress job and did that for five years, but when things went south I quit.

When do you want to retire? At this point I am Retired with a capital "R".

Retired? No.
When do I want to retire? At 58 I'm not ready yet. I like my job, it pays well, and it is virtually stress-free. If these things continue I expect to work until full SS age--or until the next company buy-out (which tends to come along every 6 years or so). I am, however, slowly realizing that I am FI now and could retire. I need to work on embracing that mindset. After so many years of careful saving I'm one of those who will have a very difficult time spending. . . or at least withdrawing from savings. Sad, I know.

Retired? No.
When do I want to retire? At 58 I'm not ready yet. I like my job, it pays well, and it is virtually stress-free. If these things continue I expect to work until full SS age--or until the next company buy-out (which tends to come along every 6 years or so). I am, however, slowly realizing that I am FI now and could retire. I need to work on embracing that mindset. After so many years of careful saving I'm one of those who will have a very difficult time spending. . . or at least withdrawing from savings. Sad, I know.
No apologies needed here. We love to see people paying into Social Security, Medicare and paying taxes that provide healthcare subsidies.

Are you retired?

How old are you when you retire?

When do you want to retire?

I like to calculate the average age of the people here FIREed. It's a long dream of my but never have enough guts or money to pull the trigger.

enuff

No

Hopefully 52 (this year)

I wanted to retire at 20, work is totally overrated!

Back
Top Bottom