At what age did you retire or plan to retire?

At what age did you or will you retire?

• Age 49 or younger

Votes: 61 13.4%
  • Age 50-54

Votes: 109 24.0%
  • Age 55-59

Votes: 163 35.8%
  • Age 60-62

Votes: 79 17.4%
  • Age 63-65

Votes: 28 6.2%
  • Age 66-69

Votes: 7 1.5%
  • Age 70 or older

Votes: 8 1.8%

• Total voters
I intended to retire at 55 which would have been 2010. That goal was set at year 2000. Then 2008 market happened. I left the BIG job in 2011 to work part time and earn just enough to not have to touch the diminished retirement portfolio. Did that until Dec 2015 and retired then. I was 60.5 years old. But it didn't last more than 6 months.
I got talked into working part-time for a respected non-profit. I'm still doing that. So I can't claim to rightfully post on this thread. I waffle about quitting for good. Friends and family do not believe I'll go cold turkey and they may be right. I get satisfaction using my skills for meaningful work and getting paid for it.

I did it at 55. I work for beer now. :)

I run a brew lab and do qc for a friend's local brewery. Right now a hiatus as we build a new one.

I did it at 55. I work for beer now. :)

I run a brew lab and do qc for a friend's local brewery. Right now a hiatus as we build a new one.

Do you work from home?:D

Disabled due to injury 60yr 9mo old. Make ample to support lifestyle from SS and pension. Leave investments to fa. Haven't seen a need to withdraw from portfolio. Don't miss work at all.

I voted in the poll but shouldn't have, I guess. I left the daily grind at 59 but immediately was recruited to do a little writing/editing gig for a magazine. I work about 4 hours a month and get paid $200. Occasionally I get an extra assignment at about the same rate. It's more for amusement and mental exercise than money, but why would I turn down the paycheck?

I voted in the poll but shouldn't have, I guess. I left the daily grind at 59 but immediately was recruited to do a little writing/editing gig for a magazine. I work about 4 hours a month and get paid $200. Occasionally I get an extra assignment at about the same rate. It's more for amusement and mental exercise than money, but why would I turn down the paycheck?

Retirement police will show up any moment now to denounce your pretenses and rip the insignias from your virtual retirement uniform (old stained t-shirt).

Retirement police will show up any moment now to denounce your pretenses and rip the insignias from your virtual retirement uniform (old stained t-shirt).

At least he's not expecting the Spanish Inquisition...

This survey really surprised me. I'm 69, and semi-retired lawyer, but I'm not "retired" based on the definition of this survey, nor are most of the lawyers I know. Based on my peers, I feel guilty at having "semi-retired" at 65. One lawyer in our firm practiced well into his early '80s.

I know a lawyer who was just laid off from his firm at the end of May - he's 73 years old, and he was furious. He's already found a job with a new firm. "Old lawyers never lose their appeal."

MegaCorp made the decision to retire everyone 55 and older when they overreacted to the crash of 2008. And they paid dearly for that bad decision.

But it was a great decision for all the experienced employees. None ever worked again.

This survey really surprised me. I'm 69, and semi-retired lawyer, but I'm not "retired" based on the definition of this survey, nor are most of the lawyers I know. Based on my peers, I feel guilty at having "semi-retired" at 65. One lawyer in our firm practiced well into his early '80s.

I know a lawyer who was just laid off from his firm at the end of May - he's 73 years old, and he was furious. He's already found a job with a new firm. "Old lawyers never lose their appeal."

I think as a general point, with the lawyer as well as the doctor professions, there appears to be a higher percentage of professionals who work into their 60's and 70's.
No lawyer jokes from me.:D

I answered 70+ as that is the same as NEVER, according to OP's definition.

Due to rental properties and being too cheap to pay someone 10% to manage it, plus save a lot doing simple repairs myself.

Also a company calls me a couple of times a year to fix their system when they screw it up. So far this year it's been worth less than 1 day of work.

...Picked 55 to be eligible for retiree medical and Rule of 55. The extra 2 days got me another month of company health insurance.
In March of this year, I was going for 54 (this year), but while I was on vacation, the COVID crash happened, and I lost 30% (now down to 4.5%) and the ability to travel for a while. So, back to w#rk. I'm currently debating RE in September or October, or waiting until early January so that I qualify for Rule of 55 distributions (which I don't need) and the 401(k) match. If I still can't fly internationally in September, I may limp a long a few months longer, or not. Part of my dilemma is wanting the documented income for a short-term home loan for a new place (which we'd pay off after the current place sells). My body's still sitting in my home office, but my mind left 4 years ago. Right now, the countdown timer says 69 days, or September 11 (to get one last holiday), but my wife doesn't want me to resign on THAT date. It would be easy to remember!

Last edited:
53 although gave notice at 52 but they moved so slowly to find a replacement. Took 3 months to sell the house, pack up and move to Uruguay..., one of the best decisions of my life!

55 Left in March right before COVID. We waited for our daughter to be a freshman in college and then to pick up our annual bonuses in March.

Yeah, In voted before I read the “rules”. I don’t know many engineers that stop doing stuff snd get compensated for it. So change my answer from 61 to 70+. Just yesterday, the neighbors behind us switched to Comcast from Fios and the installer only goes up to the modem due to Covid. They gave me (us) a $100 gift card for me to have fun installing the gear. I enjoy tinkering.

I have been fortunate to have retired several times. First, I retired from teaching in 2005 at the age of 54. Then started working part-time as the managing editor for a publishing company. Retired from that in 2020 at the age of 69. Now I'm working for a non-profit and plan on working there until age 75 or so. Perhaps longer. I enjoy working in jobs I love and hope to be able to do so as long as my health permits. Work is just a part of my life. I do it simply to keep active and learn from interesting people. For me I don't have to work, I get to work.

Federal employee with 24 years, lots more as contractor. we get extra 10% on pension when we turn 62, retired day after......

Kamei I get that.

As far as collecting a paycheck, my plan is 62 and 4 months. I may work part time to assist the company and avail myself of the company resources, up to 63.
After that point any work I do will no longer add to either my pension or medical coverage, and I will go cold turkey.
As far as fun working, I see no proper end to that. If I develop the real estate myself, that would be work as defined in the OP.
If I built a boat or two for fun and then sell them, I suspect that would also trip the work alarm as defined.
What I see as retired is when nobody else can set my schedule and I can go and do what I please, when I please.

I wanted to retire at 55/57

I planned to retire at 62.

I wanted a package. It came at at 58/59. Well worth waiting for.

My DW original plan for me was 70 and mine was 67. She then dropped it to 67 then 65. A few years ago when we saw we were close to our number we thought 62 would be ok, but we would evaluate each year. This year I was offered an early retirement package and we said let’s go. I was 60 and it was a perfect decision.

Back
Top Bottom