Athlete?

Ran track and cross country in high school. I was pushed into it as a freshman by the coaching staff, basically told to show up for practice on day one. So I did. I was actually a very fast distance runner, best time in the mile somewhere just over 4 1/2 minutes. But man I hated it. I ran for three years, then came to my senses and switched to tennis. I was pretty good and played div II college tennis. I still compete in tournament level stuff in Florida, a hotbed of senior tennis. I am eligible for the 60's age group this year. My feet are wearing out but overall the body still functions pretty good on the court.

Noteable athletic pursuits:

1. Little league - 3 rd baseman

2. High school - 3 rd baseman

3. College - starting pitcher

4. 30 - 45 yrs old - long distance running - non competitive venture

5. 40 -46 yrs old - Organized city league softball - pitcher

6 Golfer - age 16 to 65 - one Hole in One.

7. Current - casual walker, new hip 7 years ago, gave up golf (good riddance).

Last edited:
Dabbled in all sports, broke the low score school record in golf. Ran a half and mini tri but no much else other than hiking. I've been climbing the highest point of each state recently so have trained a bit for the big hikes like mt. Elbert, guadalupe/el cap, mt. Marcy, etc. Hoping to do California next year.

I wrestled and boxed in my younger years. My ambition exceeded my abilities.
Since I retired I walk about an hour a day, row an old 14' aluminum boat, lift weights 3x a week, and do yard work at two homes. No real abilities required but I feel much better.

Three time state racquetball doubles champion. But that was 25 years and 50 pounds ago. Tried taking up outdoor racquetball last January and my two big toe nails still haven't healed yet. Turns out stopping that extra 50 pounds it hard on one's feet.

In my 20s and 30s I played a lot of Platform Tennis. My toenails are still messed up, especially my right foot. Especially my big toe. My wife says my toenails are gross. I know she doesn't mean it.

Athletically, I am generally a jack of all trades and master of none.

I played a lot of pickup/neighborhood baseball, basketball, flag/tag/tackle football, etc. In my youth I was quick, but short and light. I can hardly believe that as a teenager I went through a period where I drank 2-3 chocolate frappes a day in a futile effort to gain weight.

Also, played tennis as teenager. I did attend spring tryouts for football as a receiver... I was quick and could run decent routes but was way too small. Dabbled in track (running). We lived on a lake and waterskied at least twice a day.

I did play soccer my sophomore year of high school for one year but for the most part was practice squad and played in games only where we were hopelessly behind (I think we won one game that year). Interestingly, two of my future BILs were on that soccer team.... my sister's DH was our left wing (good foot) and DW's brother was our goaltender. Also played a bit of soccer in my early 30s. Even spent some time on our HS rifle team (they were pretty good too).

My biggest "athletic" success as a teen was Sunfish sailboat racing but that was mostly against adults. I remember that my Dad bought a used Sunfish in the morning and I raced in the afternoon... we flipped around each mark that day. But I learned and studied and within a year or so I was consistently in the hunt on any given race and for the season championship and won it a couple years. They re-invigorated it and I have been second two consecutive years.... planning to win in 2018!

I took up ice skating while dating a girl who skated... my borrowed skates were about 3 sizes too big and our town was a bit of a hockey town so I had these pesky little 3-4 year olds going by me backwards when I was first learning. I did later play some pick-up hockey and intermural hockey in college. Also, a little floor hockey.

Ran some in my mid-to-late 20s but never really got into it. Also, went through a decade where I played a fair amount of competitive volleyball.

I took up golf in college... played occasionally, then in some work leagues and have played a lot more since I retired.

Recently started playing pickleball and love it... fits well with my tennis and racquetball experience... seems like the fun of doubles tennis with 1/2 the effort.

Also snow skied since I was about 6.... last year was the first year since I was 6 that I didn't ski at least once. Pretty decent recreational skier.... DW taught for a couple years and that common interest was a big reason that we got together.

Last edited:
Knees are telling me it's almost time to spend more time drinking in the lodge girl watching.

Girl watching is an honorable sport but one must keep it honorable.

However, wrestling with DW is a better sport; I win even if I win, lose, place or show! She hasn't complained either way in 36 years!:dance:

High school - Football and track, Football position - end of bench

Now at age 71 I will be doing my 10th half-marathon in Jan. After three shoulder replacement surgeries I can only manage a fast walk.

Recently started playing pickleball and love it... fits well with my tennis and racquetball experience... seems like the fun of doubles tennis with 1/2 the effort.

Pickle ball looks very interesting. I’ve seen it and been wanting to try it. Probably a good game for us aging athletes. Glad to see some confirmation that it’s not just easy but also fun.

From 13 I worked after school or weekends. I lied about my age because I was too young. I was also a year younger in school so being the little kid took me out of being the athlete. After getting out on my own, I had money and started martial arts, cross country skiing, and touring bicycling. A century was my longest ride, but just enjoyed it. Stayed with MA for 30 years.

Got hit by a natural disaster in 2008, quit everything to concentrate on fixing a family members house and my home, then moved and just finished most of the renovations on our new house. In 9 years, I backslid on fitness and recently started walking. Eight miles every second day. I'm going to cut back distance and am starting a 'C to 25k' plan. We inherited an old jogging machine and it's getting a workout on rain days.

I just have fun with things and love the outdoors, except rain. Hiking and kayaking are always fun.

Last edited:
As a kid was thrilled to be on local AAU swim team from about summer before 5th grade through high school. Nothing remarkable about my abilities or performance but I gave it my best and it was a great workout. Decades later I returned to the sport via Masters Club workout in the morning before work for a few years. Good stuff. But alas, shoulder (rotator cuff said “give it up”).
During late 70’s like a bunch of others kind of picked up the running bug, and stumbled along. Nice thing about running in early morning is it’s dark and no one can see how slow you are going. Picked up a Consumer Guide paperback “How to run a marathon” and that was my inspiration for about 2 decades. Got to love the road running community and their concept of personal best and acceptance of non-elite participants in the back of the pack. In 1993, in the rain and cold I finished my one and only marathon. Goal accomplished. It was not the performance I planned on, but goal accomplished! Years later, wife said I looked like hell when I came home afterwards.
I believe in the value of staying active and moving. I loved my Nordic track in the basement and pretty much wore it out, and me and the boys (now adults) got our money’s worth from the weights in the basement that I still visit for (more modest now) resistance training.
I have had to accept body parts wearing out and adapt accordingly. Now a days it’s an hour walk in the morning before work, and some light weight lifting at times during the week.
Never really much excelled as “athlete” but I endeavor to keep moving. Athlete? Probably not, but love those long walks with DW, especially when we pilgrimage to a sandy beach by ocean somewhere.

In HS I lettered in basketball, volleyball, softball, soccer, and track & field. Made All-League a few times in b-ball and v-ball. I played college basketball for two years until knee surgery and a packed schedule of STEM classes contributed to my waning interest.

I kept active in the gym and started playing racquetball and refereeing basketball. Had success in ‘A’ division r-ball tournaments but could never hang with the ‘Open’ level players. Had a full schedule as a HS varsity referee.

I quit all that when our girls started playing organizer sports. For close to twenty years my athletic endeavors took a back seat to theirs (wouldn’t trade those memories for the world). Then at age 47 I found myself unfit and overly pudgy (ok, let’s just say fat). I started running, slowly. I lost close to twenty pounds. I never got fast but I waddled through two HM’s and numerous shorter races. I really thought I’d run more once I ER’d but the opposite happened. Soon after retiring I ran a ten- mile race, purposely took a couple of days off to recover, and haven’t run since. Like Forrest Gump, I just don’t feel like running anymore.

Currently I do what I consider activities, not sports. Walking, cycling, hiking, whitewater kayaking, XC skiing. Yoga to try to keep flexibility and balance. I love to be outside but can be wimpy about being out in cold wind or rain. In the winter I go to the gym, so I do some strength training since I’m there.

My goal is at least 30 minutes of exercise, at least 5-6 days per week.

When I was a kid, I took swimming & sailing lessons and enjoyed bike riding, but never did any competitive sports and never thought of myself as athletic. Once I became an adult, I took up water skiing, scuba diving, stand-up paddleboarding, and going to the gym to help me stay in shape. I also walk 3-5 miles a day, 5-6 times a week, and I occasionally bike and hike. Also took up tennis but my elbow objected.
I still don't think of myself as a an athlete, but like to stay as fit as I can. Living in So CA, it's easy to exercise outdoors all year, and I'm a lot better at consistently doing sports outdoors than I am at working out in a gym. I believe fitness is one key to aging well.

I was never an athlete and don't have much interest in team sports.

When I was young, about all I did was bicycling, rock climbing, spelunking, handball, and racquetball.

In the military, I started running and maintained that interest. Enjoyed a lot of 10-K races while never finishing much above the middle of the pack. Did my first marathon at 58, then two more plus a bunch of half-marathons.

You mean I actually get to brag about my running here? ;)

I ran cross country in high school and some track too. During college I mostly biked around campus. Then have been running since 1972 for aerobic fitness. We have a nice state park behind our house where I do trail runs and watch the local wildlife (deer, turkeys, coyotes, good looking girls).

This last year I joined a gym for the first time in my life. Not a Charles Atlas but just trying to maintain upper body strength.

Here is my running mileage since retiring. Some of the recent lower mileage is because of travel. Generally we walk and hike a lot on vacations.

run_record.jpg

As a kid, played a lot of softball/basketball/volleyball. No formal sports in HS, as I was working after school to save $ for college.
Now, just walk daily, either around the neighborhood or at the adult community center gym.

No real athletic ability...I played rec league hockey and slow pitch from my teens until my mid-40's.

I like working out and lifting. 5 years ago when I was 50, I did 5 chin-ups a minute for a full hour for a total of 300 chin-ups. At some point in the near future I will attempt to do either 500 chin-ups or 1000 pushups in under 2 hours.

. 5 years ago when I was 50, I did 5 chin-ups a minute for a full hour for a total of 300 chin-ups. At some point in the near future I will attempt to do either 500 chin-ups or 1000 pushups in under 2 hours.

Impressive!

Little baseball and football in high school
Started playing rugby in college, then played 13 years of Division 1 club rugby
After that I started Uechi-Ryu karate and am currently a Godan (5th degree) black belt

Still an athlete (I am 48).

I played varsity tennis and badminton in HS (was all-state badminton my junior and senior years). Played college tennis as well.

Switched to racquetball in my 20s, which I still do; I play in tournaments and travel the country for national ones.

I played volleyball (beach and indoor) for many years, but haven't had the time lately. I also bike regularly in the warm weather (20-30 miles once or twice a week), and do several charity bike rides every year.

I don't know if it counts as athletic, but I just learned to SCUBA, and am going to Belize in January for that. Can't wait!

Ran track and cross country in high school... loved the long distance training. Now the hips and feet won't tolerate much running. Began playing volleyball in high school and have continued it right up until now. The past few years the competitiveness has been high. I had a cardiologist scoff at playing volleyball as a cardio sport. I laughed at him and said, "You haven't seen how seriously we play." I would love to find an adult volleyball league in Florida when we snowbird down there.

Been bicycling since high school. Took up golf at age 40 and love it (shot an 83 this morning). Took up kayaking as a sport that didn't require my feet to participate.

Been playing ultimate frisbee since 1971, so got in pretty close to the beginning which was 1969. I still play some pickup on weekends, but every year I wonder if it's time to stop as the risk of getting a major injury (like stepping on someone's foot and rolling/breaking your ankle) keeps going up. Would be cool to be out there at age 70; only 6 years away.

Larry

I've always been pretty active and hope to stay that way 😀
High School track and bball player. Now I'm getting into bodybuilding a bit. I realize at 56 yo I need to keep my expectations in check, but I'm having lots of fun. Workout, bike ride and spend some time on meal prep. Can't believe that now in my "advanced" age that I'm getting muscular and have a six-pack! Don't take it too far but enjoy it and feel great.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom