Avalon Cruise, tours + travel Portugal to Switzerland

stephenson

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
We are cruising on the Rhine river with Avalon next May, 2022. We will be staying a few nights in Lucerne prior to the cruise and planning on staying a couple of nights afterwards in Amsterdam. Can anyone talk about hotels they've stayed at in those cities? Also, did you take any particular tours that you would recommend?

Finally, we have to get from Lisbon, Portugal to either Zurich or Lucerne. Has anyone traveled one way? I think flying will be much faster than training but always interested in opinions. Thanks!

Take a look at Trip advisor for hotels near the Museum Quarter. We took a hop on hop off canal boat through the canals while we were there.
I have attached a copy of our trip story.
We are always happy to answer questions.

Attachments

• EUROPEAN RIVER CRUISE 2010short.pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 5
Finally, we have to get from Lisbon, Portugal to either Zurich or Lucerne. Has anyone traveled one way? I think flying will be much faster than training but always interested in opinions. Thanks!

Lucerne doesn't have a commercial airport to speak of, so Zurich is your best bet. VERY fast and easy train from Zurich airport to Lucerne though.

Train from Portugal to Switzerland is long and a bit of a pain because Spain (and presumably Portugal) use smaller track width than rest of Europe, so you have to change trains at least one additional time. Definitely fly.

... did you take any particular tours that you would recommend? ... Thanks!
No clue about Lucerne, but our default is to hire a private guide if we are in a city for a day or two. Then the tour becomes what we want to see* rather than some lowest-common-denominator tourist march. Usually we find their advertisements on the internet (example: https://www.lucerneguide.ch/) or get recommendations from reader experiences in International Travel News (https://www.intltravelnews.com/) There is also a site called https://www.toursbylocals.com/ but I try to book direct so the guide isn't clipped a fee by an intermediary. Private guides are not cheap, but viewed in the context of the overall trip $$ they are not expensive either IMO.

*As an example. we had read about Fallen Monument Park.(https://www.npr.org/2020/07/21/8929...led-statues-russia-has-a-fallen-monument-park ) Our Moscow private guide took us there, no problem, and it was a fascinating place no vanilla tour itinerary would ever include.

When in Lucerne you might want to visit Mt. Pilatus-cable car or train.

Or..if the lake boats are still operating go to pier and take the towards Kastanienbaum and beyond.. We stayed in Kastanienbaum for several days in another life and took often took the ferry into Luzern. IF the timetables back to Luzern do not suit there is (or was) a fairly frequent mini bus back to Luzern. We also did the commute to Zurich.

For jewelry stores....we loved to browse in Bucherers (in Luzern). Bought DW a brushed gold bracelet as a souvenir too many years ago that she still wears.

Luzern is one of our favourite cities. Enjoy.

We would fly to Zurich. Spend more time in Lisbon or more time in Zurich or Luzern. We have found TAP to offer good service, good fares from Portugal to other European cities. Getting from Zurich to Luzern by train is fast and easy.

Last edited:
When in Lucerne you might want to visit Mt. Pilatus-cable car or train.

Mt. Pilatus is more famous, but Mt. Titlis is a very similar experience and the cable car to get up there is nothing short of incredible. Nothing like it in the world.

I also vouch for both Zurich and Luzern as a couple of my very favorite cities.

Your river cruise sounds great, and Avalon is a first rate operation.

We've been to Amsterdam quite a few times, and I agree about finding a hotel in the Museum District. On trams, you can get anywhere in Amsterdam fast. I suggest going to Booking.com to find a hotel, and pay close attention to the customer ratings.

There is one circle tram line that hits all the high spots of the city. It's almost like a hop on hop off bus. I suggest taking it to get your feet on the ground.

We used to stay at a B&B in Amsterdam South, however most of the area B&B's have been sold and converted into very expensive condos.

I have been to Switzerland a couple of times, but the Austrian Alps of Tirol are the same mountains as Switzerland. We find the scenery there nothing short of incredible, and it's easier and less expensive to travel there--thru Munich. I went to college in Innsbruck, and am naturally drawn back there every few years.

Back
Top Bottom