Baby Bird Finally Left the Nest

mountainsoft

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Our 30 year old daughter finally got an apartment of her own! She has been working two part time jobs and not really getting anywhere. We've been trying for years to encourage her to find a better full time job, but that seemed to fall on deaf ears. She generally works 6-7 days a week, sometimes 10-12 hours a day. But the hours vary and the pay is low, so her total income has remained low.

Anyway, I found a duplex apartment in town, checked it out on my own and let the landlord know her situation. He's a nice guy and was willing to work with her to move in, renting month-to-month, no lease, etc. The apartment is in good condition, and so far he has been really prompt with the few minor repairs that were needed.

While we are excited for her, we're still a bit nervous as the rent is about half of her take home pay. With utilities, car insurance, groceries, etc. that leaves her very little money for emergencies or personal expenses. She has never been a big spender, but she hasn't had to struggle with money before either. We have tried to supply the basics to get her set up as best as possible, but now it will be up to her. We're hoping the change will be positive, and hopefully be the incentive she needs to find a better job.

On our end, it will be interesting to see how much our expenses go down, if any. At the same time, we are losing the money she was paying us for rent, so we won't be saving as much for retirement. For now we've pushed back our estimated retirement date about six months, but will reevaluate once we're in our new normal.

Even though she was rarely home anyway, it is weird to walk around the house and see all of her things gone. Or the little changes in our routines, saying good morning, or sending her off to work. My wife and I are enjoying our new empty nest freedom so far, but has been an adjustment. It will take a while to adapt to only planning meals for two. Our daughter is not very expressive and doesn't like to talk about her feelings, so it has been hard to read what she thinks of the change. We can't tell if she is excited, or feels pushed out. Either way, I think the change will be good for her.

Its always a change when the last one leaves the house. Sometimes they come back! Both of ours have for various reasons, but got back on their feet rather quickly and were better for it.
It sounds like she was not the one looking to move? If you have given her a good boost, she will most likely do fine on her own terms.
Now you and your wife can really focus on your retirement plan. Enjoy

Congratulations. Some baby birds might need a little nudge to fly on their own. Enjoy her becoming independent; out of the nest doesn't mean out of your life.

Being out on her own may just provide the incentive to get a better full time job so she can have better hours and pay? Even better the FT job could provide some benefits that she is probably not getting working part time.
As bestwifeever said, she will still be in your life since it sounds like her new apt is nearby. Enjoy the empty nest.

Our 30 year old daughter finally got an apartment of her own!

Your story is what is likely to be in store for DD1, as her oldest is about to graduate from college in the spring. He's worked part time since high school and made good grades but seems woefully ill-prepared to find meaningful full-time employment with sufficient income to support independent living.

His parents sat him down over the holidays and explained (once again) they would no longer pay for his college apartment when the lease expired this June. He will have to find a job to pay for an apartment or move back home.

Based on his deer-in-the-headlights reaction the news apparently sank in this time. But with his well-known lack of foresight and inability to plan beyond what he is going to do with his friends tonight, none of us hold out much hope he won't be moving back into his old room come June.

EDIT: FWIW, I sent DD this article which she thought both timely and highly appropriate.

Parenting kids over 18 is still parenting. You just get less control and the stakes are higher.

Last edited:
I think you did the right thing and it may push her to find a better job. You don’t want to have a kid that never leaves home.

Baby birds gotta fly someday

I think it's the right thing for you and for DD. Even though it sounds like it's costing you both more $$ in the short term, in 5 years you'll consider it money well spent. I'm glad it is proceeding amicably.

I have a boomerang kid who shows no sign of leaving on his own. He's got a good job (plus a side job), goes to the gym and occasionally hangs out with friends. But he has a lifelong history of carving comfortable grooves in life and then staying there until some external force shoves him out. He has an easy gig here, enjoying free lodging, meals, wifi, parking, etc. His only expenses are his car, HI and hobbies. Gotta be saving money like crazy.

He is low maintenance, doing a few regular chores here and there. The marginal cost to us in food and utilities of having him here is minor. But he's stagnating and needs to get out on his own. He is older than I was when I bought this house, and I had a wife and 5 kids by then!

But mention that and be prepared for a lot of defensive arguing. Sigh. He's clearly still gun shy from the events that led to his boomeranging the first time.

30 years ago, my own parents had a similar issue with some boomerangs of their own (did not include me). It prompted them to cement their own retirement plans, including selling the house and moving 200 miles away. DW and I now have a countdown to when she retires and we can sell our main house and move to the lake permanently. I expect the son won't take any action until that's imminent.

May I be blunt? Baby bird got pushed out of the nest and now you've had to delay your retirement by at least 6 months. It sounds like none of you were really ready financially for this change.

In general, I don't agree with the mindset that forcing kids to leave home necessarily results in the desired outcomes, for either the kids or the parents. There can also be mitigating circumstances. I'll just leave it at that for now.

Its always a change when the last one leaves the house. Sometimes they come back!

We're hoping it's a one way trip, but considering how tight her finances will be aren't ruling out she may end up back home at some point. Hopefully she'll enjoy her own place and won't want to come back.

It sounds like she was not the one looking to move? If you have given her a good boost, she will most likely do fine on her own terms.

She has wanted her own place for some time, but never really took the initiative to make it happen. She was actually going to move in with a friend of a friend last year. My wife and I did a little research on that person and thought it was a bad situation and would have been a completely wrong start in life. Thankfully, we talked it over with her and she changed her mind without us having to talk some sense into her. We were happy to have her live at home a few more months than be in that situation.

I was actually starting to look at low income housing for her when I stumbled across this duplex in town. Newly remodeled, all new appliances, quiet area, free off street parking. Reminds us a lot of our first apartment. She's only 15 minutes from us, so she doesn't feel like she's moving far away, and can come home to visit any time.

We've been saving dishes and a few random items from my mom's house for her, but we have spent a little trying to get her some of the essentials. A new vacuum cleaner, broom/dust pan, toaster, household cleaners, etc. I've also tried to get her setup with internet, WiFi, a printer, and other "comforts of home" she is used to. She got a small dresser and a bookshelf from a friend. We still need to find a couch and a small dining table, but otherwise I think she has everything she'll need to start out. She went out and bought some towels, soap dispensers, toilet brush, silverware, etc. for her new place. It's fun to see her develop her own decorating style.

He is low maintenance, doing a few regular chores here and there. The marginal cost to us in food and utilities of having him here is minor. But he's stagnating and needs to get out on his own.

Yeah, that's the way our daughter was. She was always working or going to events so we rarely saw her. Her impact on food and utilities was minimal and she took care of all of her own bills. But, she was kind of stuck and wasn't growing in life. It was time.

We had one son who came back more than once even after graduate school. Finally I gave him a 2 month deadline to move out. You don’t do kids any favors by letting them keep living at home.

May I be blunt? Baby bird got pushed out of the nest and now you've had to delay your retirement by at least 6 months. It sounds like none of you were really ready financially for this change.

We didn't need her rent money, but it was nice to have the extra income going directly to our retirement savings. We probably don't need to delay our retirement, but until we all settle into our new grooves I thought I would err on the side of caution. We still have 3-4 years to go, so a lot could change either way before then. If I find our expenses go down, we might even be able to move the estimated date sooner. Nothing is set in stone, I'm just playing with numbers at this point.

As for pushing baby bird out, she wanted her own place but just lacked the initiative to make it happen. We're not the type to kick her out unprepared, obviously, she was still living at home at 30. I ran the numbers and she CAN survive on what she makes, it will just be an adjustment for her. She'll certainly have it easier than when my wife and I started out.

She generally works 6-7 days a week, sometimes 10-12 hours a day.

As for pushing baby bird out, she wanted her own place but just lacked the initiative to make it happen. We're not the type to kick her out unprepared, obviously, she was still living at home at 30. I ran the numbers and she CAN survive on what she makes, it will just be an adjustment for her. She'll certainly have it easier than when my wife and I started out.

It reads to me like she lacked much time to look for a place. :)

I'll probably get piled on for saying this, however, there is nothing wrong with a young person having to struggle on their own. Parents need to love their kids enough to allow them to fail and learn from their mistakes. It is okay for parents to make choices for themselves, even if doing so may end up making their child unhappy. Maybe you have a 30-year-old who wants to move back home ― but for whatever reason, you don’t want him/her to. Instead of welcoming him/her with open arms, understand that it’s OK to say no.

.... I have a boomerang kid who shows no sign of leaving on his own. He's got a good job (plus a side job), goes to the gym and occasionally hangs out with friends. But he has a lifelong history of carving comfortable grooves in life and then staying there until some external force shoves him out. He has an easy gig here, enjoying free lodging, meals, wifi, parking, etc. His only expenses are his car, HI and hobbies. Gotta be saving money like crazy. ....

DS finally launched a number of hears ago when he was in his mid 20s.

The last time he moved home was more because he changed jobs and our house was closer to his work than where he was living at the time. And while we were happy to have him around some, we didn't want him around permanently.... so we agreed that he would pay rent of $400/month and it would all go into a "DS freedom fund" that he would receive in a lump sum when he moved out. I would periodically provide him with a statement of deposits and what his balance was. It is amazing the incentive that the fund creates once 10-12 months rent is sitting in there and they can get $4-5k for just moving out!

Also my DS launched 5 years ago when he was 25. He still doesn't make much money, but lives within his means and has no debt.
I will see if he can now move forward with starting to save for retirement.

I'm not sure I would have been so patient. My DS is looking at apartments/duplexes for he, and a buddy to move into over the last week or two. I'm thrilled that he finally has a decent full time job, (but also kept his part time job delivering pizzas).

Like you, it will be interesting to see how much our expenses go down over the next year. He has a habit of keeping an oil filled radiator (heater) going in his room, with multiple lights as well. He also takes an hour long lounging shower every day, and eats like a horse.

We love him, but we are ready for him to fly out of the nest.

Last edited:
Ok. My boys (known to be slower to jettison the home) have been gone now for three years. I never thought they'd leave. Accidentally one found a career. The other was for the most part gone but a little drug rehab changed that. I digress..... I hope the best for her and they all do find their niche. You are loving parents and it will work out just fine. If she does come back, just set a timeline and it will all work out.

The problem is, we were too nice as parents. DD moved out at about 28. I moved out at 18.5, and never looked back. Living at home sucked! Make lots of arbitrary rules, be really nosy about everything they do, monitor their browsing history at the router, etc., and I can guarantee you won't have to worry about convincing them to move.

DS, 34, is a machinist (not big wages here), living in our basement. We are conflicted about this. This has been convenient for us as we have lived and traveled outside the country for years. He has been taking advantage of his situation by saving money like mad and doubled up on his college debt payments. Apartment costs here are 1/3 to 1/2 his wages. We know he is planning his Exodus. (Right now, we plan to stay here indefinitely, but that can change, of course.)

Awaiting developments.

Good grief! these adoults still living on parents' apron strings?
What is it withese modern kids?

A week after my discharge from the Army at ripe old age of 21 and change, I got my own apartment. I paid for it initially with savings form my grand 1967 to 70 GI salary.
Well OK, it was somebody's basement, with a retinue of ant columns traveling through twice a day. They were very orderly and could tell time of day by their arrival. But I paid for the place. Fully furnished it with early attic and late basment purchases along with curbside findings. Got job, $2 and change per hour, plus the sidejob of gas jockey. I even bought a car, a used 63 Pontiac Bonneville.
At 23 bought my own house. It was tiny with a postage stamp of yard, but it was my place, with a mortgage of course.

Thanks PB.
Never knew about this one.
He does earn right around the upper limit, so will check with him when he comes down to FLA in 2 weeks.

You can do tax-deductible tIRA contributions to reduce yourself below the limit or down to the next level and then go with Roth contributions.

For example, if limit is $32,000 and before any retirement contributions AGI is $34,000 then you can do a $2,001 deductible IRA contribution to reduce AGI to $31,999 to qualify for the 10% tax credit and the $2,001 contribution would result in a $200 tax credit plus the 12% reduction in taxes... so a total refund of $440 (22%).

From that point, additional tIRA contributions would return 22% but additional Roth contributions would only return 10%.

.... I moved out at 18.5, and never looked back. Living at home sucked! ...

+1 .... I was so happy to have the freedom to do as I wanted that there was no way that I would ever have moved back home.... even if I did have to struggle a bit and fend for myself.

However, we had one and often more roommates to make it affordable... right out of college I had a roommate and then within 5 months we joined up with some other buddies and rented a 5-bedroom house and split the cost... it doesn't seem that today's kids do things like that anymore.

Back
Top Bottom