Back to school?

For some reason, I had to take philosophy in college. One of the professors, who was infamous for giving low grades, was excruciatingly boring. I thought of it as cruel and unusual punishment. :LOL:

I like the idea of listening to the news in another language. I'll have to look into that.

Our philosophy professor was quite odd. Class was held in a satellite location in a multiple office/ meeting room facility. Some corporation was having a dinner function next door at the same time as one of our sessions.

Our professor said "it's lunch time" - we all went into the next room, got plates of food and came back to our room to eat.

Not yet retired, but this sounds like me: B.A., B.S, M.S., M.S., Ph.D. Yes, two bachelor’s and two masters degrees. I always regretted that my masters were not in my primary area of interest. Instead, I followed the path of obtaining degrees that were in high need areas with high likelihood of career growth and job security. Thus, I have thought about taking classes during retirement for pleasure. The odds of this happening are slim because there are so many courses available for free online. No pressure, self-paced learning is more appealing.

I have been a DIY investor all my life, and that approach allowed me to reach FIRE compared to most other physicians. So, I decided to go back to school to get a Master degree in finance. Unfortunately, I fell back into my old habits of dedicating however much time it took to not just learn the material but to get an A in the class, to the detriment of my personal life. Thus I found that I did not like going back to school.

I have been a DIY investor all my life, and that approach allowed me to reach FIRE compared to most other physicians. So, I decided to go back to school to get a Master degree in finance. Unfortunately, I fell back into my old habits of dedicating however much time it took to not just learn the material but to get an A in the class, to the detriment of my personal life. Thus I found that I did not like going back to school.

I found the seminary classes a challenge because I could count on one hand the number of papers I'd written as a Math major. These profs were good (the Old Testament instructor had learned Ugaritic and Hittite in grad school after learning Egyptian hieroglyphics in undergrad) so using Wikipedia as a source was not an option! I ended up getting an A in every class except for one B-minus- but then I took sessions off when travel interfered, and had few distractions at home and wasn't trying to hold down a job like many of my classmates.

An MBA in Finance sounds interesting- I also like investing- but would probably include requirements that didn't interest me. Life is too short for that!

Instead of paying to go back to school, I went back to teach. That way I got paid to learn new things, along with free books.

In all seriousness, my motto on the last 10+ years (teaching) has been - when asked if I am interesting in teaching x, jump on the opportunity.

For "fun", I also have taken a number of Udemy courses (which vary in quality but overall have been good). Also did Cisco networking (CCNA, for "fun") as I was able to take the training for free.

When we retired DW decided to finish up her BA degree, which wasn't too big of a project since she was only nine classes away.

And I ended up taking half a dozen or so "Adult Ed" photography classes that were not for credit and were once a week for about four weeks each. I did like those and actually learned some useful stuff.

Once in a while I think about taking a welding course, but these are technical school classes with the rigid semester-long schedule that goes with them. That gives me pause, and at this point I'm not sure what use I'd make of it.

Once in a while I think about taking a welding course, but these are technical school classes with the rigid semester-long schedule that goes with them. That gives me pause, and at this point I'm not sure what use I'd make of it.

Faced with the same specter of trade-offs and constraints, I found an evening course for welding at an ART SCHOOL, of all places. As in, this was metalworking and welding for making art, not structural members. My particular school was MIAD (Milwaukee Institute of Art and Design). Maybe you can find something similar?

Went through a couple more chapters. Learning / relearning a lot. Including how expensive it was for the British to win the French and Indian war. And the British figured that the colonists benefitted the most from their victory. So the British decided to tax the colonists. That's how it all started.

Went through a couple more chapters. Learning / relearning a lot. Including how expensive it was for the British to win the French and Indian war. And the British figured that the colonists benefitted the most from their victory. So the British decided to tax the colonists. That's how it all started.

Is that where "no taxation without representation started"?

Back
Top Bottom