Bad Job Situation

Great call on the notice time line. If I give notice and they come up with a reason to fire with cause - out goes the annual bonus and the Long term Incentive.

As for the Long Term Incentive- by the end of July, I will meet the 1 year minimum since this program went into effect. I am not full vested until the 2012. So because I qualify for early retirement, I do not lose the years payout. I am glad that I did my homework and do not lose out on the $40k! I have to wait until 2012 for the money, but that's better than nothing!

TM, I love the progression in your mood from your first post on this thread. You are going to have no trouble hanging in there til 2012.

I spent 12 years working for a jack @ss. Funny how things finally caught up with him. Too many employee complaints - as they leave - for HR to ignore. Burned too many bridges to be promoted. Once commented to me how far he had fallen as the re-orgs over the years have put more and more people between him and the top.

But I have to credit the guy with giving me focus to achieve FIRE. He was the reason I started "moon lighting" (his words!) in real estate. I'ld go home; change clothes; and start another work day managing the rentals. Frankly could not have done it without this jack @ss riding me all day long.

He eventually left the company (I was promoted into his position). It was like a storm cloud cleared over my head.

Come to find out he was laid off from that position ... "a huge blow" according to his sister. My guess is he's got more bad karma coming.

Bestwifeever - thanks for the comments. Part of the attitude change is due to the fact that the VP is our of the country until the end of next week. Check back then to see how I am doing! Actually, the more I get a plan in place to make this happen the better I feel. I don't have to wait until 2012 - I'm out in 5 months.

Make the Plan / Work the Plan.

Bestwifeever - thanks for the comments. Part of the attitude change is due to the fact that the VP is our of the country until the end of next week. Check back then to see how I am doing! Actually, the more I get a plan in place to make this happen the better I feel. I don't have to wait until 2012 - I'm out in 5 months.

Make the Plan / Work the Plan.

Hi TMretire,

Before I FIRE'd I was in a really hectic work environment. I could have done my best to hang on til Nov 2011 for more pension and supposedly retire health benefits. Instead, I went ahead and did my planning to see when I could FIRE if needed, and decided to do so before my original hang on date of Nov 2011. I look at the calendar today and think to myself, thank goodness I left when I did or else I'd still be stuck there for over a year.

5 months for you probably sounds right around the corner (you'd be FIRE'd by Christmas :)), whereas 2012 probably sounds like an eternity, I bet.

I wish you the best.

Easysurfer

That is a very short countdown now, TM--try not to let them see you smiling at work even after the bad boss returns to the office.

okay - it has been a while since I last posted. As I noted earlier, I had plans in place to leave my job in September due to a very unhealthly job situation. About 6 weeks ago I found out that a position was available with my current company in the state that I planned to move. The position was one that I had held for 12 years. (3 years ago I went into the home office to fill a position.) I was surprised when they told me that I would need to go through the entire panel interview process. Amazed when I was told that I would also need to complete the "assessments" as well. But today I was floored when I got the call that I did not get the position. I was told that the position has changed over the 3 years and that they did not think that I had to needed skill set. Now I am more certain than ever that I must get out. There is a bonus payout at the end of Sept, that I hate to miss out on. Our house will be on the market by the end of the week. I would like to be able to hang in there until it sells, but it will be very tough. So... any suggestions on how to get through the days to come?

The end of September isn't that far away (about 3.5 months). What I'd do is first make a checklist (if not already done) of all the things (ER stuff, not w*rk stuff) you really need to finish before your ER date. By gettin all the ducks in line, that way you know that you've done what you needed to prepare for ERing and not get distracted by all the stuff at w*rk that you will leave behind. If you accomplish all this stuff ahead of time, then the remaining days will just be, as an analogy to sports goes "garbage time". Of course, I'd hold the fact that you plan on ERing close to the vest and not reveal that to co-w*rkers before you need to.

When I ER'd, I knew about a week or two but didn't tell anyone til I really needed to. I remember my boss calling me, talking about upoming w*rk activities, etc. and I just "played along" and didn't let anyone know I planned on leaving unitl I needed to, otherwise, them knowing you plan on leaving with the time left, could be even more miserable than it already is.

vodka and breathe mints - I like it!!
I've got the list together - now it just need to work through everything.

Thank you both for the tips!

At least the whole apply for your old job killed six weeks of the waiting time for you, so no harm in not getting it (and maybe the people at your old position had their feelings hurt when you left them for the home office three years ago so they were never going to choose you for the position anyway). The end of September and your retirement date are so close! Hang in there.

. I would like to be able to hang in there until it sells, but it will be very tough. So... any suggestions on how to get through the days to come?

Do you have any available vacation time? Take as much of it as you need to, to help break up the last few months and ensure that you can stick it out until the Sept. date.

He's a miserable prick because he's rotten to the core and very unhappy with his life - and he can't stand to see anyone around him any less miserable than he is.
I used to have a boss who would actually say (during meetings) "if I want your opinion, I'll beat it out of you". He would then laugh, as a passive-aggressive tactic in case his remark was challenged. Needless to say, morale was the pits. :(

And other than a paycheck, there is nothing important going on at work. The important stuff is waiting at home, kids who love you, spouse who loves you, or, if you don't have those things in your life- there's always the dog or your goldfish.

During my last year I was in the maelstrom of politics and I got hit by some flak from about five different directions. It bothered me a bit at first, but then I realized - "in a year none of this is crap or these people are going to matter, because I am sooo out-of-here." I used to draw pictures of sailboats (and dream of sailing in retirement) on my notepad during meetings, or I would endlessly calculate how much bigger my pension was today than it was the day before. Whatever it takes to keep focused on the things that are good and right in your life - that's what you do.
Absolutely right.

Now I am more certain than ever that I must get out. There is a bonus payout at the end of Sept, that I hate to miss out on. Our house will be on the market by the end of the week. I would like to be able to hang in there until it sells, but it will be very tough. So... any suggestions on how to get through the days to come?
I don't mean to sound critical, but it might be useful to take a step back and try to obtain a better sense of perspective.

Apparently (?) you have enough resources to retire right now, but you want to hang on so that you'll be receive a bonus. Fair enough, but that means that nothing is forcing you to stay: you can decide at any time that the bonus isn't worth the aggravation, and quit. That secret knowledge should be very helpful in putting up with the petty annoyances.

You have the power, not your boss.

Fully agree - if the aggravation gets to be too much and does not out weigh the benefits of the bonus, I'm out of there. I have been on vacation this week and return to work on Monday. This week will tell me alot.

Are you still in that "bad job situation" that you wrote about in April? Or have you ER already? I noted in your profile that 2010 is your retirement year. Congratulations if things have improved at work, otherwise, hang in there ER is right around the corner for you.

Time for an update... I "retired" on Oct. 26th. I gave a two weeks notice and am glad that I didn't give any longer. My boss was unkind with how he treated me during those weeks. He felt that I did not appreciate that I had a "good" job and how dare I walk away from all that the company had given me. He was rude and dismissive and solidified my decision that this was a company that I needed to get away from. At this point we have sold our home and relocated back to where we both grew up. I have not lived in this area for many years and have loved being back with family again. ER is great. I stayed long enough to get my bonus and several other perks that I had coming to me. These just helped to build up the retirement fund. Now I have time to work on several creative hobbies that I have not had time to enjoy for years. The big question is will I look for another job in the future - as of right now, I do not plan on it. I am enjoying myself too much. I seem to be adjusting well to this new life style! I have worked in retail for many years and it has put a bad taste in my mouth for the holiday season. Now that pressure is gone and I can truely remember the reason for the season. Thanks to all for the advise over the months that I was working through this process.

Congratulations! I can feel your happiness just reading your post. :cool:

Congrats, TM.

It's always encouraging to read an "now I'm free and I'm loving it" post.

Congratulations TM,

Just think, how sweet it is that you've FIRE'd and all the chaos with the rude boss etc. is in the rear view mirror and fading out of sight :)

So true easysurfer! I will admit that I have had many dreams/nightmares about work. Always in yet another meeting trying to argue some sense into others. Not a good dream, but a great feeling when I wake up and know that I don't have to do that any more. Loving it!

TM,

With those dreams/nightmares, welcome to the world of FIRE!

I FIRE'd in 2008 and still have recurring w*rk dreams. In my dream/nightmare, I dream that I've been "volunteering" my services for months, realizing that I haven't entered my timesheet nor have been on the payroll for months. Then the good part is when I realize that I don't need this anymore as I'm retired..then I wake up :D

While the dreams/nightmare can cause me a mini panic attack - it is almost worth that great feeling when you wake up! I'm with you easyrider.

Well done TM, welcome to ER :flowers:

Back
Top Bottom