Balanced Portfolio market frustration continues..

I was happy with what I had in 2019 and I have about the same in 2023 even adjusting for inflation and drawing 4 years of living expenses.

What, Me Worry?

What you see on your personal graph year-to-year is highly-dependent on how well you stick to a plan. I was looking at ours yesterday, after thinking a bit more about this thread.

Since 2002 our approach has been relatively consistent: 60% equity and so on. 10 years before FRA we began decreasing equity 1% yearly. Market fluctuation is still there. But we're not looking to change much going forward.

There's a quote that goes something like, "The enemy of my plan is the search for a better plan."

YMMV, as always.

I was too lazy to do anything in early 2022, and I am too lazy (too late?) to do anything now. Hope everything will get even eventually. I hold everything long term, really long term.

+1
I haven't made any major moves for about 20 years now holding a total market and total bond portfolio. I expect to keep that posture for the next 20 years or more. I do re-balance periodically when things get out of whack. Ultra low cost and very boring....just the way I like it.

What you see on your personal graph year-to-year is highly-dependent on how well you stick to a plan. I was looking at ours yesterday, after thinking a bit more about this thread....

There's a quote that goes something like, "The enemy of my plan is the search for a better plan."

Good thought! Thanks.

Opening yield on a bond fund is its expected return. So if you liked it when you bought it, that's about what to expect.

Isn't this the textbook case of buying more of the fund as its value has decreased? Going back to my first point, what is the yield on the fund, today? If you like that number, why not add to it?

Selling low is rarely a good idea if you have a decent timeframe. If you have a very high conviction of a better investment, could be one good reason but my crystal ball is usually wrong.

Back
Top Bottom