Baseball 2017

If umpires don't grant time for hitters when they step out of the box after EVERY pitch, the game will zip along. Aside from the extra time used for all of the mid-inning "matchup" relievers (this won't change) and the time it takes for the commercial breaks (much longer now and that won't change either), if the umpires will call strikes as defined in the rule book it will force more swings and the game will move along.

Watch a Greg Maddux or Tommy John pitched game on Youtube and you'll see how it can be done.

+1 All the extra equipment gives the batter more excuses to step out of the box.

On youtube I watched a pre-1970 game, and wow did it move along! Batters walked briskly to the plate, pitchers threw soon, and batters generally stayed in the box to complete the at-bat. Progress was downright zippy!

I've watched a couple of those two - 1968 World Series Game 1, for example.Even there, the commercial breaks between innings were only 1 minute long. And even that wasn't fixed. A great story about Bob Gibson - he was pitching on NBC's Game of the Week and he would be through with his warmups and the umps would start the inning before the commercials could finish. An NBC staffer asked a Cardinal staffer if he would say something to Gibby about that. Of course, the Cardinal staffer just looked at the guy like he was crazy.

Current breaks 2:30, old breaks 1:00. That's 3:00 minutes per inning, 24+ minutes per game. I think that's something like 85% of the increase over the last 5 decades.

Anything other than dealing with commercials is just window dressing for the real problem.

In short, once upon a time, TV broadcast games (football, baseball, hockey, whatever) within the structure of the game. Now games are structured according to the needs of the broadcaster.

Yes. I watch a couple of different minor leagues. One has a clock, the other doesn't. Honestly, I don't notice much difference.

The big difference is between innings. Without TV, they move along. It is really a fun game to watch.

There is a rookie league nearby too (Short Season). I wonder if they are going to be doing the 2B runner thing? That just seems anti-baseball!

Edit: found a source. Looks to be tested in rookie Arizona and Gulf Coast leagues, not the Appy league I follow.

Last edited:
Not sure who has the most stupid rule changes each year. Baseball, football or NASCAR. (I vote Football) Maybe I'm just resistant to change but I liked the events played as I learned them ~50 years ago. I'm usually okay with changes to protect the players but few others.

I can remember years ago, 50s-60s, a player reaching out and hitting an intentional walk pitch for a hit, it might have been Yogi Berra, a very good bad ball hitter. Unfortunately I modeled my hitting after him, and thats why I ended up as a pitcher.

I can remember years ago, 50s-60s, a player reaching out and hitting an intentional walk pitch for a hit, it might have been Yogi Berra, a very good bad ball hitter. Unfortunately I modeled my hitting after him, and thats why I ended up as a pitcher.

There has been more than that... I have seen a few over the years....

Here is one from 06...

Also, looking around it seems that there are many more wild pitches than a batter hitting the ball...

Now I want to know, did Lou Gehrig really hit a home run for that kid in the hospital during an intentional walk like in that movie with Gary Cooper?

Ouch :facepalm:!

Poor Steven Piscotty of the Cardinals...got nailed three times going around the bases. At least he scored.

That's taking [-]one [/-]three for the team.

I just really really hope baseball won't do that start runner on 2B each extra inning. I heard of that proposal on "The Tonight Show" and almost that the proposal was a joke and had to look it up and make sure my leg wasn't pulled.
They do this in softball games played under International rules - obviously to end games sooner.

I'm for a 20 seconds to pitch rule with no runners on. If batter isn't ready, tuff. No reason to keep stepping out. Why not limit the number of throws to a base to pick runners off - say three. I think that would stop the useless lob throws over to the base.

I'm for a 20 seconds to pitch rule with no runners on. If batter isn't ready, tuff. No reason to keep stepping out. Why not limit the number of throws to a base to pick runners off - say three. I think that would stop the useless lob throws over to the base.

The problem with that is that the runner would then have a huge advantage.... he knows you cannot throw and can take a larger lead and easily steal second...

When the pitcher is forced to throw the four pitches for an intentional walk, there's a tendency for the pitcher to have a little less control for the next batter up. Plus, adds to his pitch count. On a hot day, if the team wants to walk the batter, make the pitcher wear himself out more. That is (well was) part of the human factor and beauty of the game.

Then there's this. Doesn't happen often, but it's fun to see.

Ouch :facepalm:!

Poor Steven Piscotty of the Cardinals...got nailed three times going around the bases. At least he scored.

That's taking [-]one [/-]three for the team.
Great example of why they wear the helmet while running.

I remember as a kid when the batter used to get on first, toss his helmet to the bat boy, and pull out his regular hat from his back pocket.

It was a terrible example to us little league-rs. Of course, we couldn't do that, but we *wanted* to do it.

Probably happens more often than I remember, but I saw Steve Buechele whack a 3-0 fat pitch out of the park at a Rangers' game quite a few years back. Would have been better to walk him.

Here's a brief article on that topic...

http://www.beyondtheboxscore.com/2014/4/2/5566892/green-light-a-study-of-3-0-swings

I do not think a clock is a bad thing... some pitchers take forever to get ready and throw a pitch.... however, I would also want to have a rule about how many times you can get out of the batters box... there are guys who take 30 seconds to get ready.... a pitch, out of the box... 30 more seconds... just one batter can take many minutes...

Doug Fister use to pitch in Detroit. I was at a game and it was amazing. All he did was pitch. Catcher throws the ball back to him and he takes a breath and pitches. No BS. I don't remember the time of the game, but I remember everyone commenting something like "Is it the 7th inning already?"

I think a clock on a pitcher and forcing the batter to stay in the box would make the game quicker and better. Sorry tradition.

I like Joe Maddon's reaction after the sinking Cubbies lost to the Cards with help from that ticky-tacky 2nd base slide rule:
ST. LOUIS -- Chicago Cubs manager Joe Maddon isn't done criticizing the slide rule at second base that cost his team a run in Saturday's 5-3 loss to the St. Louis Cardinals.

He followed up a postgame rant with a more sarcastic tone on Sunday morning.
"I have some other additions to it," Maddon said. "We should eliminate the headfirst slide. That is a dangerous slide. Your hand could [get hurt], your eye could get poked out. All these different things can occur on a headfirst slide.
"I think face masks should be mandatory for all hitters. And pitchers have been hit in the head by line drives several times, so pitchers should be forced to wear helmets."

Maddon took the night to think of other ways the league can keep players safe. Face masks and no headfirst slides were just a couple of his "ideas."
"I thought of other ways for protectionism," Maddon continued. "I think there should be a cage in the on-deck circle so on-deck guys can stand behind the screen and not get hurt.

"I think there needs to be cup checks as players are running on the field in order to prevent the loss of future families."

Maddon indicated he has not heard from the league office about his critiques but wouldn't be surprised if it called him.

Sarcastic Chicago Cubs manager Joe Maddon has 'ideas' for safety rules

Only have a faint interest in the Baseball All-Star game (ASG) this year.

Cubbies fan, but since they are doing so bad, what a difference a year makes. Last year, the entire infield started the ASG. This year, (appropriately), no one from last year's world series team besides the manager made the ASG.

I'll watch part though as I want to see that big bopper, Aaron Judge from the Yankees.

No interest in all star game either...

But I will say that my team the 'Lastros' have changed since going to the American League and are now the best team in baseball!!! (Woooppppsss... just looked and the Dodgers just went 9-1 to go ahead!!)....

Didn't know the rules changed so the game was just an exhibition with nothing at stake.

Football season has already started, but gotta pause a moment and say, "How about those Cleveland Indians?". They've won 22 games in a row (no joking) and counting!

The most games in a row in modern baseball history. The most ever since around 1917 or so.

I'm a Twins and Diamondbacks fan. Last year the Twins lost 103 games. This year they are in a spot to play in the 1 game Wildcard game for the AL.

Quite the improvement for both teams. My day is a little brighter when the Twins win and my fantasy football team wins. Ha ha.

Winning 22 in a row in baseball is quite amazing. The Indians run is impressive on many levels.

Last edited:
I'm a Twins and Diamondbacks fan. Last year the Twins lost 103 games. This year they are in a spot to play in the 1 game Wildcard game for the AL.

Quite the improvement for both teams. My day is a little brighter when the Twins win and my fantasy football team wins. Ha ha.

Cliche, but once you make the playoffs, anything can happen.

No guarantee the Indians, despite their streak will go deep in the playoffs. Oh, they actually already have the longest winning streak as the old team in the early 1900's actually didn't win all those games but had a tie or two.

This streak has me asking which streak is harder the one by the Indians or basketball one of 33 by the Lakers. I know, different sport, maybe can't compare, but I'm starting to lean towards baseball as harder run into one dominating pitcher, that can be a loss right there.

OK, we are well into the playoffs. Anyone care to speculate on who is going to win their respective pennants and then the WS?

At this point, I'm going with the Dodgers in the NL. Although I'd rather see the Cubs win.

In the AL I'll pick the Astros.

Assuming the Astro's can hold on and win the AL pennant, I'm going to stay with them to win the WS too. Hey other seemingly impossible 1st things have happen over the past year, so why not see the Astros as WS champs for the first time.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom