Baseball 2017

I believe the Astros became the first franchise in modern MLB history (since 1900) to win a pennant in two different leagues. The Brooklyns of 1889 and 1890 did it; in 1889 winning the American Association pennant (then a major league) and the 1890 NL pennant. The Brooklyns didn't win either one -- they lost to the NL's New York Giants in 1889, and tied (yes, tied) the AA's Louisville Colonels in 1890. Foul weather led to a suspension of one of the games which was tied after 8 innings, and the other 6 games were split 3-3. They intended to complete that game and decide it in the spring of 1891 before the start of that season, but the leagues began feuding and it never happened.

Last edited:
Soooo glad to see the Yankees lose. I'll be cheering on Altuve and the Astros

YEA!!!!

Go Stros.... Houston need to have a win in some sport... only the Rockets in a major sport so far...

I believe the Astros became the first franchise in modern MLB history (since 1900) to win a pennant in two different leagues. The Brooklyns of 1889 and 1890 did it; in 1889 winning the American Association pennant (then a major league) and the 1890 NL pennant. The Brooklyns didn't win either one -- they lost to the NL's New York Giants in 1889, and tied (yes, tied) the AA's Louisville Colonels in 1890. Foul weather led to a suspension of one of the games which was tied after 8 innings, and the other 6 games were split 3-3. They intended to complete that game and decide it in the spring of 1891 before the start of that season, but the leagues began feuding and it never happened.
In other words, the Brewers haven't done it since they switched. They are the only other team to switch leagues in the modern era, unless someone did it in the very very early 1900s.

In other words, the Brewers haven't done it since they switched. They are the only other team to switch leagues in the modern era, unless someone did it in the very very early 1900s.

Right -- was pretty sure that was the case, but it was late and my memory was failing me. The Brewers won the 1982 AL pennant but have yet to do so in the NL.

Given what the Houston area has/is going through with Hurricane Harvey and its aftermath it would seem sweet justice for the Astros to win the World Series.... Go Astros!

This will be yet another World Series lacking the best team of each league, as measured by regular season record. Though it's very close this year since the Dodgers are NL #1 and the Astros AL #2, only slightly behind the Indians.

Hey, well what about what LA has been going through with Hurricane Harvey Weinstein and his aftermath? Let's be fair.

This will be yet another World Series lacking the best team of each league, as measured by regular season record. Though it's very close this year since the Dodgers are NL #1 and the Astros AL #2, only slightly behind the Indians.

That's why they have playoffs... regular season records are subtlely distorted by strength of schedule and other factors.

I'd have to call that one within the statistical margin of error. And if you look at the rest of the AL Central it's likely that Cleveland was able to pump their record a little by playing their less competitive division rivals more often. So I'd say pretty much the best teams are in.

I'd have to call that one within the statistical margin of error. And if you look at the rest of the AL Central it's likely that Cleveland was able to pump their record a little by playing their less competitive division rivals more often. So I'd say pretty much the best teams are in.

The best teams are the ones that know how to win when needed. :)

I would like to see the Dodgers win it all. Astros are a very good team also. Where I live there is no major league baseball, unless you count Colorado Rockies which is maybe who fans in Utah root for and watch the games and that's fine . But I grew up in the Los Angeles area and I think I will always be a Dodger and Laker fan no matter where I live.

I had to set up an extra TV in my living room last night so I could watch two games simultaneously, my LSU Tigers (the “tig” in txtig) and my Astros. Was very excited to see two great outcomes. Geaux Astros!!

I really hope the Astros win.

This will probably be the last shot they have at the series before my parents (both almost 90) pass; they watch every game.

This will probably be the last shot they have at the series before my parents (both almost 90) pass; they watch every game.

Man, way to make me feel guilty. I'm still rooting for the Dodgers though.

Even though I have been living in Houston since 1992, I am a die-hard Yankee fan having grown up in the NY area (CT) and was a big fan of the Yanks during my ball playing years (into my 40's).

I have to admit that this Astros team is young, talented, spunky and fun to watch. We gave up our Astros season's tickets during the three year run of 100+ losses they incurred. My DW is a nutty Astros fan and I just go along with her. She watches every game that is televised.

I think it will be a good Series, and I think BOTH teams are built to make a multi-year run. Will be rooting for the 'Stros though, not Yankees West :)

I came across this earlier today and have to share. No disrepect to Yankees fans (I was one from late-Mantle through Bernie Williams) but I thought it was funny.

Attachments

• Yankees Flow Chart.jpg
    Yankees Flow Chart.jpg
    5.5 KB · Views: 60

+1. You can't argue that the best NL team is the Dodgers, and Houston was tops in the AL for quite a while, until CLE put that ginormous winning streak together.

Back
Top Bottom