Bath towel recommendations

cbo111

Full time employment: Posting here.
We are in search of an online source to purchase some new decent-quality bath towels. Anybody have recent success with a particular brand?

Chakir on Amazon. Thick Turkish cotton and they stay soft and keep thickness for a very long time. I always buy the white luxury hotel/spa bath towels.

Restoration Hardware.
Expensive and worth it. 802-GRAM TURKISH TOWEL COLLECTION

Brook Linen.
Pricy and worth it. Thick, soft, spa-like towels with 820 GSM of Turkish cotton

My favorite towels are Daisy House Bamboo bath towels. I bought mine from Wayfair. They are thick, soft, and absorbent. DW doesn't like them because they are heavy and take forever to dry after washing them.

I still recall finally being able to afford a towel that was not only soft but big enough to actually wrap around my entire body. That was one of the days I knew I had "arrived." Nice towels AND high-number thread-count sheets are a couple of my personal measurements of success. Can't give advice on specific towels, but heartily endorse buying really good ones. I consider such things "affordable luxuries." YMMV

We really like the bath sheets by Charisma sold by Costco
https://www.costco.com/charisma-100-hygrocotton-2-piece-bath-sheet-set.product.100400099.html
Two towels for $20. They have them in our warehouse for even better prices.
We bought some of these, and my main complaint is that they just generated a lot of fuzz. It took a long time and many washes to get that fuzz off.

I see some other reviewers had the same complaint. See review titled "Very soft & full but got lint over everything" very much our experience.

Last edited:
I don't like a towel that's too thick or too large. I've been using Dri-Soft towels from Bed Bath & Beyond for years and like the absorbency and quick drying.

Thanks for all the good recommendations.

A factor that I never thought about but that DW explained to me is that fabric softener has a secondary effect of reducing the absorbency of a towel. So you can have either soft or absorbent but not the maximum of both.

My new favorite towels were cheap at Family Dollar, $5 each. They are called Simply Lofty and they are a chenille herringbone weave. Absorbent but light , they dry you off then dry quickly.

Back in 1998 (right after our divorce), my local Wal-Mart had some great bath towels on sale in one of those middle-of-the-aisle displays, for $1 each. Since my ex got all that type of stuff in the divorce, by mutual agreement, and since I needed a towel, I bought about 20 of them in brown, a color which has matched or gone well with the decor in every bathroom I have had since then. 20 towels was more than I needed for just one person (me), but oh well, they will last me for the rest of my life. They are soft, absorbant, the standard size and thickness, and they still look great. Wish I could tell you the brand! I have no idea what it was, though, and the tags are long gone.

So, my suggest is to look at what is available at Wal-Mart.

A few years ago someone gave me a linen bath towel for my camper. (think: your grans linen dishtowel but the size of a bathsheet).

I fell in love with it and over the next few years replaced all the towels in my home. Fast drying, super absorbent and durable. They get softer with washing and take almost no space when folded up.

I'm convinced that this is the towel mentioned in The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy . It can double as a shawl, scarf, wrap skirt and beach cover up. If are you looking, make sure you get high quality real linen made from flax. These days the best come from Lithuania for some reason. Some examples:

https://www.amazon.com/LinenMe-Provence-Natural-Striped-European/dp/B004AMA00O

https://www.amazon.com/LinenMe-Linen-Rhomb-Damask-51-Inch/dp/B005SUO0I0

I'm convinced that this is the towel mentioned in The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy . It can double as a shawl, scarf, wrap skirt and beach cover up.

Reminds me of the first time I realized it can actually get cold (well, chilly) in the Islands. We had NO blankets - only sheets. SO, I took our heavy over-sized towels out of the closet and used them as blankets. Worked so well, we waited for the sales to eventually buy a single comforter - just in case. YMMV

J.C.Penney has some nice towels and then usually have great sales especially now since they are probably closing.

I find the Charisma bath sheet from Costco pretty heavy. I'll see how it does after a wash, and then maybe get the regular sized bath towel.

Restoration Hardware.
Expensive and worth it. 802-GRAM TURKISH TOWEL COLLECTION

Brook Linen.
Pricy and worth it. Thick, soft, spa-like towels with 820 GSM of Turkish cotton

I can vouch for the Restoration Hardware towels. We got ours 18 years ago and they are still going strong.

A factor that I never thought about but that DW explained to me is that fabric softener has a secondary effect of reducing the absorbency of a towel. So you can have either soft or absorbent but not the maximum of both.
This is funny. I've heard that running clothes with technical fabric should not be washed with softener because it makes them less able to wick away moisture. So, using fabric softener, you've got one kind of fabric that's supposed to wick away moisture but instead absorbs it, and another (towels) that are supposed to absorb moisture but won't.

Both can't be true, can they? Apparently they can, from Google searches.

Also, it looks like you shouldn't use dryer sheets either. Might be time to shut this whole place down.

Any fabric experts on here?

Lands End, but wait for a sale. We got 40% off.

+1

The Costco towels are good, but Land's End's are even better.

Stay away from the designer towels at JCP - they shed lint like a Golden Retriever does hair.

I still recall finally being able to afford a towel that was not only soft but big enough to actually wrap around my entire body. That was one of the days I knew I had "arrived."

Nice quality towels are one of those luxuries I'm willing to spend good money on. That said, I bought bath "sheets" one year for Christmas thinking I was really splurging. Neither my wife nor myself liked them. They were soft and good quality, but were so large and heavy they were difficult to dry with. They may have worked well as a beach towel, but as a daily dryer they were too much. We both agreed we would stick to regular size bath towels from that day forward.

I don't have any specific recommendations. I think our last set was from Bed Bath and Beyond, nothing too over the top, just their better quality plain towels.

Oh please, let's include sheets on this thread. I hate to start a new thread when these items are closely related.

Oh please, let's include sheets on this thread. I hate to start a new thread when these items are closely related.

For sheets, we're hooked on Brooklinen.

100% Viscose bamboo. Soft, 3* cooler than cotton, anti-microbial.

I don't use them in the winter or I'd freeze.

Isn't an old towel better than a new one?
My old towels are a bit rough, but I get a poor man's dermabrasion each use.
:wiseone:

Back
Top Bottom