Bathroom renovation

Moemg

Gone but not forgotten
I'm thinking about renovating one of my bathrooms .I'm willing to do the demolition . How much do you think I can do a basic remodel for ? New toilet , vanity ,tub with shower or stand alone shower ( not sure which yet ),granite counter top ( maybe ) and tile floor .Also new light fixture and vanity mirror .

M
We just completed a bath remodel that included a conversion of bath to shower so some extra plumbing (basement install). Our total for acrylic wall covering, plumbing, floor vinyl tile, and sink was about 5k. Add another 1k if you want a new cabinet with granite.
You might get by for a bit less depending on quality choices and local labor costs.
Good Luck
NWsteve

My parents just did roughly the same. I think they helped carry away the old stuff, and did their own painting. They also had some new wiring done. They kept the vanity mirror as it had a nice shelf and medicine cabinet, and may have kept the cabinet under the sink/counter. The counter wasn't granite. 6 or 7K was the number I remember.

i hope its a lot less than 5 or 6k if you do the demo!!

I can get you a beautiful tub/surround for $500, toilet $50-200,vanity $150-$1000,ceramic tile for $30-$200, new shower and sink fixtures $120-$250.

the high end of everything (yes, you can get much more expensive stuff, but the high end of these #'s puts you in really quality stuff around here) puts you at what... $2000? I personally just did a nice remodel for a lady and she had under $1k in home depot supplied materials.

Labor to install these things should take 2 experienced guys 2 days (granite might take a bit longer) if it's 100% demo'd. So even paying $100/hr x16 hr=$1600 labor:confused:

good luck!!

For comparison purposes, here's a wholesale comparison.

Tore out a gigantic master bath, kept the cabinets and counters. All new shower to the studs including some new wood, all new pan, new valves and heads, and nice tile. New tile on the tub and a reset of the existing decent condition tub. New tile on the fireplace at the foot of the tub. New tile floor (about 12x14). New toilet, set. All new baseboard. They hauled the old materials downstairs and I took it all to the dump. About $4700.

Any pics of what you have now for sizing and content? I'm thinking something in the 3-5k range depending on size and materials. Much more than that and you'd be getting ripped off, which is pretty common as far as bathrooms and kitchens go.

Did both bathrooms 2 years ago.
I did the demo down to the studs. (broke up the cast iron tubs with a BIG sledge hammer. Too heavy to get out intact.)
Plumber did some re-piping (already was plastic, so, easy)
Plumber and 3 helpers hauled in the new cast iron tubs. ( I watched.)
I applied, taped, and painted the new sheet rock and cement board on walls and floors.
The next door neighbor, super tile guy, did the tile setting and grouting. (Worked well - finished the first one, demo'd the second, and finished it, all in about 3 weeks)
Plumber was busy, so I set the new toilets and a pedestal sink (Still in the midst of the housing boom, then.)
All Kohler fixtures - tile from Home Depot

$3652.80, sore back, and a happy DW.

Forgot to mention:
Plumber: about $60/hr
Tile guy: about $30/hr (Might have undercharged - friends)
If you are having tile, it's a real mess where tile is cut. Do it in the summer on the drivewayif possible.

Thanks guys for all your help ! So far it is looking less expensive than I thought . With the housing slowdown I can hopefully get a good deal on labor .

A related question is, how long does it usually take to have a bathroom remodeled? I will probably need a bathroom re-model when I retire up north, if whatever house I buy has only tubs and does not have a nice big shower. And, as long as one is remodeling, might as well put in the nice countertops, new tile floor, new sink and toilet, etc. I am thinking that it might require having the remodeling/construction guys in the house for months. (groan)

So that is a motivation to look for one with a nice big shower already, which could limit my selection pool somewhat.

Depends on the contractor. You can tear out a bathroom in a day and pretty much rebuild it in about 4-7 days. If the contractor is trying to push along 5 jobs, has some of his subs quit in mid-job, and all the other stuff that usually happens, it could take a month or more.

As far as the slowdown making contractors available...thats true but they arent the top guys. Big slowdown here but my BIL and his crew have all they can handle. So you might have more availability but the first guys cut from the jobs are the worst.

Depends on the contractor. You can tear out a bathroom in a day and pretty much rebuild it in about 4-7 days. If the contractor is trying to push along 5 jobs, has some of his subs quit in mid-job, and all the other stuff that usually happens, it could take a month or more.

As far as the slowdown making contractors available...thats true but they arent the top guys. Big slowdown here but my BIL and his crew have all they can handle. So you might have more availability but the first guys cut from the jobs are the worst.

Hmm. If it could take a month or more, it will probably take 2 months in my case (due to consistently bad luck or bad planning on my part).

Maybe I will just delay moving in and rent, until they are done. Two months' rent isn't bad. I really hate having strangers tromping through my space.

As long as your contractor doesnt have a lot of busy subs, and they dont find anything bad once they start pulling things apart, shouldnt be that bad.

As long as your contractor doesnt have a lot of busy subs, and they dont find anything bad once they start pulling things apart, shouldnt be that bad.

:D

This sounds like less of a hassle and expense than I had thought!

Now, a complete kitchen remodel with new cherry cabinets, black granite counter and backsplash and island if there's room, new stainless appliances, and new beige tile floors would probably be a lot longer and more expensive.

I love that look, though I hardly cook so I probably wouldn't do it - - unless my inheritance comes through and the kitchen in my new house is dog ugly with burned spots on the yellow formica counters and such...

I don't think my parents were inconvenienced for very long at all. They ordered everything and had it ready to go before any demolition was started. I think they did most all of it over a weekend, (maybe when the guy was available from his regular job?) because they stayed with my sister for 2-3 days during the primary work time. Maybe they put up with some of the work beforehand and this was only when they would be without anything available in the bathroom to use. The key was to get everything on hand before, make sure it was the right size, etc, and make sure the guy is ready to go start to finish.

My other tip is to wait until you have lived in the area long enough to know who is a reliable contractor.

I don't think my parents were inconvenienced for very long at all. They ordered everything and had it ready to go before any demolition was started. I think they did most all of it over a weekend, (maybe when the guy was available from his regular job?) because they stayed with my sister for 2-3 days during the primary work time. Maybe they put up with some of the work beforehand and this was only when they would be without anything available in the bathroom to use. The key was to get everything on hand before, make sure it was the right size, etc, and make sure the guy is ready to go start to finish.

My other tip is to wait until you have lived in the area long enough to know who is a reliable contractor.

Good idea. I hadn't thought of that!

Back
Top Bottom