Battery charger doesn't work

Can you hook it up to a volt meter ? See if it generates voltage.

Maybe it's working, but the lights are burned out.

No, it doesn't work that way.

Check the other posts, and read the manual that was linked. This is a 'smart' charger - it doesn't put out any voltage until it senses a reasonable battery voltage. It checks polarity, checks for voltage. Won't attempt to turn on if it doesn't look right.

This is for keeping a battery topped off, not really for charging a dead one.

-ERD50

As an earlier poster suggested, the OP should put this battery maintainer on a "known good battery", such as her daily driver, to see if the charger does the right thing.

It takes no time at all to try that out. Come on!

Last edited:
Not working, as in "does not do anything."

It has 3 little LEDs that light up for 2 seconds when connected to power source.

Then the lights go out, which they are supposed to do.

Next, either a "charging" or a "something's wrong" light are supposed to come on. Even if the battery is dead or damaged, the "something wrong" light should come on. But instead, nothing at all happens.

So I'm thinking that the charger itself may be defective.

I just returned a Canon printer to wally world because it could not power on successfully. Go figure.

How old is the battery? Some things don't last forever.

I got a digital car battery tester recently. Quite happy. I assumed the battery probably wasn't so good but no so. Test showed battery as about 99% good so I think maybe this isn't the original battery (car is about 5 years old).

+1 to those who say these "battery tenders" will not charge a fully discharged battery.

Has the OP had any luck with this in the past 4 days? Just curious.

-ERD50

Back
Top Bottom