Be careful who you talk finances with!

We get stuff in the mail or cold calls from those financial types. They are about 30 years too late and I had to do the "Do It Yerself Plan" and graduated from the "School of Hard Knocks". Now why would I want anyone's meddling when I have been retired near 5 years and making more money than I ever did when I was working? That's my opinion when I get asked.

We do not have door knockers. The Mormons go running when they get near the gate. We are set up to not be bothered.

Attachments

• Gate Protector.jpg
    Gate Protector.jpg
    332.5 KB · Views: 76
What is this "buy and pay-off your home" you speak of? I don't understand what that is.

You buy a home in some manner....... Purchase an existing home, purchase land and build a home home, etc. And you, of course, pay for it just like anything else you purchase.

I don't get what you're trying to say. You somehow get the home fraudulently without paying for it?

To you and me, paying off your home is normal.

Most people out there, will never pay off their homes.

That is the difference.

To you and me, paying off your home is normal.

Most people out there, will never pay off their homes.

That is the difference.
Do you have a source for that? It seems counter-intuitive to me. My guess would be that almost all homeowners fully pay their mortgages.

It seems to me that few people hold onto a single house for 30 years to pay-off the mortgage.
That’s different than your previous statement “Most people out there, will never pay off their homes.”.

Actually, very few mortgages are not paid. One third of all homes have no mortgage. All mortgage holders fully pay the mortgage when they sell their homes. The foreclosure rate is less than 1% and the delinquency rate is less than 4%, so even if many homeowners sell before the original mortgage term is up, almost everyone “pays off their homes”.

But, if he can sell door-to-door and maintain his personal integrity, dignity and confidence, he will go very far in life.
Don’t worry. I’m sure he’s highly ethical and wouldn’t disclose any details of your conversation.
Yup I would be reporting his unethical behavior to his company and his relatives...yes it is too late but at least I would claim my pound of flesh.

I always tried to give the impression that we were living pay check to pay check.

Although DW drove 2 used Caddys over the years, I thought they attracted too much attention, and gave the wrong impression that I was trying to project. But, they were big cars, fit the size of the family, and were dirt cheap.

When 2008-09 hit, I decided to build a stand alone garage, which required a few public hearings at the municipal building to deal with zoning issues. I had to post a big sign out in the yard giving the time and date, etc. I actually had two neighbors actually chuckle, then give remorse because things were squeezing them and ask what price I'd accept to avoid foreclosure. "FORECLOSURE!" I said," hell no, I'm adding on!"

Also, DW's friend's husband lost his job and became a FA. I declined his sales offer because of the fees his employer charged. The day he retired from that job, he told me he moved everything to Vanguard.

:LOL: omg I want one.

lol, I live in Philly, going door to door selling anything can get one shot.

LOL...not exactly door to door selling but I used to be a helper on a store delivery truck. One late evening it was getting dark and we have a refrigerator delivery to make. The neighborhood has gentrified now but then it was "rough". The driver walks up to the house as I'm in back getting ready. Driver says I got your refer here. Guy says...no, no, we don't do that stuff. LOL Driver straightened everything out and the guy got his refer

and now it's legal!!!

Right or wrong, I once told a door-to-door financial planner that I would need to see his balance sheet - and that I would only take financial advice from someone who had accumulated more $$$ than me.

Right or wrong, I once told a door-to-door financial planner that I would need to see his balance sheet - and that I would only take financial advice from someone who had accumulated more $$$ than me.

Good one! What was the response?

In our nice small town, everyone knows that door to door selling is not allowed at the 79 Villas in our CCRC. ( it's not gated).

In the 14 years since we bought our home, we've had a total of 2 door to door salespersons come to our house. In both cases, after we explained, they left and didn't go to the next home.

Well.....sure enough we had another financial advisor going door to door looking for new clients.
Seriously? That’s what they do these days? Pathetic. :uglystupid:

I figured just this one time I'd shut him down quickly before he had the chance to go on and on. He started off with his well rehearsed opening line and before he could go on I politely told him about our generous financial situation in some detail including our home being paid off.
Why didn’t you just say “Not interested”, and close the door in his face? There’s no need to be polite, or justify yourself, to cold callers.

Last edited:
The guy took some notes (although I didn't offer much in the way of details) and said he would get back with me. I never heard from him again.

What are “thin mints”? And why would you welcome their sellers? :confused:

My Canadian friend - they are cookies sold by girl scouts, who sometimes sell them door to door, although more common now to sell them outside supermarkets where they are safer.

Thanks for the kind explanation! :flowers:

A child peddling overpriced, tasteless empty calories would not be my ideal caller; but YMMV! :cool:

Thanks for the kind explanation! :flowers:

A child peddling overpriced, tasteless empty calories would not be my ideal caller; but YMMV! :cool:

ICYMI: Girl Guides have been selling cookies, door to door, in Canada, since 1927.

Ahh, my uninitiated Northern friend, thin mints are indeed overpriced, empty calories.

But, ooooooooo are they good!

Marko,

It sounds like we might start seeing more door to door type financial advisor sales people. So far all I have observed are the mailings inviting me to have a free dinner while listening to their sales pitch.

JP

I filled out a thingy from Kaiser to get ready for Medicare. Next thing I know someone's knocking on my door (wife answers) and I hear the guy mention that he's also a financial adviser. It surprised me hearing that. I told my wife, "Yeah, I'm going to give my life savings over to a door to door salesman". What could go wrong?

Many times I have offered the challenge if their Net Worth is bigger than mine, AND if they pay less taxes than I pay, then I would be willing to hear their strategy.

Yea but he got all his riches from overcharging clients? Back in the days of trading, my best broker used to ride the bus with me. He would find great stocks but his shortcoming was discouraging sale of same. Yet he got paid on transactions!

We don't talk with anybody directly but it's hard to hide our vacations from close friends/relatives. We down play it. We talk about using points and getting good deals. If we fly first class we don't talk about it or post the Facebook photos that "accidentally" show first class amenities in the background. However, we take a lot of trips and go around the world so anybody adding it up could figure we are doing ok.

Back
Top Bottom