Best Fast Food Burgers & Fries

Within a five mile radius of me there are numerous different burger joints... but the nearby Whataburger is the best [and one of the less expensive.]

I also like Dairy Queen. But it is further away and when I do eat there I usually get the DQ Dude [chicken fried steak on a bun with lettuce and tomato instead of hamburger meat.] It's a yummy Southern thing.

Last edited:
I brought up chick fila and not DD. Strict about the serious subject of burgers are we:))?
If you have to belabor it, 4 members jumped on it (deliberately not named) and it predictably led to a bigotry debate, not welcome, that was the issue. Again, start a thread on Chick-fil-A if you like.

Go to McD once in awhile in FLA. One can put in their order on an automated machine with payment and then they bring the order to you. So very efficient process, which I have not seen in the Northeast.

The self ordering at McD arrived recently in MD. They had a hostess helping people figure it out. They suggest you can still order at the counter (for now). It doesn't seem popular among older patrons but I like having a choice (esp. the the place is super busy) even though self serve might be slower than the old fashioned way. WaWa and Royal Farms had this system for years and it works well when you custom order sandwiches (extra cheese, no mayo, etc.). A guy next to me bitched about it and I told him "we already get our own drinks, so it won't be long before we have to cook our own burgers".

Could we please stick to fast food burgers and fries and leave Chick-fil-A and other non burger places, and especially management/owners beliefs out of it before a Mod has to intervene?

The Chick doesn't do burgers, but their breakfast cheese/sausage biscuit is getting pretty close and is to die for.
But for true burgers around here Freddy's wins followed by Sonic.

I had read good reviews about that chain. So when one opened up here in my hometown I wanted to try it out. Shortly after it opened, I received a promotion in the mail... a free burger and fries. It was a good thing I didn't have to waste good money on what turned out to be one of the worst burger and fries I've ever been served. Maybe it was just an off day for the cooks, but I am never going back.

We tend to hit Wendy's, Burger King, and Arby's regularly. We have a new Culvers nearby that we like. I will avoid McDonalds if I can. We stopped once at a Steak n Shake, and is was so dirty DW will never do it again.

It has been 10 years since i've been to a fast food restaurant I think. our fast food is Subway, and then only when traveling. I cook every night :)

Seems to be un Canadian? Focused on Ford country?

The only one we've been to is in Napanee.......(home of Avril Lavigne...woo woo :) )

I had my first Culver's burger in the early 1980s at their first restaurant, in Sauk City, Wis. The quality of their beef is excellent, but they're a little pricey compared to their peers. They follow a fast-food genre common to southern Wisconsin, the burger-and-frozen-custard formula. On that scale they're probably a B-plus -- good, but there are better eateries in the area that haven't gone the franchise route.

Their fries are crinkle-cut and on the soft side. I like them, but others may consider them soggy. They aren't greasy.

I've come to prefer Culver's pot roast sandwich to their burgers -- meatier and not as fatty as a burger with toppings.

Mooyah burgers are pretty good.

Mooyah burgers are pretty good I will admit. But wait is fairly long.

But priced about what a good local bar burger (and generally much better) around here is. Plus you can get a beer with it so don't do Mooyah much.

I have yet to see a Chic-Fil-A, In-and-Out, or Whataburger here. We do have Smashburger and Five Guys but I’m not impressed. If I want a fast food burger, a McD’s Quarter Pounder hits the spot. But actually the burger at the small cafe a block from me is the best. They do take out!

Here's my favorites:

Five Guys
BurgerFi
Steak ‘n Shake
Culver’s

I have had many of these in my misspent youth, but they are off the list forever :)

McDonalds
Burger King
Sonic
Dairy Queen
Rally’s
White Castle

I have never tried these:

In-n-Out
Shake Shack

Last edited:
For me its Culver's, then BurgerFi, Counter (higher end but very unique burgers), Five Guys

I have yet to see a Chic-Fil-A, In-and-Out, or Whataburger here. We do have Smashburger and Five Guys but I’m not impressed. If I want a fast food burger, a McD’s Quarter Pounder hits the spot. But actually the burger at the small cafe a block from me is the best. They do take out!

Sometimes the "mom and pop" places are the best.

Whataburger is a chain, headquartered in San Antonio, Texas. We've had them here in my Texas hometown for many decades. The classic Whataburger hamburger is an oversized bun and an oversized beef hamburger patty to match, chopped iceberg lettuce, chopped onions, tomatoes and mustard. With tax, here in DFW it cost a little less than $4.

I know most hamburgers chains today put ketchup on their hamburgers [must be a Yankee thing ;)] and you have that option too at Whataburger. But I prefer the old-fashioned Southern version with mustard. Yummm...

Last edited:
I prefer the old-fashioned Southern version with mustard. Yummm...

Is that real mustard, (i.e. Keens or Colman's), or that yucky bland Heinz stuff? :)

Is that real mustard, (i.e. Keens or Colman's), or that yucky bland Heinz stuff? :)

I think it's their own special mustard recipe. It is yummy and I ask for extra mustard and extra tomatoes.

That's another good thing about Whataburger... you can special order whatever you want or don't want on it.

Back
Top Bottom