Best Metrics of Health

... So, the older you are, the less likely you will be able to get up and down with no hands. And, BTW, the more likely you are to die.

Of course.

The thing to worry about is when you have the mobility of an 80-year-old, when you are 60. :LOL:

Appears to be a quick test of your flexibility, strength, and above all BALANCE. All translates to mobility and where you are along the continuum of the aging process.

I'm 70, can do it, but not as easily as I could 5 years ago!

Even as a measure of physical fitness, you need to compare to cohorts of the same age group.

How many people at 70 can still stand up without using hands? I am willing to bet that not too many can. Probably less than 1 in 10. I would not be surprised to learn it's less than 1 in 20.

I can do it easily and I am 72 .In rehab we had to do it several times to pass a certain level I aced it on the first try .

These simple “tests” are meaningless. Also, grip strength is related to hand size, testosterone level, etc. In other words, gender differences due to hormones. My son is short and very slender-his hands are my size. His grip strength isn’t that great. Even getting up from sitting without hands is a silly measure. When I was just over 32, I couldn’t have done it. But I was very pregnant. I was terrible at pushups even when I ran 3-5 miles and did weights more frequently. I can easily swim a mile without fatigue.

Most of the women and many of the men in my parent’s generation (both sides), lived into their 90s. They didn’t smoke and rarely drank. And there was no junk food in their lives, and exercise came only from active daily living. I doubt my dad’s aunts did pushups at all. Heavy tobacco use and a drinking culture became much more prominent when my parents were teenagers, strongly affecting that generation and mine.

Doesn't matter how fit you are, or how fit you think you are, don't get too complacent.

My last spreadsheet entry, in mid March, showed I was averaging between 1,800 and 2,300 risers a day while stair walking......then..infection & sepsis.

Always look over your shoulder, because 'it', in many forms, is coming to get you. :LOL:

Understanding that physical fitness is a measure of health, I think there are other measures much more important. When I'm at the gym, I see lots of young men with the focus on a muscular body (often with the help of steroids).

The true measure of health is a healthy A1C, HSCRP, BP, Pulse/respiration rate, fasting blood glucose level at 0, 1, 2, 3 hour increments (the gold standard for seeing how well one's body handles sugar), Total cholesterol, LDL, GFR (glomrular filtration rate) and liver test.

Last edited:
Seems like those are metrics of physical fitness rather than health per se, although of course there's a correlation.

I don't have much faith in standard blood markers. Some are useful.

I think the best measure of your health is how you feel. Do you feel healthy -- vibrant, good mood, good energy, etc.? I'm not saying it's foolproof (we all know people who felt healthy then dropped dead), but I think we don't often enough listen to our own bodies and instead outsource our opinions to isolated blood markers etc.

Yes it was, if you looked at the actual test results and how many in each age group were able to get a high score. There were significant decreases in ability with age.

So, the older you are, the less likely you will be able to get up and down with no hands. And, BTW, the more likely you are to die.

Performance by almost all measures decreases with age, but that was not the point of this hypothesis. The study that was done suggested the inability to do the exercise to diminishing longevity irrespective of age. Thats not to say the suggested hypothesis was correct or done in a statistically meaningful way that correlated the inability to do the sit/stand vs aging by itself and I never suggested it did. However, there is no denying the ongoing loss of muscle mass, flexibility, aerobic capacity, etc are all factors that might move a person closer to their demise regardless of age. If that wasn't the case, no one would be exercising in the later years of life. Nevertheless, I am sure there are other factors that could make doing the sit/standup more difficult for some and in no way be indicative of a shorter lifespan. For me, my long legs, heavier upper torso, and arthritis in knees/hips make it impossible, but I can still do some pretty heavy compound lifts for my age, although I've phased out those exercises from my current workouts.

I didn't try very hard, because I've had some recent issues with pulled muscles and didn't want to re-injure myself, but I could even come close to getting up without my hands. However, I ran 13.5 miles at a steady pace earlier in the day. I've always had poor flexibility, and I could see that leading to issues someday, but I know I'm in good shape. And I'm sure there are people who can't run two miles that are in very good shape.

My safe muscle strengthening exercise is treading water for an hour. I mean not touching the sides and keeping your shoulders above the water line. I tread in 9 ft of water and mimic jogging, twisting around, back push while keeping my head above water at all times.

I didn't try very hard, because I've had some recent issues with pulled muscles and didn't want to re-injure myself, but I could even come close to getting up without my hands. However, I ran 13.5 miles at a steady pace earlier in the day. I've always had poor flexibility, and I could see that leading to issues someday, but I know I'm in good shape. And I'm sure there are people who can't run two miles that are in very good shape.

As long as one stays active, it's good.

I didn't try very hard, because I've had some recent issues with pulled muscles and didn't want to re-injure myself, but I could even come close to getting up without my hands.
I think if you practiced for a month then you would have no problem unless you were injured. Same goes for getting 40 push-ups in less than minute.

I couldn't do both of those last year, but they are now easy to do.

Part of all this is motivation, consistency, and conscientiousness. Many people don't like the challenge, so they don't get off their butts. And they don't like criticism either.

But many of "the regulars" on this forum are getting on in years and will start dying off. Not a bad outcome for an "early retirement" internet forum, eh?

Last edited:
If you have a good/normal BMI, it doesn't mean you are healthy. If you have a high BMI it doesn't mean you are unhealthy, but you have a high BMI which in itself is an indicator of something.

All people who smoke are unhealthy. Even if they think they aren't at this second they are or will be.

If you can't do one pushup, that is some type of indicator. If you can do 10, 20 or 100 I'm not sure those are substantially different. Indicating strength, not necessarily health.

Health is the ability of the body to heal itself. There are differing levels of "tests" to that ability. No easy answer with any single of group of metrics.

If you can't do one pushup, that is some type of indicator. If you can do 10, 20 or 100 I'm not sure those are substantially different. Indicating strength, not necessarily health.
Ask your heart if doing 100 push-ups in 90 seconds is the same as doing 20 in 90 seconds. :)

What is a good time for a 70 yo on the Concept 2 rower? I was able to do 514 M in 2 minutes this afternoon, although I do not use the machine very often. My cardio sucks, so maybe I need to incorporate more rowing into my workouts, but I wonder if this could be a useful measure of health.

My safe muscle strengthening exercise is treading water for an hour. I mean not touching the sides and keeping your shoulders above the water line. I tread in 9 ft of water and mimic jogging, twisting around, back push while keeping my head above water at all times.
Great exercise. No way I could do it. But much harder for a guy.

What is a good time for a 70 yo on the Concept 2 rower? I was able to do 514 M in 2 minutes this afternoon, although I do not use the machine very often. My cardio sucks, so maybe I need to incorporate more rowing into my workouts, but I wonder if this could be a useful measure of health.

No idea. I usually do at least 2000m. I used to do far longer.

No idea. I usually do at least 2000m. I used to do far longer.

Thats a great distance. At the pace I was going I was spent after the 2 minutes. Not sure what it would take to build up to those longer distances at a high stroke rate.

Great exercise. No way I could do it. But much harder for a guy.
I got the routine from watching seal team 6 guys on youtube do a water workout. They wear clothes and carry heavy things while doing it. :) I just mimic the motions. Must be consistent for a full hour or more.

I got the routine from watching seal team 6 guys on youtube do a water workout. They wear clothes and carry heavy things while doing it. :) I just mimic the motions. Must be consistent for a full hour or more.
Very impressive!

Thats a great distance. At the pace I was going I was spent after the 2 minutes. Not sure what it would take to build up to those longer distances at a high stroke rate.

I’m not doing a high stroke rate.

2,000 meters is pretty much the standard workout on the Concept 2 rower.

I use 10 minutes as a standard and I'm in my 70s.

I am not sure I could do 2000M in ten minutes, but for sure I could not do 10 minutes at a 500M/2 minute rate. That would kill me. I've never been much of a distance athlete, sprinting yes, like in 100M. Nevertheless, its something I need to work on to improve my cardio.

I’ve rowed 298,574* meters on my C2, but it took a few years. I only row seasonally - when it’s too hot to cycle or go for long walks outdoors.

I have to take care with my knees, plus I’m short, female. It used to take me 12 mins or a bit less to row 2000m. I row slightly slower now because I’m just looking to spend time in a good high aerobic zone with minimal joint trauma. And building up distance again.

Anyway, sounds like you guys 10 years my senior are doing good!

*Hmm, I think I will rollover today!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom