Best Scenes in Movie History?

Birdie Num Nums

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Tonight the TV Movie Channel broadcast "The Graduate." That's MY favorite movie of all time.

I once again enjoyed that significant scene midway that connects the first half of the movie to the last half, with Mrs. Robinson and Benjamin in Room 568 trying to converse about... well, about anything... including that Ford!! What great writing, directing, acting, editing!

What other classic movie scenes do you enjoy?

Last edited:
The gunfight between Shane and Wilson. "You're a Low down yankee liar".. "Prove it!" :cool:.

First radio contact with Apollo 13 after reentry.

The long take that ends "The Third Man" that leaves the Protagonist (Holly Martins) standing stock still, as the Woman (Anna Schmidt) heels right past him in silence and disdain. He lights a cigarette, and the smoke seems to be a punctuation mark to her disappearing silhouette as she walks steadily out of his life. The camera follows her until she vanishes.

Last edited:
Saving Private Ryan

The movie's final scene in the Normandy cemetery.

For this gang, John Goodman's "the position of FU" speech about FU money in The Gambler.

I was actually going to add the opening scene for Saving Private Ryan when the US troops are landing on the beach at Normandy. Such an epic movie.

+1
I was exhausted after watching that scene.

Alfred Hitchcock directed countless great scenes. “North By Northwest” has one after another with the memorable Mount Rushmore chase at the end. I heard one time the working title was “The Man In Lincoln’s Nose”.

The Bedford Incident - "Fire One".

Many great movies mentioned here already.

I'll go with the the horseback shoot out scene near the end of True Grit between Rooster Cogburn (John Wayne) and Lucky Ned Pepper (Robert Duvall). Great dialogue between the two before the shooting starts. "Fill your hands...."

In recent films, Margot Robbie in The Big Short explaining sub-prime mortgages while drinking champagne in a bubble bath, was pure brilliance.

[mod note - language]

Last edited by a moderator:
The bathroom scene with Jeff Daniels in Dumb and Dumber.

The long take that ends "The Third Man" that leaves the Protagonist (Holly Martins) standing stock still, as the Woman (Anna Schmidt) heels right past him in silence and disdain. He lights a cigarette, and the smoke seems to be a punctuation mark to her disappearing silhouette as she walks steadily out of his life. The camera follows her until she vanishes.

I love that movie. The scene with the drunken balloon vendor is also great, as are so many others.

Touch of Evil opening scene:

...a no-cut, no editing tricks, work of genius by Orson Wells. Well worth your time, even if the move is a bit...dated.

Back
Top Bottom