Best tax estimate sites?

fisemper

Recycles dryer sheets
I'm looking to find a good site that includes the NIIT paid on top of capital gains. I just found out about this tax this week and it put a major dent in my plans so I need to go back and readjust. IRS website only shows this as additional medicare tax. Based on my situation and depending on outcome(sell price/time), I'm expecting an extra 17K-33K that will need to be paid, yet the IRS estimate was just over 4K, but overall tax was very high.

I have this set up on my investment spreadsheet, but would like to know I am doing the calculations correct. I'm going with anything over the $250K (married joint) limit being 3.8% additional. (How is this not double taxation:confused:):(

It's not double taxation. It's a tiered tax rate. :(

So, it sounds like you're looking at $447K-$868K of taxable capital gains beyond the $250K income threshold for the NIIT. That's a wide range to account for.

Last edited:
Very much appreciated. Looks in-depth so I'll take some time to play around with these.

While I like the dinkytown calculator I'm not sure if it include NIIT or not.

Another option if you use TurboTax is to go back to your 2019 return and open up a What-If worksheet.... I'm pretty sure that would include NIIT but don't know for sure.

Another option if you use TurboTax is to go back to your 2019 return and open up a What-If worksheet.... I'm pretty sure that would include NIIT but don't know for sure.
I believe I did something like that back in 2018 when we were selling our house, but I had to deal with the changes to the tax rates and rules that impacted just how accurate of an estimate I could get.

Given our house sale in California was going to subject us to the NIIT, I ended up using a spreadsheet as most of the calculators didn't account for it. My spreadsheet and TurboTax What-If were in the same ballpark, so I was good with that. Turns out I was low by less than 0.5% of the filed NIIT amount.

Last edited:
+1. Best estimator I’ve found, and another benefit to using TT.

Last edited:
................................. IRS website only shows this as additional medicare tax. Based on my situation and depending on outcome(sell price/time), I'm expecting an extra 17K-33K that will need to be paid, yet the IRS estimate was just over 4K, but overall tax was very high.

.......................................................(

Not sure what you're looking at on IRS website but additional medicare tax and NIIT are different by a factor 4+

"14. Will I have to pay both the 3.8% Net Investment Income Tax and the additional .9% Medicare tax?
You may be subject to both taxes, but not on the same type of income.

The 0.9% Additional Medicare Tax applies to individuals’ wages, compensation and self-employment income over certain thresholds, but it does not apply to income items included in Net Investment Income. See more information on the Additional Medicare Tax."

Back
Top Bottom